1 Year Immigration Check in for LTR-P Visa

Hello all--

I'm lucky enough to have received an LTR-P visa (wealthy pensioner). This is a 5-year visa with a 5-year option to renew. The usual 90-day check in with immigration is waived. However, there is a 1-year requirement for check in with immigration. When I went to immigration, they told me to fill out the 90-day form and come back in 90-days. I explained that it had been 1 year since I last came into the country. They told me that I should wait another 90 days before checking in. Is that correct? So, to be specific, I entered the country on May 5, 2023. I left in September 2023, and came back May 2, 2024 but they are saying that I do not need to renew until August, 2023. I don't want to lose this precious thing. Any advice?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, pedritosan said:

Hello all--

I'm lucky enough to have received an LTR-P visa (wealthy pensioner). This is a 5-year visa with a 5-year option to renew. The usual 90-day check in with immigration is waived. However, there is a 1-year requirement for check in with immigration. When I went to immigration, they told me to fill out the 90-day form and come back in 90-days. I explained that it had been 1 year since I last came into the country. They told me that I should wait another 90 days before checking in. Is that correct? So, to be specific, I entered the country on May 5, 2023. I left in September 2023, and came back May 2, 2024 but they are saying that I do not need to renew until August, 2023. I don't want to lose this precious thing. Any advice?

this is really another absurdity of the immigration. how is one supposed to renew on the day those gods in uniforms decide, if one happens not to be in the country and has planned to go back home abroad ? 

Does that mean the LTR will just expire ? Looks that immigration are doing their best to harass people with LTR because they feel they are loosing their hand, their monopoly and with time, their jobs (that would definately be benefical IMHO considering who immigration is ruining the economy and chasing wealthy retirees out of the country).

• Confused 2

17 hours ago, pedritosan said:

Hello all--

With LTR you get free multiple re-entry permits. Like with annual extensions with non O or OA when you leave the country before your next report date (1 year), it is extended when you re-enter from one year so it seems your original 1 year report date was extended another 90 days. At immigration you should get a notice put in you passport with the new reporting date. There is no penalty. As your re-entry date documents your return date to Thailand, the IO may have felt you new report date is apparent without having to put a new date in your passport? Not something I would take for granted.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Sigmund said:

We all wrongfully thought that once you get the preicous so called 10 year LTR all the hassles would be over with those fine immigration fellows.

The best thing in Thailand is to just get an agent to get your things done, including your retirement visa and never step into the immigration office. I avoided the immigration office for 7 years and always got things done by agents. Last March, I wanted to get a taste of the IO office to get my residence certificate for my MC license. They looked at my stapled TM30 and said it was out of date. I ran from there and went to my agent, who got everything done for me, including a brand new TM30 without any documents. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

19 hours ago, pedritosan said:

there is a 1-year requirement for check in with immigration

There is no requirement for an annual check-in. Just as with the 90 day reporting, there is a requirement to report if you have resided continuously in Thailand for more than one year. Anytime you leave the country, that one year clock starts again upon your return. 

I entered the country on May 5, 2023. I left in September 2023, and came back May 2, 2024

You have not been in Thailand continuously for one year, so there's no need for you to report at all. 

they told me to fill out the 90-day form and come back in 90-days

They clearly don't understand the rules for the LTR (which has existed for over a year and a half at this point, so the "it's new" excuse is wearing thin). The form is different, and the reporting timeframe is different. They gave you instructions as though you were supposed to do 90 day reporting, which you aren't.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, pedritosan said:

However, there is a 1-year requirement for check in with immigration. When I went to immigration, they told me to fill out the 90-day form and come back in 90-days. I explained that it had been 1 year since I last came into the country. They told me that I should wait another 90 days before checking in. Is that correct?

No, it reads to me that the immigration individual made a mistake asking you to return in 90-days and they are likely unfamiliar with the LTR Visa.

The first time I re-entered Thailand with an LTR visa at Phuket, it created a big 'buzz' of excitement, and a bit of a huddle of a few IO, as they rarely see an LTR visa in Phuket (according to what my Thai wife was told by one of the IO).  That was early last autumn last year.

Then about 2 weeks ago, when I re-entered Thailand with an LTR visa (again at Phuket), I passed to the IO my passport opened at the LTR visa page, and made a point of VERY politely indicating the LTR-Visa stamp when I handed it to the IO (because my passport has many stamps and I was afraid the IO might miss the LTR visa stamp).  The IO stared at the LTR-WP visa stamp for a long time then the IO held it up to the glass to the adjacent IO booth.  That IO in the adjacent boot stated "LTR (  + something in Thai ) and then walked around to the immigration booth where I (and my IO) were at, and from what I could understand explained to 'my IO' as to how to handle an LTR visa.

