Family appeal for missing British man in Thailand

webfact

On 5/8/2024 at 10:17 AM, AlexRich said:

Sorry, let me consult that database I keep of all known cases? Feel free to believe that what I've stated is wrong ... but try google ... drugged and robbed in Thailand. 

This happened to a work colleague about 20 years ago...  he went out, never returned home for a three days. 

He remembers very little of it, he required urgent medical attention.

A lot of money was missing from his account. He was an otherwise very responsible professional, although he'd been drugged at a rather dodgy bar. 

This is the only first hand example I know of this happening. 

That said, A few years back at a dodgy pop-up street bar in Sukhumvit, well after hours, I was drunk and wasn't really paying attention to my beer while talking with my friend...  I took another 'swig' of my beer and it was acrid & bitter....  enough to immediately make me spit out my mouth-full on the floor...   I just paid my bill (one beer) and told my friend, thats it, we have to go now... 

We left and I then told him what had happened, that I'd tasted something very strange and suspected there may be something that had been added to the beer.

I went home and never felt anything...  but still wonder if that something nefarious was being planned by the girls at the 'pop-up' bar.

Always watch your beer....   this of course is unrelated to the Op, but in response to the above comments.

While very rare, I don't believe this attempts are the urban-myth some make them out to be, although many may feel terrible the next day and suspect such 'spiking' of their drinks, but its usually because of the cheap bootleg liquor they have been drinking.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, AlexRich said:

And you're some old man who doesn't understand that Google is a search engine, and when you google about people being drugged and mugged in Thailand it comes up with numerous articles ... from newspapers!!! Written by journalists, based on research not rumour or innuendo. 

You're another one of these waste of space trolls who constantly asks people for "evidence" that you have no interest in looking at or acknowledging. 

Well it appears that you are one of those people that has difficulty understanding what they have read  Show me  were I have asked you (or anybody else for that matter for any "evidence"    You won't be able to because I have not, the reason being that I don't really give a To$$ about your evidence.

I did however advise you to review your sources and not to believe everything you read on google or the newspapers which as you correctly state are pretty much the same thing 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

This happened to a work colleague about 20 years ago...  he went out, never returned home for a three days. 

He remembers very little of it, he required urgent medical attention.

A lot of money was missing from his account. He was an otherwise very responsible professional, although he'd been drugged at a rather dodgy bar. 

This is the only first hand example I know of this happening. 

That said, A few years back at a dodgy pop-up street bar in Sukhumvit, well after hours, I was drunk and wasn't really paying attention to my beer while talking with my friend...  I took another 'swig' of my beer and it was acrid & bitter....  enough to immediately make me spit out my mouth-full on the floor...   I just paid my bill (one beer) and told my friend, thats it, we have to go now... 

We left and I then told him what had happened, that I'd tasted something very strange and suspected there may be something that had been added to the beer.

I went home and never felt anything...  but still wonder if that something nefarious was being planned by the girls at the 'pop-up' bar.

Always watch your beer....   this of course is unrelated to the Op, but in response to the above comments.

While very rare, I don't believe this attempts are the urban-myth some make them out to be, although many may feel terrible the next day and suspect such 'spiking' of their drinks, but its usually because of the cheap bootleg liquor they have been drinking.

Thank you. That’s the point I was making. This is happening a lot more than people think, and most of it is not reported. 

Expect Rent-A-Troll to be around in a minute to explain that it must just be your imagination, and you must have dreamed it all after spending too much time on Google and Facebook.

36 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Well it appears that you are one of those people that has difficulty understanding what they have read  Show me  were I have asked you (or anybody else for that matter for any "evidence"    You won't be able to because I have not, the reason being that I don't really give a To$$ about your evidence.

I did however advise you to review your sources and not to believe everything you read on google or the newspapers which as you correctly state are pretty much the same thing 

How often does that happen? And when did you last read this in the news?

just paraphrasing your very first post asking me the above questions. The fact is you don’t care what the answer is, because it’s really all about the trolling. 

