Obtaining an International Driving Permit

I've just got back from my local Department of Land Transport Office in Sam Phran. I was hoping they would be able to issue an International Driving Permit which I need to hire a car in the UK in the near future, previously my Thai licence was good enough but that is no longer the case. I was told I had to go to Bangkok to get an IDP but my Thai is not good enough understand exactly where I needed to go. 

I need some guidance on :

1) Where exactly I need to go in Bangkok to get an IDP.

2) What documents I need to show.

Thanks in advance for any relevant advice.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, stupidfarang said:

Before you go to BKK, check that you have had a Thai licence for the full five years, as when I went to get an international licence all was good until they seen that I had not had the full five years on my Thai  licence (had 4 years 8 months) so they would not issuse me one and the first two year Thai  licence is not counted.

Not a problem. Had a Thai licence since 2005. But thanks for pointing that out.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, IronByron said:

..valid for one year only?

The DLT site is not current. The info may be good, as far as it goes, except the IDP from the 1968 Vienna Treaty is also available and not even mentioned. Thailand joined that treaty on May 1st, 2020.

The 1968 IDP is good for three years. The OP should have the option for either IDP.

The UK ratified the 1968 Vienna Treaty in 2018.

Edited by Smokin Joe
Added UK date
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Smokin Joe said:

The DLT site is not current. The info may be good, as far as it goes, except the IDP from the 1968 Vienna Treaty is also available and not even mentioned. Thailand joined that treaty on May 1st, 2020.

The 1968 IDP is good for three years. The OP should have the option for either IDP.

That's worth knowing. Thanks.

Last 2 times I hired a car in the UK using my Thai license I didn't need an IDP. I had bought one online just in case though.

June last year. Green Motion, offsite near Heathrow.

Beginning of this month, Enterprise / National / Alamo at Heathrow.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

Before you go to BKK, check that you have had a Thai licence for the full five years, as when I went to get an international licence all was good until they seen that I had not had the full five years on my Thai  licence (had 4 years 8 months) so they would not issuse me one and the first two year Thai  licence is not counted.

I have obtained an IDP at Bang Chak with less than a full 5 years validity remaining on my 5 year Thai driving license.

19 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Last 2 times I hired a car in the UK using my Thai license I didn't need an IDP. I had bought one online just in case though.

June last year. Green Motion, offsite near Heathrow.

Beginning of this month, Enterprise / National / Alamo at Heathrow.

Many posters on this forum have said the same thing. IDP not required in the UK.

Last year I hired from Eurocar, no problem. This year no go. If you use a UK bank credit card you have to be UK resident. No exceptions. I go back to the UK most years and previously credit card, passport, and Thai DL were OK. No more.  Check the T&C's carefully. I do. Things are tightening up. I would not be after an IDL if it was not absolutely necessary.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

FYI, Enterprise now require an IDL. Last year they did not. I've booked Enterprise. Their detailed T&Cs say an IDP is needed.  Not taking any chances.

Edited by GuyDow
Incomplete
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Many posters on this forum have said the same thing. IDP not required in the UK.

Maybe not before. I just know what the T&C's of the hire company's say. It's more stringent than last year.

Edited by GuyDow
Replied to wrong post
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, GuyDow said:

FYI, Enterprise now require an IDL. Last year they did not.

They didn't 4 weeks ago at Heathrow.

From Enterprise's web site Q & As:  'All drivers must produce a full, valid driving licence. Non-EU licence holders are required to have an international driving permit if the licence is not in English. All renters must produce photographic ID - this can be a passport or driving licence'. 

Thai licenses are in Thai and English, so what's the problem?

https://www.enterprise.co.uk/en/help/faqs.html

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

They didn't 4 weeks ago at Heathrow.

Fine. But their T&C's say one is required. I think it's OTT because all the driver info is already on the Thai DL in English. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, GuyDow said:

Fine. But their T&C's say one is required. I think it's OTT because all the driver info is already on the Thai DL in English. 

See my post above.

OK. Now everyone is telling me I don't need an IDP. Maybe they are right but the T&Cs from my booking say one is required. I intend to abide by that. Maybe it won't be required as agents have discretion on acceptable documentation. But I'm not taking any chances on this. Thanks to all who responded to my original questions. That's all for now folks!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, freeworld said:

I have obtained an IDP at Bang Chak with less than a full 5 years validity remaining on my 5 year Thai driving license.

I am not surprised, I have found the the way the law or regulations are enforced changes from office to office

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, stupidfarang said:

I am not surprised, I have found the the way the law or regulations are enforced changes from office to office

Practically an IDP should be issued. IDP used to be for one year, now it is 3 years. If one has remaining validity on a 5 year driving licenese to cover the IDP time issue then there should be no impediment to issuing an IDP.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, GuyDow said:

OK. Now everyone is telling me I don't need an IDP. Maybe they are right but the T&Cs from my booking say one is required. I intend to abide by that. Maybe it won't be required as agents have discretion on acceptable documentation. But I'm not taking any chances on this. Thanks to all who responded to my original questions. That's all for now folks!

Their T&Cs probably say that, as they're not aware that a Thai DL is printed in English!  An IDP is just a translation of the licence.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

I didn't encounter this last year at Nan DLT when I got an IDP. My Thai DL history at the time was Thai 2Y DL, then Thai 2Y DL, then 8 months into a Thai 5Y DL. My understanding was that your current Thai DL had to be 5Y...but that's just what I understand, no idea if correct or not. In any case, the unwritten DLT office misunderstandings/preferences/variations/facilitations rules and processes invariably play a part in what happens.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

You buy online, with valid license. One offers 10 years, most 5 years. I paid about $125.

$125 is a lot of money for a fake license. A genuine one is much cheaper.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Colabamumbai said:

You buy online, with valid license. One offers 10 years, most 5 years. I paid about $125.

Why would he pay $125 for a dodgy document that the consensus suggests he doesn't even need.