Motorcyclist falls into a cable duct manhole in Mae Sot district

1714984173150.jpg

A woman riding a motorcycle was seriously injured in Mae Sot, Tak province, when she hit an unmarked steel barrier and fell into a cable duct manhole. The incident happened on Sunday night.

Emergency personnel took about 15 minutes to rescue the woman from the two-meter deep hole on Intharasiri Road, located in front of Aranyakhet Temple.

While some workers were rescuing the woman and her motorcycle, others were directing traffic to avoid further accidents, as the duct was not easily visible in the dark.

Traffic in the area was disrupted due to multiple cable ducts spanning a 1.6-kilometer section of Intharasiri Road. These ducts, which carry communication and other cables, are currently exposed.

The steel barriers that cover these ducts do not have any illuminated signs, making them hard to see and potentially hazardous to road users.

Photo courtesy of Thai PBS

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-06

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

1714984173150.jpg

A woman riding a motorcycle was seriously injured in Mae Sot, Tak province, when she hit an unmarked steel barrier and fell into a cable duct manhole. The incident happened on Sunday night.

Emergency personnel took about 15 minutes to rescue the woman from the two-meter deep hole on Intharasiri Road, located in front of Aranyakhet Temple.

While some workers were rescuing the woman and her motorcycle, others were directing traffic to avoid further accidents, as the duct was not easily visible in the dark.

Traffic in the area was disrupted due to multiple cable ducts spanning a 1.6-kilometer section of Intharasiri Road. These ducts, which carry communication and other cables, are currently exposed.

The steel barriers that cover these ducts do not have any illuminated signs, making them hard to see and potentially hazardous to road users.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-06

Potholing is not for everyone, "I know that now" she said.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Safety last Thailand.

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A woman riding a motorcycle was seriously injured in Mae Sot, Tak province, when she hit an unmarked steel barrier and fell into a cable duct manhole.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

With all safety standards successfully ignored , the victim should sue the government or the city .

But that would require the help of a lawyer , and she would not have the money for that ...

At least make it public , put it on facebook , youtube etc ...

• Agree 2

All these problems around the country with unmarked or dangerous trenches in the road. I wonder if it is the same construction company successfully bribing authorities for contracts?

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, RobU said:

I wonder if it is the same construction company successfully bribing authorities for contracts?

No, just some of the basic Thai cultural traits on display - laziness & incompetence.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

1714984173150.jpg

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-06

Very sad and avoidable🙏

• Agree 2

On 5/6/2024 at 11:42 AM, richard_smith237 said:

This is not a rare occurrence in Thailand....

Unmarked road works....   no warnings, cones, lights, barriers....   and no accountability for those workers leaving the road in this condition, no accountability of those supervising them and no accountability at all of those in positions of authority and responsibility over such construction. 

Its one of the reasons I will not ride my motorcycle at night.

Its one of the reasons I will not drive on high-ways outside of cities at night. 

Years ago, the first and last time I drove at night - I saw a strange, odd looking shiny thing in the distance, I slowed and drove right up to it... 

It was only then I saw the 'end of the road'... the road has just stopped and was marked with branches and CD's...   I was able to go around, in some area's they'd managed to put up some lights (fluorescent strip lights) to mark the road works... 

I'm quite sure someone that night would have hurt themselves driving into the ditch in the muddle of the lane made by road workers carrying out some task or other.... but with no regard anyone else after they finished for the day. 

Until people in positions of authority, company owners, and managers etc, are held accountable, these issues will continue to happen the the innocent will get hurt. 

This isn't an issue of 'careless driving'... no one expects there to be a huge unmarked hole in the road... 

Do you really think something will be done?  Don’t hold you breath, it would be suicidal.