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

How often does that happen? And when did you last read this in the news?

just paraphrasing your very first post asking me the above questions. The fact is you don’t care what the answer is, because it’s really all about the trolling. 

No its about calling out people who spout rubbish

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

Thank you. That’s the point I was making. This is happening a lot more than people think, and most of it is not reported. 

Expect Rent-A-Troll to be around in a minute to explain that it must just be your imagination, and you must have dreamed it all after spending too much time on Google and Facebook.

I accept that it happens just not that it happens a lot.   The post which you replied to reinforces what I'm saying, you should read it again, and read exactly what was said,  slowly , especially at the end here it is again for you...

"While very rare, I don't believe this attempts are the urban-myth some make them out to be, although many may feel terrible the next day and suspect such 'spiking' of their drinks, but its usually because of the cheap bootleg liquor they have been drinking"

So its not exactly the point your were trying to make at all is it ?     "very rare"  pretty much what i was saying

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Different folks, different stokes... 

I've been in Thailand over 25 years...   since the onset of mobile phones, particularly chat apps, the manner in which we communicate and the expectation of response has altered. 

I'm sure if any of my family in the UK sent me a message to which I didn't respond to within a couple of days they may start to worry and probably send my Wife a message to check all is ok (we're all in a 'group chat' anyway' so that doesn't happen).

The same in reverse, if my message any of my siblings or parents and don't get a response, concern starts to grow - particularly if I don't get a response from my parents.

The real humdinger is when I get a message "give me a call"...    and then I really worry something has gone wrong...  its usually because one of them just want a chat...   But, I have also had  a couple of calls in the past that have seen be back in the UK within 24 hrs because something serious has happened. 

As I mentioned above - communication is different for everyone and much of this depends upon how closely nit you are as a family, but I'd never be furious at my family caring so much that they worry.

Oh.  Very interesting

11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...he had failed to board return flight as planned. That would worry any family".

No, his being an adult, missing a flight would not necessarily "worry any family"!

That would cause significant concern to my family and that of anyone I know. 

Oh.

"Also there had been some unspecified "odd" communications from him..."

So that would be meaningless as they were unspecified.

That would also cause significant concern. 

Oh.

"He has since been found and is reported as receiving consular assistance from his Embassy. So can infer that indeed something untoward (but not lethal) had happened".

Well you inferred that; the embassy always makes that word-for-word comment if asked, it does not imply anything untoward happened other than the reported missing his plane.  If anything untoward had happened it is likely that the family would have been asked to comment further by the UK press that they brought in at the start...I wonder why that hasn't happened?

Expand  

... its also likely they may not have wanted to respond with specifics - hence the information being vague that he has been found and is receiving consular assistance. 

Oh.

7 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

. Many people get drugged in Los, I got drugged in my hotel room years ago, a friend of mine who is a high level Dr got drugged, lots of people I've met have at some stage been drugged and woken up robbed. 

You have to learn about Thailand's dangers and be weary of them, my Dr friend got hit when he went to the toilet in a restaurant, and the girl still managed to get him home, he woke up minus lots of money and his laptops and phone gone, CCTV caught the girl on camera, very high class, but never caught her. 

Thanks Keith ... the point that I was making is that this happens quite often. And you and another poster have given personal examples. 

3 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

No its about calling out people who spout rubbish

Like you.

11 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Thanks Keith ... the point that I was making is that this happens quite often. And you and another poster have given personal examples. 

Like you.

Thanks indeed "Kieth"  for an amusing anecdote :cheesy: A" high level doctor" :cheesy: drugged and robbed by a prostitute in Thailand,  well that's certainly something we don't hear about very often.

Any way so far 3 cases all of which apparently occurred "years ago"   more than likely the perpetrators were ladyboys and the "drugged"

part was a pathetic attempt to save face.  What exactly is a high level doctor, or a low level doctor come to that?    You are clutching at straws, and starting to look ridiculous give it  up. It does happen, but not "quite often" except in your imagination 

4 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Thanks indeed "Kieth"  for an amusing anecdote :cheesy: A" high level doctor" :cheesy: drugged and robbed by a prostitute in Thailand,  well that's certainly something we don't hear about very often.