So its clear to me the LTR visa is still 'relatively new' and hence I believe those 90-day report comments are simply from an IO who is NOT yet familiar with the LTR visa.  If it were me, and if that 'return in 90-day request' were to happen, I would VERY POLITELY ask for confirmation from the IO's boss as to the 90-day report request being needed (politely pointing out a reference page on LTR visa requirements) , as it is clear that a 90-day report is not a nominal requirement for an LTR visa.

This LTR visa is still new - and some learning (and some mistakes) are likely still being made.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

The best thing in Thailand is to just get an agent to get your things done, including your retirement visa and never step into the immigration office. I avoided the immigration office for 7 years and always got things done by agents. Last March, I wanted to get a taste of the IO office to get my residence certificate for my MC license. They looked at my stapled TM30 and said it was out of date. I ran from there and went to my agent, who got everything done for me, including a brand new TM30 without any documents. 

The beauty of the LTR visa is it is valid for 10 years.  No need to go for an agent EVERY YEAR.  No need to pay an agent - EVERY YEAR.

Further, one can apply for the LTR-visa - where in my case I uploaded all the documents with a laptop computer from my condo balcony (with a great sea view) with my feet up, sipping a glass of wine.  Why pay an agent - as I meet the requirements and I don't have to wait at immigration ?

I do thou, have a couple of good friends who share your view and always use an agent. They easily meet the Type-O visa financial requirements, and they do NOT want to wait with the hordes at immigration ever year.  So EVERY YEAR they pay an agent (which includes handing over 'power of attorney' to the agent for the Type-O visa extensions) and this reduces my friends travel EVERY YEAR to 1 or 2 trips to see the agent, and 1 trip to immigration to pick up the passport when the extension stamp is in place. 

Each to their own - but I note the LTR visa is for 10 years ( with financial proof and likely a trip to Bangkok to have next 5 year stamp applied needed).  I much prefer that over yearly going for a 1-year extension via an Agent.  Again - each to their own.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, pedritosan said:

Hello all--

When you leave Thailand and come back the one year time period resets.  You do it one year after your return date. If you leave once a year you never have to do it. Email the LTR center. They are professional and will give you the best answers. 

• Agree 1

On 5/3/2024 at 11:59 AM, pedritosan said:

This is a 5-year visa with a 5-year option to renew.

Hi, if you have an LTR visa it's a 10 year visa (and you have already paid for all 10 years) - with a 5 year permission to stay.

On 5/3/2024 at 11:59 AM, pedritosan said:

They told me that I should wait another 90 days before checking in. Is that correct? So, to be specific, I entered the country on May 5, 2023. I left in September 2023, and came back May 2, 2024

If you just re-entered Thailand on 2 May 2024, then with the LTR visa you have no reporting requirement until May 2025. If you have any doubt about this please check with the LTR unit itself. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, oldcpu said:

This LTR visa is still new - and some learning (and some mistakes) are likely still being made.

Yup exactly, happens even in Bangkok. Went through the Suvarnabhumi Fast Track channel (where you would expect the IOs to be very familiar with LTR since it's one of the few permissible visa types to use Fast Track) a week ago and at first the IO stamped me in visa exempt, then she asked whether I have a visa and I said LTR and pointed out the LTR visa stamp page, she then manually edited and signed the immigration stamp and revised permission to stay until date. Made a mental note to point out the LTR visa page proactively during future returns to Thailand.

8 hours ago, Srikcir said:

From the LTR Visa unit last year:

LTR Visa holders residing in Thailand continuously for more than 1 year are required to report their current address to the local Immigration office of their residence. This report can be done either in person or by an authorized representative and must be completed annually from the LTR Visa issuance date. However, for individuals re-entering the Kingdom, the report will be due 1 year from the date of the latest arrival. LTR Visa holders can submit the report 15 days before or 7 days after the due date.

----------------------------------------------------------

The necessary documents for this report include:

1. Passport

2. TM.95 Form (completely filled out and signed) [Download link: https://www.immigration.go.th/?avada_portfolio=คำสั่งสำนักงานตรวจคนเข-3 (Page 14)

3. T.M. 6 Card (or arrival/departure card if applicable)

4. 1-Year report notification card (if available)

If your local Immigration Bureau does not recognize the LTR Visa, you can provide them with the official announcement link on page 6 here: https://www.immigration.go.th/?avada_portfolio=คำสั่งสำนักงานตรวจคนเข-3

-----------------------------------------------------------

I extracted the TM95 from the download link.

