A 'Pint' just isn't a real Pint in Thailand.

Blame the Americans and the European metric system for that. A pint was 20 fluid ounces until the Yanks decided they would make it 16oz same as a pound in weight, So about 450ml as opposed to 570ml. Then in the metric system a 1/2 litre became the EU pint equivalent. Luckily the Brits stayed with the REAL pint.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, bob smith said:

If I said that, it would be a lie.

Something I don't like to do.

bob.

Pint is just a generic term, everyone who's been here more than 5 minutes knows that it's only 500 ml.

There is no short measure, no cheating, no shrinkflation, no big deal, no problem.

The Old English do a questionable 500 ml measure including a large head on the Draught Leo, but for 45 baht or 85 a "pint" (depending on the hour of the happy hour) I have not seen anyone send it back.

Edited by saintdomingo

23 hours ago, bob smith said:

This is Thailand and it's a Thai forum. Nothing at all to do with India.

Bob.

So if an Indian guy asks for a full pint then four straws will come with it? 😃

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bob smith said:

A standard pint, if im not mistaken, is 568ml.

Anything less and advertised as such is daylight robbery!

Bob.

What about the people that drink at night?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, marin said:

Stop being robbed bob!  Get  your butt back to where a pint is a pint. 

That's good advice Bob. But make sure you've cleared things with your probation officer first.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Thailand was never part of the British Empire and in fact was used as a buffer between the British Malaya and French Indochina (Vietnam).
Thailand nominally adopted the metric system in 1923 and the Americans used Thailand for R&R during the Vietnam war, so any historical reference to a pint would likely be to the smaller U.S. pint. 

Not sure if there are any Gary Lineker pubs in Bangkok, Pattaya, Krabi or Chiang Mai but maybe they’d have what you seek? 

2 hours ago, khunjeff said:

And beds measured in feet, layer cakes from the bakery in pounds, televisions in inches...

And air conditioners rated in good old "British Thermal Units"   

Then there is land area measured in Rai Ngarn and Talang Wa

Distance measured in Krabiat, Niu, Kheup,Sawk,Wa,Sen, and Yoht

Volume measured in Tannan Sat Ban and Kwien not forgetting Kam Mue (which equates to the good old british "slack handful")

Weight measured in Saleung, Baht,Tamlung,Chang,Haap

There are actually many more

no wonder they elected to at least start trying to go metric back in 1923

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Had to clear a duplicated post, but I'll take the opportunity to mention the way they tell the time here too, Somewhat confusing for newbies when for example "Sarm mong chao" literally the third hour of the morning means 9am

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Wonderful world of non metrics :tongue:

Thailand is 90% metric.

90%: still using PSI and some other confusing stuff (water in 5 gallon containers) and water pipes in most confusing mix of inch and old Chinese measures ("hun").

I've never seen anything measured in actual 'hun' most of the time they just substitute it for eights of an inch, There's Chinese inch 寸 which the hun is based on which is actually 1.3 imperial inch and the 'hun' is 10th of that, they're roughly 3cm, not a problem for hardware like rebar or pipe fittings that's supposed to screw together but the actual measurement is 31.7 for the 'hun' or 33.3, confusing and starting to creep in more as I've noticed measuring tape from China that looks like inch on one side but not quite right.

13 minutes ago, digbeth said:

I've never seen anything measured in actual 'hun' most of the time they just substitute it for eights of an inc

You don't know the mom&pop shop in my village :tongue:

The lady would not understand 1/2inch (niu krueng).

Even after pointing to the designation on the pipe she insisted its "si hun".

And that the pipe is by no way a 1/2 inch pipe but just a "symbolic"/trade name is another topic.

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

You don't know the mom&pop shop in my village :tongue:

The lady would not understand 1/2inch (niu krueng).

Even after pointing to the designation on the pipe she insisted its "si hun".

And that the pipe is by no way a 1/2 inch pipe but just a "symbolic"/trade name is another topic.