Any way so far 3 cases all of which apparently occurred "years ago"   more than likely the perpetrators were ladyboys and the "drugged"

part was a pathetic attempt to save face.  What exactly is a high level doctor, or a low level doctor come to that?    You are clutching at straws, and starting to look ridiculous give it  up. It does happen, but not "quite often" except in your imagination 

The only person looking ridiculous is you, Rent-A-Troll. Two posters relate their own experiences, none of which you would find in a newspaper, and google is full of articles on this subject. So now you've moved from trolling to gaslighting.

Are you Martha from Baby Reindeer?

10 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

The only person looking ridiculous is you, Rent-A-Troll. Two posters relate their own experiences, none of which you would find in a newspaper, and google is full of articles on this subject. So now you've moved from trolling to gaslighting.

Are you Martha from Baby Reindeer?

Attempts to insult me are pointless.  But feel free to try again , I have no Idea what "gaslighting" means, and have never heard of "Martha" or her "baby reindeer"   your responses are getting more and more bizarre, were your drinks spiked this morning?  

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Attempts to insult me are pointless.  But feel free to try again , I have no Idea what "gaslighting" means, and have never heard of "Martha" or her "baby reindeer"   your responses are getting more and more bizarre, were your drinks spiked this morning?  

That’s exactly what Martha would have said.

• Confused 1

Someone catch me up here...  Bing searches (and a previous post here) say the guy was found alive, but lack detail.  The rest of the sources are blocked here in China.  (Like this one that I can't open)

A British father who disappeared during a solo retirement holiday in Thailand last week has been found. 

https://www.msn.com/en-sg/news/other/mystery-as-british-father-65-goes-missing-in-thailand/ar-BB1lXfFI

What happened that he went off grid?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, impulse said:

Someone catch me up here...  Bing searches (and a previous post here) say the guy was found alive, but lack detail.  The rest of the sources are blocked here in China.  (Like this one that I can't open)

A British father who disappeared during a solo retirement holiday in Thailand last week has been found. 

https://www.msn.com/en-sg/news/other/mystery-as-british-father-65-goes-missing-in-thailand/ar-BB1lXfFI

What happened that he went off grid?

Presumably something that he and his previously noisy family are now keen to keep quiet about.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 9:19 AM, AlexRich said:

I've just googled it ... and all I can see is case after case? It happens, and it happens a lot. 

It was kind of you to google it and to post that did so.

If you had not forgotten to add the link to the results page, which would have taken only a few more seconds, you would have gained a lot of esteem and respect, and you could have saved the time and effort you employed in posting your offensive and abusive replies in the discussion that ensued.

I am now posting that link for you with the search results obtained with the keywords you mentioned:

https://www.google.com/search?q=drugged+and+robbed+in+Thailand&oq=drugged+and+robbed+in+Thailand&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOdIBCDQwNTFqMGo0qAIOsAIB&client=ms-android-google&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Edited by Puccini

11 hours ago, Puccini said:

It was kind of you to google it and to post that did so.

If you had not forgotten to add the link to the results page, which would have taken only a few more seconds, you would have gained a lot of esteem and respect, and you could have saved the time and effort you employed in posting your offensive and abusive replies in the discussion that ensued.

I am now posting that link for you with the search results obtained with the keywords you mentioned:

https://www.google.com/search?q=drugged+and+robbed+in+Thailand&oq=drugged+and+robbed+in+Thailand&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOdIBCDQwNTFqMGo0qAIOsAIB&client=ms-android-google&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

My posts were in response to a poster who was insulting off the bat ... so fire with fire. Those that dish it out deserve responses in kind. 

But in any case, point proved ... this kind of thing happens a lot. Thank you.