Do you drive wifey around on motorbike with side cart (saleng) ?

My wife owns one, as does pretty much everybody else that lives out in the country. It's her go to vehicle when she goes off down the dirt tracks and across the fields foraging. And yes, I have been on it as a passenger on short trips around the village.

I've never driven it myself but then again I've never ridden any kind of motorcycle. And I never will. 

4 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

I've never driven it myself but then again I've never ridden any kind of motorcycle. And I never will

Give it a go, you'll find it's a lot of fun. 

Just don't hurt yourself, maybe gets some pointers from the kids. 

7 hours ago, loong said:

A Farang driving a motorbike and sidecar with passenger(s) in the sidecar may draw the attention of the police as an easy way to make a few baht!

You can carry goods but not passengers in the sidecar.

I have been using a side car now for 6 years ever since a hip replacement op, never a problem with the BIB. having been riding motorbikes for 40years plus no problem.

The problem with Thai sidecars is that they are never set up right, they never get the right toe in on the sidecar right, that makes them difficult to ride, the wife's side car was bad until I set it up right, now it rides a treat. 

Where you get, you can only carry goods not passengers from I do not know, look around you not all side cars are used for selling hotdogs and meat balls, defiantly more outfits hauling people than goods. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gandtee said:

The pic is not mine. I made a copy of the Busmar Astral sidecar and fitted to my Triumph Thunderbird. My wife, three kids and my mate on the back, did some great trips. Some horrible bugger nicked it on Mothers Day when we were about go to visit her.image.jpeg.967f2fbf21c1f308144adaffad7edee9.jpeg

Looking at that timing cover bike looks mor like a BSA 650 A10.

3 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Looking at that timing cover bike looks mor like a BSA 650 A10.

Correct. I used the picture to show the sidecar. I had a 650 Triumph 6T Thunderbird with a sprung hub.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Where you get, you can only carry goods not passengers from I do not know, look around you not all side cars are used for selling hotdogs and meat balls, defiantly more outfits hauling people than goods. 

Agree taking kids to and from school, 6 up......to 7/11 everywhere.

New born from hospital. Lit barbeque with baby sleeping.

12 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

My ole lady is to hiso to even contemplate riding in a saleng with a foreigner at the helm. Maybe as a crutch if foreigner has no balance but then a car or truck seems better.

You've got to make it comfortable for her ladyness.

sidecar.jpg.e542e700eb88f1f264b71716c5ea83e9.jpg

For a non biker, a bike and sidecar might be OK. However, as a biker, I just can't get used to the damned things, I try to make them lean around corners which gets me into all sorts of trouble - the passengers get a bit upset when I try that on a right hander.

13 hours ago, brianthainess said:

So not a Jump start ?..............:giggle:

My back is playing up these days Brian, too much like hard work.

• Agree 1

There use to be a foreigner in Chiang Mai that had a Yamaha VMax 1200cc with a saleng.  It looked kinda cool.   He used it to haul stuff about, made out of galvanised pipe. 

And boy was it quick off the mark 

Imagine one of these with a saleng:

1985_Yamaha_VMAX_right_front_profile.jpg.3377094d640950e3a56ad45e05be7612.jpg

Been here going on 12 years. I have nothing but motorcycles for transportation.  The wife rides everywhere with me. I told her if she doesn't like it, she can walk. Or if she wants a car she can buy one with her own money.  The last thing my wife does is pressure me on what I buy. 

• Like 1