Because it's Krueng Neu, Neu Krueng would be an inch and a half  🙂 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, digbeth said:

Because it's Krueng Neu, Neu Krueng would be an inch and a half  🙂 

No.

If you like you can discuss this in the Thai language forum.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2024 at 11:16 AM, bob smith said:

Bob.

You ordered a Thai pint, not an English one. Why are you comparing Thai pints with English pint glasses?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

I've never seen anything measured in actual 'hun' most of the time they just substitute it for eights of an inch, There's Chinese inch 寸 which the hun is based on which is actually 1.3 imperial inch and the 'hun' is 10th of that, they're roughly 3cm, not a problem for hardware like rebar or pipe fittings that's supposed to screw together but the actual measurement is 31.7 for the 'hun' or 33.3, confusing and starting to creep in more as I've noticed measuring tape from China that looks like inch on one side but not quite right.

I think the "hun" is more like 3mm not 3 cm   I once bought a tape measure here that was graduated in feet and "tenths" the tenths were marked as if they were inches, took a while before i realised lol

On 5/6/2024 at 11:16 AM, bob smith said:

Bob.

Absolutely right!
Pints do NOT exist in Thailand; it is English and as such also nothing to do with Thailand. So whether a Thai 'pint' (which doesn't exist) is bigger or smaller than a English pint is completely irrelevant :cheesy:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

So if an Indian guy asks for a full pint then four straws will come with it? 😃

You joke! But last week three Indian blokes wandered into a bar I frequent, ordered two large bottles of beer. Two of them drank from glasses, the third from the bottle. They attempted (quite loudly as it happens) to persuade (without success) one of the girls to go with them!

9 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

The "pint" to them is simply a term, borrowed from the English language, applied to a glass of beer rather than a unit of measurement. In a similar way German and other European languages will have their own terms for a beer.

You are wrong, the "pint" is a defined unit of measure, being one eighth of a gallon for liquids in both the British Imperial System and the US Customary System.

The pint is not a unit of measure in the metric system of measurement for liquids.

On 5/6/2024 at 11:44 AM, bob smith said:

A standard pint, if im not mistaken, is 568ml.

Anything less and advertised as such is daylight robbery!

Bob.

On the positive side, I had found the more times you order a Thai spirit, the larger the measure became.

A measure, or lack of, used in the old days to try and stop customers moving on.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Yes, it is Thailand, and they serve beer in their own (Thai) measures, based on the metric system.

The "pint" to them is simply a term, borrowed from the English language, applied to a glass of beer rather than a unit of measurement. In a similar way German and other European languages will have their own terms for a beer.

It is further complicated by the fact that an American "pint" at 16 fluid ounces is 20% smaller than a British "pint" at 20 fluid ounces.

35 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You are wrong, the "pint" is a defined unit of measure, being one eighth of a gallon for liquids in both the British Imperial System and the US Customary System.

The pint is not a unit of measure in the metric system of measurement for liquids.

Whilst I appreciate you are far wiser than me on these (and I am sure many other matters) perhaps I could draw on your penchant for pedantry and point out, as have several others, that I was suggesting that in this context "pint" was used as a colloquial description of a glass of beer rather than as a specific measure.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Whilst I appreciate you are far wiser than me on these (and I am sure many other matters) perhaps I could draw on your penchant for pedantry and point out, as have several others, that I was suggesting that in this context "pint" was used as a colloquial description of a glass of beer rather than as a specific measure.

Apologies if English is not your first language.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Apologies if English is not your first language.

English is, as I am sure you are very much aware, my first language.

Your apparent failure to understand the use of quotation marks around the word "pint", in the context of my post, may for some raise that question about you. I however do not doubt that it is your first language; preferring (as I have already hinted) to ascribe your misunderstanding to your enthusiasm to display your cleverness.

As this is the "community pub", the place for perhaps more direct commenting than other forums, perhaps we should end the matter by marking this clumsy attempt at an insult as a rather ignominious fail!

Edited by herfiehandbag