BOI is very responsive to LTR visa holder questions by phone and email.

TM95.pdf 179.74 kB · 2 downloads

Exactly.  I couldn't have said it any better.

55 minutes ago, aublumberg said:

Yup exactly, happens even in Bangkok. Went through the Suvarnabhumi Fast Track channel (where you would expect the IOs to be very familiar with LTR since it's one of the few permissible visa types to use Fast Track) a week ago and at first the IO stamped me in visa exempt, then she asked whether I have a visa and I said LTR and pointed out the LTR visa stamp page, she then manually edited and signed the immigration stamp and revised permission to stay until date. Made a mental note to point out the LTR visa page proactively during future returns to Thailand.

Surely the information about your visa type must be in the computer database which they check when they 'swipe' your passport?

26 minutes ago, kimothai said:

the only requirement is to report once a year to immigration using a tm95 and that's only if you don't exit Thailand in which case the 1-year clock starts again

anyone has experience reporting  tm 95 to their local immigration yet? Trying to avoid going to Bangkok or exit country for annual check in. I live in chiang mai . Thanks 

44 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Surely the information about your visa type must be in the computer database which they check when they 'swipe' your passport?

You'd think so, yes. With a human in the middle theory and practice don't always match.

17 hours ago, oldcpu said:

The beauty of the LTR visa is it is valid for 10 years.  No need to go for an agent EVERY YEAR.  No need to pay an agent - EVERY YEAR.

Further, one can apply for the LTR-visa - where in my case I uploaded all the documents with a laptop computer from my condo balcony (with a great sea view) with my feet up, sipping a glass of wine.  Why pay an agent - as I meet the requirements and I don't have to wait at immigration ?

I do thou, have a couple of good friends who share your view and always use an agent. They easily meet the Type-O visa financial requirements, and they do NOT want to wait with the hordes at immigration ever year.  So EVERY YEAR they pay an agent (which includes handing over 'power of attorney' to the agent for the Type-O visa extensions) and this reduces my friends travel EVERY YEAR to 1 or 2 trips to see the agent, and 1 trip to immigration to pick up the passport when the extension stamp is in place. 

Each to their own - but I note the LTR visa is for 10 years ( with financial proof and likely a trip to Bangkok to have next 5 year stamp applied needed).  I much prefer that over yearly going for a 1-year extension via an Agent.  Again - each to their own.

I thought to apply for an LTR visa, but except for the Work permit to run your business, I really did not see any more benefits. Of course, you are right that you are constrained to visit your agent once a year within a two-month time period and must be in Thailand for that. That's the other benefit I could conclude. The thing is that I'm approaching 60, and according to Google, I have traveled to 163 cities and lived in multiple countries. So, I have less desire to travel anymore. If I were 50 years old, I would have definitely applied.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I thought to apply for an LTR visa, but except for the Work permit to run your business, I really did not see any more benefits.

LTR has many more benefits - but possibly for YOUR situation - they are not applicable.

I assume when you travel, you always travel business class, or you have a Thai wife who always travels with you, such that you can go through a Thai immigration line when you travel out of country?  or you simply don't travel out of country any more.    I am  age 70 (with Thai wife) and I still travel - as much as I can generate the energy to travel. Theoretically (if I didn't have a Thai wife or if I was under age-70), I think it fair to say the LTR visa would have saved me from suffering in about 3 hours of immigration lines when both leaving and entering Thailand.

I assume ALL your income is covered by a Double Tax Agreement and hence you receive no benefit from the tax exemption (by Thai Royal decree) for any money brought into Thailand.  This LTR tax exemption on money brought into Thailand, has the potential over coming years, to be a big benefit to some, dependent how the Thai implementation of some tax enforcement changes play out.

I assume the online 90-day reports always worked for you (they never worked for me) and so since you say you don't travel much anymore , you can still do your 90 day reports online?  In my case, before I had the LTR visa, the 90-day online NEVER worked.  If I had not traveled recently, I would every 90-days have to drive to immigration (and potentially go in line with the hordes at immigration)  to do a 90-day report.  Since getting the LTR I have not had to do an immigration 'report' (other than my entering/leaving Thailand at the immigration booth).

