Three Thai Beaches Make it to the World's Top 100 List

13 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Always the problem: mass tourism ruins everything it touches. As do media articles about " undiscovered" wonders: the kiss of death because then we all put them on our bucket lists.

No doubt as with Railay beach, Krabi too many boats too willing for the money to ferry the world and his wife and kids there and back.

My favourite beach is in Cornwall, south of Penzance. Accessible only on foot and a steep narrow path down, leaving your car some distance away. No services of any kind on the beach so you have to carry whatever you will need. Cut off either side of high tide. Never  been any boat service to get there either. Been like that for a lot longer than the the last 40 years since I discovered it. Of course the British weather can be a downer! And the water is cold.

The Daily Telegraph often runs articles about beautiful towns or beaches only an hour from London. There's me thinking it's not gonna be beautiful for much longer then!🤔

• Agree 1

On 5/7/2024 at 7:41 AM, ChipButty said:

Im not telling you my favourite beach, 

That's the best idea!

I started travelling in Asia over 50 years ago and was early enough to enjoy  many beautiful, unspoilt beaches. The "hippies" discovered so many fantastic out of the way places...... unfortunately people ruin the reasons for going there. We've loved these places to death! 

Cases in point : nearly every beach in Bali, Phuket, Koh Samui.....the list is too numerous to mention everywhere that has lost it's originality. Bars, resorts, shops, roads, traffic, the maze of cables, the influx of people all contribute to deculturing.

Keep your secrets!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I lived in Rio for a year in the early eighties. Even then Copacabana Beach was poor. The sand was infested with tiny bugs which  would bite you if you weren't sitting on a towel. The sea is also treacherous for swimmers; helicopters would sweep the ocean's edge to pull out people in trouble!

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2024 at 3:59 PM, Shocked farang said:

Maya bay is because of the movie. It's beautiful of course but with the number of day trippers hardly worth a visit anymore. 

Used to be that you couldn't land on the beach, at least when I was taken there as part of a day trip to Phi Phi. 

Sounds like that restriction has ended.

It's not even the same beach as in the movie as they took a load of trees there for the movie and removed them after, and of course the cliffs were computer generated.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Grandpa Cool said:

That's the best idea!

I started travelling in Asia over 50 years ago and was early enough to enjoy  many beautiful, unspoilt beaches. The "hippies" discovered so many fantastic out of the way places...... unfortunately people ruin the reasons for going there. We've loved these places to death! 

Cases in point : nearly every beach in Bali, Phuket, Koh Samui.....the list is too numerous to mention everywhere that has lost it's originality. Bars, resorts, shops, roads, traffic, the maze of cables, the influx of people all contribute to deculturing.

Keep your secrets!

Yes. Bottle beach was a case in point. It was supposed to have started as a hippie hang out, but when I went it had an ugly concrete hotel right in the middle and a derelict resort a ways along the left side looking at the sea.

Flashpackers have ruined every decent beach in LOS with their demands for AC and hot water and cable tv etc. in concrete rooms.

Raily is OK.  quiet not much wave action so kind of boring from the wave point of view.  I still love Karon beach because if you wade out into the water and turn around you can see much of the big white buddha on the top of the hill.  To me that is so surreal and a wonderful sight.

17 hours ago, babylonbrothers said:

I lived in Rio for a year in the early eighties. Even then Copacabana Beach was poor. The sand was infested with tiny bugs which  would bite you if you weren't sitting on a towel. The sea is also treacherous for swimmers; helicopters would sweep the ocean's edge to pull out people in trouble!

Copacabana is a <deleted> hole, it smells <deleted> from one end to the other. If you want a better beach nearby head to Ipanema, if you want a real beach head to Barra da Tijuca. Forget all about Copacabana, in the evening you'll probably be mugged there. 

They are many beaches round the world that don,t get mentioned,thailand got mention so good for them.The reasons i don,t know or a surveys that go out.I think the ratings mean it is clean and offers the beach goer something that a not so good beach.

In greece or the islands many beaches quite and far from anyone are just as good but don,t get a mention.So good for the beaches that make the list