Is Vietnam going to be next retirement

On 5/9/2024 at 12:15 PM, Presnock said:

yeah most countries are being overrun with poor migrant families right now!

Hmm, not families...mostly just single military age men...wonder why???

1 hour ago, NZAMBOY said:

Hmm, not families...mostly just single military age men...wonder why???

not only VN - I read that there is a record number of military aged men pouring into the US through the southern border too!  getting ready for world dominion?

On 5/11/2024 at 10:51 PM, JoseThailand said:

All the visas and stamps that I got over the 4 years were completely legit. It's been around 30 visas/stamps in total

No they weren't because you were using tourist visas for residence. Somewhere you signed a document saying you were on a short stay for tourism. That is fraud.

On 5/8/2024 at 6:01 AM, BritManToo said:

Define 'poor'?

Is it someone who gets paid 10x the local wage for doing nothing?

Poor is when one cannot afford private hospital care, and is at the mercy of the public hospital system in any country.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Poor is when one cannot afford private hospital care, and is at the mercy of the public hospital system in any country.

Can't say hospital care is on my list of important life considerations. If it were, I'd still be living in the UK.

I'm more interested in unlimited access to sex, alcohol and drugs. Which is why I'm living in Thailand.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Can't say hospital care is on my list of important life considerations.

I'm more interested in unlimited access to sex, alcohol and drugs.

It will be if you get to my age.

I pay for the alcohol buzz with trips to the toilet 5  or 6 times during the night. Have not had a drink for about a year, not missing it at all.

Pot does nothing for me. I occasionally indulge in kratom or oxycodone.

Sex is overrated, nowadays I would rather have a good dump.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

No they weren't because you were using tourist visas for residence. Somewhere you signed a document saying you were on a short stay for tourism. That is fraud.

No, I didn't sign such a document. And moreover, I didn't sign anything when entering visa exempt

On 5/8/2024 at 4:58 AM, shdmn said:

Da Nang is only good for maybe 5 months of the year.  Hot season is pretty intense and rainy/winter season can be cold and miserable at times.  Also, with all the development they are well and truly on their way to ruining that place.  I give it another 10 years maybe.  It's a nice getaway right now so enjoy it while you can.

Maybe time to consider Da Lat. A place the French retreated to in their days. A friend of mine loves it there.

1 hour ago, 2ndhomepattaya said:

Maybe time to consider Da Lat. A place the French retreated to in their days. A friend of mine loves it there.

Dalat has a very temperate climate, being up in the mountains.

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Can't say hospital care is on my list of important life considerations. If it were, I'd still be living in the UK.

I'm more interested in unlimited access to sex, alcohol and drugs. Which is why I'm living in Thailand.

That’s why men go to Thailand, they can’t get a sniff back home!

On 5/10/2024 at 10:29 AM, John Drake said:

Vietnam is going to be the next China, so probably not a good retirement idea. Vietnam is in the middle of a purge by hardliners of the economic liberals. It's being done under the guise of getting rid of corruption. Just like Xi did in China. China is going to be their model. And the Communist Party of Vietnam is going to restore and strengthen ties with the PRC. The general populace may not like the Chinese, but the Communist Party will align with them against the West and to restore dictatorial rule. They don't care about the economy. They're willing to let it suffer to regain absolute control. Just like in China. And nobody from the West, especially the US, is going to get military ties. The US in particular has just been played for a sucker by the Vietnamese in order to get investment that they'll now see redirected to Chinese interests. Retirement in Vietnam? Not unless you like jail cells.

You seem to forget Vietnam has a territorial conflict with China. This is why Vietnam is trying to have good relationships with Western countries and most countries in general. There is a big cultural gap between the North and the South too so they will keep the national peace at all costs and Hanoi is trying to not peace off too much the South. They have strange things like 2 different immigrations working on their own despite having national rule. And Vietnam really doesn't have the means to control its population like China. You can access American social medias easily. Sure it is communist, bureaucratic and corrupted but I wouldn't put it on the same level as China in terms of population control. And it is crazy to think how welcome American people are nowadays despite History. The biggest threat to Vietnam at the moment is China. Even hardcore Vietnamese officials know it. And the fact many Western investments are moving from China to Vietnam will balance things in the near future as Vietnam economy will catch up and won't be too dependent on China. And unless you do something extremely stupid I don't see any foreigner going to jail in the near future.

On 5/13/2024 at 8:00 AM, cjinchiangrai said:

Really??? You should definitely take up a career as a lawyer. My god, there is money to be made for you! 😂😂😂

• Confused 1

The rich who can afford it, are looking to India now. Country that still remains cheaper then the UK, lovely beaches in the south, top level private healthcare if one has a minimum of means, great food and ladies and mainly no hassles for visas like Thailand.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 4:58 AM, shdmn said:

Da Nang is only good for maybe 5 months of the year.  Hot season is pretty intense and rainy/winter season can be cold and miserable at times.  Also, with all the development they are well and truly on their way to ruining that place.  I give it another 10 years maybe.  It's a nice getaway right now so enjoy it while you can.

I agree, I went to Da Nang last month, it was 6 degrees cooler than Thailand . Some of the restaurants were very good but I had to pick and choose and hope for the best. The service was outstanding, way better than here imho. In some ways it seems to be 20 to 30 years behind the times but that's a good thing. The air is cleaner and it's way less crowded. It certainly is a great place to visit during the Thai hot season. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, El Matador said:

The biggest threat to Vietnam at the moment is China.

That's true for every country in SEAsia. But it doesn't stop their leadership from aligning with China. Laos is all but a territorial annexation. Same for Cambodia and the new Chinese naval base there. I understand that the people of Vietnam dislike, distrust, and maybe even hate the Chinese. But the Communist Party in Vietnam is desperate to retain control. That's why I think you're seeing hardline generals push out the economic liberals. I believe it's a hopeless dream to think that any Indochina nation will break free of China's grasp. The only country poised to do that is the Philippines, which is where I think the US should shift virtually its entire focus, buildup, investment, and cooperation.

• Like 1