Can you submit your documentation (for your extensions) online to your agent ? (ie sit on a chair on your seafront accommodations balcony with your feet up, sipping a glass of wine)?  I could to that with my LTR application.  I do note my friends on type-O visas can mostly do such with their agents (to whom they give power of attourney for their visas) except they are required yearly to physically visit their agent a couple of times AND despite having an agent they are still required to go to immigration yearly to pick up their passport with their extensions.  Perhaps other agents handle this differently.

I confess - when the LTR-WP (wealthy pensioner) visa was announced I too was a BIG skeptic.  A couple of my friends strongly recommended the LTR-WP visa to me and I shrugged off their recommendations, stating it had no tangible benefits over my new (then) Type-O non-immigrant visa (as i had recently switched to the Type-O from a Type-OA).   One of my friends, who knows my financial situation, challenged me, point by point, to prove my rejection of the LTR-WP.  As a result, after a point by point review, he convinced me I was wrong (given my financial status) to reject the LTR Visa. 

That point by point check also convinced me that the LTR visa is not helpful for some, but for others it is very good.

I suspect BoI had some specific guidelines they had to follow for the LTR visa qualifications ... and they in my view deliberately limited the LTR to those in strong financial situations with a substantial very liquid portfolio (but not in stocks/foreign-property/nor foreign company ownership) and a strong consistent financial source of money (from either major companies or passive income from government or major companies - and likely not from astute stock trading).  Clearly there were exceptions on this, but in general, I believe they deliberately did not include the vast majority of expatriates, whose finances are more subtle/illusive as to how it is structured.  The finances of many expatriates and foreigners being more illusive, BoI, likely for good reasons (to eliminate their own administrative verification efforts) decided to not expand the LTR qualification to include the wealthy whose source of money was more difficult for them to be assured of future stability.  A case in point - they reject the $100k US$ equivalent for health insurance in a trading portfolio, even if a massive amount of money in that account is cash (5x or more of that $100k US$ equivalent) just because that cash is in an account with stock trading functionality.  BoI drew a line to reject cash in any stock trading portfolio. 

I do note, that Thai immigration still kept all the other visa types after the LTR visa was introduced - and for those potential or existing expatraites whom the LTR visa makes no sense (due to how their wealth is structure, or how they receive their wealth) , I note that there are other options to stay in Thailand, with the other visa types.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, oldcpu said:

assume when you travel, you always travel business class, or you have a Thai wife

I don't have a Thai wife. 

I assume ALL your income is covered by a Double Tax Agreement and hence you receive no benefit from the tax exemption (by Thai Royal decree) for any money brought into Thailand. 

I don't stay in Thailand for more than 180 days. Before, I used to stay 3 months in Thailand, 3 months in Portugal and 6 months in the US. I have sold all my real estate in Portugal. Now I only stay 6 months in the US and 6 months in Thailand, and visit Portugal one or twice a year for a month. 

I assume the online 90-day reports always worked for you (they never worked for me) and so since you say you don't travel much anymore , you can still do your 90 day reports online?  In my case, before I had the LTR visa, the 90-day online NEVER worked.  If I had not traveled recently, I would every 90-days have to drive to immigration (and potentially go in line with the hordes at immigration)  to do a 90-day report.  Since getting the LTR I have not had to do an immigration 'report' (other than my entering/leaving Thailand at the immigration booth).

I don't do 90-day online or not. The agent picks up my Passport from my condo and returns it the next day. Sometimes I even don't need to do 90 days because I make a trip to Singapore to visit family members. 

Can you submit your documentation (for your extensions) online to your agent ? (ie sit on a chair on your seafront accommodations balcony with your feet up, sipping a glass of wine)?  I could to that with my LTR application.  I do note my friends on type-O visas can mostly do such with their agents (to whom they give power of attourney for their visas) except they are required yearly to physically visit their agent a couple of times AND despite having an agent they are still required to go to immigration yearly to pick up their passport with their extensions.  Perhaps other agents handle this differently.

Agents never asked me for any documents except my passport. And she picks it up from my condo. 

In the last 7-years that I have been in Thailand, I have never stepped foot in the IO office. Last March, I wanted to get a taste of the IO office for a residence certificate to renew my driving license. I went to the office and handed over my passport. They said your TM-30 is not up-to-date. I ran from there and called my agent. She came and got the passport from me and got a residency certificate and a brand new TM-30 stapled to my passport. And then she drove me to the DMV office and got my license renewed. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I don't have a Thai wife. 

