Espresso for Europeans

20 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Probably just snobbery mostly. I go to many shops that have very expensive equipment but the coffee is average at best, it's mostly in your head

I would say for shops with expensive equipment and average coffee it is mostly related to the beans used. And for beans everyone has a different taste. And some shops like Starbucks might use ok beans but fill in too much water. I seldom go there, last time I told the staff to fill just 50% of the water and this was the first time I had a good Americano in Starbucks.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Probably just snobbery mostly. I go to many shops that have very expensive equipment but the coffee is average at best, it's mostly in your head

I'd agree to a certain extent.. much of this could be in someone's head...     

But, how can this be explained to someone who doesn't know...   

Its like explaining the difference in comfort between a Mercedes and Toyota....  or rather, in the case of the ginder's its like explaining the difference in comfort between a Mercedes and Lada...   where a 3-1 is a Maxi scooter...  All get you from A-B... it just depends how 'enjoyable' you want the experience to be... 

... Those who don't get it, will always throw the snobbery issue out there...  Its not snobbery when one is better, but another can't understand that, or refuse to accept that.

All coffee threads tend to degenerate into the '3-1 in is fine for me the rest are snobs' kind of comment - its pointless having the discussion with someone who doesn't 'get it'... 

------

As far as going to many shops with expensive equipment not being very good...  this would primarily be becasue they are economising with poorer quality beans.....  its also because of the person involved making the coffee itself...    even down to how hard one individual tamps a the basket compared to another...

My Son makes  better coffee than my Wife... He followed my instructions exactly....  wife kind of rushes it and the extraction is slightly more bitter....  I screw it up sometimes when I'm rushing things a bit too much.... I over or under tamp, or leave clusters etc...    

The ideal shot for me (from my machine): 18 gms coffee >> 36 gms output... in 30 seconds...   

When I over tamp I get the 18 gms coffee >> 36 gms output... in 38 seconds...    and its bitter...

When I under tamp, I get the 18 gms coffee >> 36 gms output... in 20 seconds...    and its thin and under extracted.

... or when the grind is too coarse, it under-extracts, too fine and it over-extracts and is oily and bitter. 

None of this matters if you want a drip coffee and thats all you are after.. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Fairynuff said:

I only drink VN at home. I use Trung Nguyen S which I bring back from regular visits. During Covid times or when I run short I also buy on Lazada. Coffee is a very personal thing so I rarely give or follow recommendations. For cappuccino it’s always Amazon.

Have you seen Trung Nguyen S beans on Lazada?  i only see the ground 

54 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'd agree to a certain extent.. much of this could be in someone's head...     

But, how can this be explained to someone who doesn't know...   

Its like explaining the difference in comfort between a Mercedes and Toyota....  or rather, in the case of the ginder's its like explaining the difference in comfort between a Mercedes and Lada...   where a 3-1 is a Maxi scooter...  All get you from A-B... it just depends how 'enjoyable' you want the experience to be... 

... Those who don't get it, will always throw the snobbery issue out there...  Its not snobbery when one is better, but another can't understand that, or refuse to accept that.

All coffee threads tend to degenerate into the '3-1 in is fine for me the rest are snobs' kind of comment - its pointless having the discussion with someone who doesn't 'get it'... 

------

As far as going to many shops with expensive equipment not being very good...  this would primarily be becasue they are economising with poorer quality beans.....  its also because of the person involved making the coffee itself...    even down to how hard one individual tamps a the basket compared to another...

My Son makes  better coffee than my Wife... He followed my instructions exactly....  wife kind of rushes it and the extraction is slightly more bitter....  I screw it up sometimes when I'm rushing things a bit too much.... I over or under tamp, or leave clusters etc...    

The ideal shot for me (from my machine): 18 gms coffee >> 36 gms output... in 30 seconds...   

When I over tamp I get the 18 gms coffee >> 36 gms output... in 38 seconds...    and its bitter...

When I under tamp, I get the 18 gms coffee >> 36 gms output... in 20 seconds...    and its thin and under extracted.

... or when the grind is too coarse, it under-extracts, too fine and it over-extracts and is oily and bitter. 

None of this matters if you want a drip coffee and thats all you are after.. 

I went round the house of a highfalutin friend like you, wanted us to have coffee round his, better than the planned coffee shop, i was embarrassed for him, the coffee was 5 or 6 out of 10 at best, in his mind it was great, anyway try and get out more for coffee it's better meeting real people rather than stuck at home grinding beans

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I went round the house of a highfalutin friend like you, wanted us to have coffee round his, better than the planned coffee shop, i was embarrassed for him, the coffee was 5 or 6 out of 10 at best, in his mind it was great, anyway try and get out more for coffee it's better meeting real people rather than stuck at home grinding beans

Maybe you'd also dislike my coffee...   if 'burr ground coffee' is your comparison point, your opinion would be irrelevant to me.... some people prefer 3in1 or instant and don't like freshly roast ground coffee (of any sort).... 

I don't go to coffee shops to strike up conversations with strangers...  I've no need or want for that whatsoever. 

Are you the guy Georgegeorgia was talking about - going up to random guys and trying to start a conversation ???  :whistling:

You're not from NewZealand are you ?

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Maybe you'd also dislike my coffee...   if 'burr ground coffee' is your comparison point, your opinion would be irrelevant to me.... some people prefer 3in1 or instant and don't like freshly roast ground coffee (of any sort).... 

I don't go to coffee shops to strike up conversations with strangers...  I've no need or want for that whatsoever. 

Are you the guy Georgegeorgia was talking about - going up to random guys and trying to start a conversation ???  :whistling:

You're not from NewZealand are you ?

no not strangers i was thinking you could go with friends for coffee rather than always staying at home

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

no not strangers i was thinking you could go with friends for coffee rather than always staying at home

Ah... got you...  Nope... Friends work...   We generally catch up for beers, dinner etc... 

Coffee is something I have on my own in the morning when I'm not away at work... 

Or... its something I have at work... not as good as the espresso machine at home - usually a French Press Coffee made with finely ground fresh beans, a finer grind than is usually used for a French Press, as I like my 'french press' coffee strong with a slightly 'muddy' texture which may be off-putting for some... 

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

i wonder why. I keep going back to it though to blend with Arabica

I also blend sometimes with a different VN coffee that I get from the same Lazada supplier. It’s stronger and more chocolatey.