I don't stay in Thailand for more than 180 days. Before, I used to stay 3 months in Thailand, 3 months in Portugal and 6 months in the US. I have sold all my real estate in Portugal. Now I only stay 6 months in the US and 6 months in Thailand, and visit Portugal one or twice a year for a month. 

I don't do 90-day online or not. The agent picks up my Passport from my condo and returns it the next day. Sometimes I even don't need to do 90 days because I make a trip to Singapore to visit family members. 

Agents never asked me for any documents except my passport. And she picks it up from my condo. 

In the last 7-years that I have been in Thailand, I have never stepped foot in the IO office. Last March, I wanted to get a taste of the IO office for a residence certificate to renew my driving license. I went to the office and handed over my passport. They said your TM-30 is not up-to-date. I ran from there and called my agent. She came and got the passport from me and got a residency certificate and a brand new TM-30 stapled to my passport. And then she drove me to the DMV office and got my license renewed. 

Ok - so if under age-70, and if no Thai wife, then if you don't fly business class, you will likely have to suffer through the immigration lines.  NOT having to suffer through those lines is a benefit, especially when they are long.  When I departed Phuket in March of this year, there was a 30-minute to 45-minute foreigner line just to reach the immigration booths (so catch one's flight). It was sheer madness. People were panicking that they could miss their flights. ...  Since there was no fast track line, I was able, with my LTR visa to show it at the Thai immigration line (which had NO ONE in line  but they accepted 'fast track' people) and I could bypass that 30 to 45 minute foreigner wait.  I consider that a useful benefit.

I don't pay an agent ... I use that money for food and drinks instead.  And while I don't begrudge those who want to use an agent,  I still do note an LTR in this case (my not paying an agent) has saved me that money.   I consider that saving a useful benefit.

If the agent does not ask you for any documents, and if you stay in Thailand for 6 months (or shorter periods) then I assume you are regularly contacting your agent (or your agent contacting you) for either the 90-day report, or the TM-30 or for other aspects.   With a 5 year permission to stay - I don't have to contact an agent multiple times per year.  I don't need to phone an agent.  An agent doesn't need to phone me.   I don't have to leave Thailand every 90-days so not to have a 90-day report ... etc ..   I consider that being able to stay peacefully. relaxing in my seaside condo, for 1 year full year with no such contact needed, a useful benefit.

Many of us stay in Thailand MORE than 180 days a year. That implies tax residency. You don't have that, but many of us do.  Hence it appears for those of us, having an LTR visa that the LTR-visa could turn out to be a significant benefit for reasons of taxes. Really significant.

So maybe you don't see any benefits - but I dare say many of us do.  I think its clear we would not have applied for (and obtained the LTR) if we did not believe there was a benefit.  

But I have said before and I will again. Thailand has many visa options, and LTR is not a visa for everyone.  It is thou for some of us.

Edited by oldcpu

7 hours ago, oldcpu said:

Ok - so if under age-70, and if no Thai wife, then if you don't fly business class, you will likely have to suffer through the immigration lines. 

I fly business class/first class. 

I don't pay an agent ... I use that money for food and drinks instead.  And while I don't begrudge those who want to use an agent,  I still do note an LTR in this case (my not paying an agent) has saved me that money.   I consider that saving a useful benefit.

I don't want to save anymore. I have enough money in my 401K, IRA, and Roth. The funny thing is that the money stays the same even after my yearly withdrawals because of the magic of compound growth and generous S&P 500 returns. My expenses after covid have gone down drastically because I almost stopped travelling and staying in Europe for extended period of time. I don't drink at all. Now maybe my biggest expenses are in weed. 

If the agent does not ask you for any documents, and if you stay in Thailand for 6 months (or shorter periods) then I assume you are regularly contacting your agent (or your agent contacting you) for either the 90-day report, or the TM-30 or for other aspects.

Yes, you're correct. I send a line message to my agent, and she comes and picks up my passport. I Have done TM30 twice. Once, 7 years ago, and the last one in March this year to obtain a residence certificate to renew my Thai license. My agent did it. 

So maybe you don't see any benefits - but I dare say many of us do.  I think its clear we would not have applied for (and obtained the LTR) if we did not believe there was a benefit.  

But I have said before and I will again. Thailand has many visa options, and LTR is not a visa for everyone.  It is thou for some of us.

I do agree. If I were 40 years old or may be 50, I would have applied for an LTR visa. Now I'm 63 and don't want to change the thing that has been working for me for the last 7 years. 

Good luck with your LTR and congratulations.