Man drowns after getting caught in a rip at Kata Noi Beach

snoop1130

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Thailand desperately needs PiFs (Public Information Films).

Passé back home but here ...

It is not so often that a drowning off a tourist beach involves a Thai and is unikely a tourist is interested in dedicating time to such a information regardless .

But perhaps a mandatory educational attempt would be a well made effort to offset the sad and sickening drowning annual  death rates of Thai children that occur  more often than  not in locations  far far from the sea.

That is not to say that a mature  male tourist  does not deserve some sympathy for a death due to  presumed ignorance of known risk.

10 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

I won't say what I really think as I would get a suspension, but you clearly have not a single clue what you are talking about - you are completely and utterly wrong. 

And your earlier ridiculous post saying Thailand has small waves - riptides have nothing at all to do with wave size. Please take your misinformation and pathetic drivel elsewhere, what you are saying is potentially dangerous.

You prove your cluelessness. I’m stating facts

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 0ffshore360 said:

It is not so often that a drowning off a tourist beach involves a Thai and is unikely a tourist is interested in dedicating time to such a information regardless .

But perhaps a mandatory educational attempt would be a well made effort to offset the sad and sickening drowning annual  death rates of Thai children that occur  more often than  not in locations  far far from the sea.

That is not to say that a mature  male tourist  does not deserve some sympathy for a death due to  presumed ignorance of known risk.

It's fair to say a lot of Thais can't swim. This also includes a lot of Indians and Africans.

An adventurous non-swimmer can soon find themselves in a life or death situation and invariably involves cooling off in the heat where they're lured to their deaths.  

• Like 1

I just put this into google.........do the islands of thailand have rip tides.....(tried put post links to site but could not).

Robert why don't you do the same and read a few of the sites...before you spout any more of you dangerous rubbish....

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Martin71 said:

I just put this into google.........do the islands of thailand have rip tides.....(tried put post links to site but could not).

Robert why don't you do the same and read a few of the sites...before you spout any more of you dangerous rubbish....

You just admitted you know nothing about the ocean like the rest of the mob who googles stuff for their facts. Or they hear about it from a thai “yeah it’s dangerous current” (thai guy can’t swim 2 feet to save his life lol). If you actually do wanna do some real research you’ll find what I’ve said is exactly correct

Edited by Robert Paulson

3 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

It's fair to say a lot of Thais can't swim. This also includes a lot of Indians and Africans.

An adventurous non-swimmer can soon find themselves in a life or death situation and invariably involves cooling off in the heat where they're lured to their deaths.  

I fully understand that. The focus of my post was ( I intended) that water safety is something a tourist perhaps should have acquired in evidence of financial capacity to be a tourist.

The reality is that the leading  cause of death of children in Thailand is drowning.

2 minutes ago, 0ffshore360 said:

I fully understand that. The focus of my post was ( I intended) that water safety is something a tourist perhaps should have acquired in evidence of financial capacity to be a tourist.

The reality is that the leading  cause of death of children in Thailand is drowning.

Appreciated.

I'm a strong swimmer, but I avoid the sea. Too many variables that can lead to death. Simple as that.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

A non swimmer should  contemplate negotiating a spot in the  paddling pool then. So long as he/she /it  can tolerate a significant level of urinary contamination as an example.

To  date not come across  too many Indian and African Thai.

2 minutes ago, 0ffshore360 said:

To  date not come across  too many Indian and African Thai.

Look at the annual drownings in the UK and more than average percentage is Indians and Africans.  

1 minute ago, torturedsole said:

Appreciated.

I'm a strong swimmer, but I avoid the sea. Too many variables that can lead to death. Simple as that.

Swimming and  knowing  to float are not so closely related. For those that  know how to float the  enemy is not immediate drowning  but in longer time terms hypothermia .

1 minute ago, 0ffshore360 said:

Swimming and  knowing  to float are not so closely related. For those that  know how to float the  enemy is not immediate drowning  but in longer time terms hypothermia .

One emergency at a time, surely? First is immediate survival.

1 minute ago, torturedsole said:

Look at the annual drownings in the UK and more than average percentage is Indians and Africans.  

Point taken. But that is relevant to the education offered to (probably) immigrants to the UK  and therefore an omission of relevance to the UK .

2 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

One emergency at a time, surely? First is immediate survival.

I have no understanding of that comment.

When it comes to rescues of people from a beach catering to "tourist" which includes local and foreigner where "life saver " personnel are present then yes those rescued mostly survive yet so often attribute that to their own stamina etc etc.

Those that are ignorant of /ignore warning signs on beach fronts against swimming  should pay dearly for rescues in that event.

I have alternative thoughts on those parents that allow children to unsupervised entertain themselves in bodies of water capable of  killing them.

Your  adult tourist ? Som num nah !

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, 0ffshore360 said:

Point taken. But that is relevant to the education offered to (probably) immigrants to the UK  and therefore an omission of relevance to the UK .

In fairness, swimming lessons and cycling proficiency are rarely funded by LEAs these days.

Swimming lessons and cycling proficiency were part of the curriculum in primary and junior schools (UK), but that was back in the 70s. Notwithstanding, I could already swim and ride a bike by then, but the lessons were invaluable, nonetheless.

Edited by torturedsole

Posted (edited)

People really do understand this topic so poorly I mean that. 

if you remember this in Thailand it may be gold: “rips” we will call them very rarely or I’d even say never pull straight out to see. They only do that in big waves when huge setup of waves pile up on the shoreline. That will pull straight out but it’s not going to be a common occurrence in Thailand, especially not right now with 3 foot waves. If you wanna prove this just watch a surfer paddle out. A surfer will never get a free ride straight out to sea. He always has to paddle. You’ll very commonly see one get pulled to the left or right though. 

Much more common are “rips” that will move parallel to the shore. And quite honestly this isn’t dangerous, you just swim straight in. Now of course someone can get confused and swim the wrong way. But again, you’d just let waves hit you if you have that option, don’t even duck them, and swim straight in. 

thats it. Another way to put what I’m saying is if you migrated the thai population out of Thailand and replaced them with Aussies you’d never have a drowning. That’s because there is no danger in thailand there are only really bad swimmers and dumb tourists. That’s what causes the deaths. If you wanna stop deaths in Thailand just get kids in the water more, idk it doesn’t seem very hard to figure to me. 

thanks for coming to my Ted talk in “rips” misunderstandings 

Edited by Robert Paulson
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

In fairness, cycling proficiency and swimming lessons are rarely funded by LEAs these days.

Swimming lessons and cycling proficiency were part of the curriculum in primary and junior schools (UK), but that was back in the 70s. Notwithstanding, I could already swim by then.

Ok. So there are significant factors that skew your provision of statistical numbers if they do not differentiate in the event of drownings or  associated  rescue statistics those that are immigrant victims  vs those as already born nationals  that (presumably) have been educated  from an early age with respect  to water safety.

"Back  then"  would indicate some doubt as to the continuance of  mandated water safety  and/or  swimming lessons.

Sadly  the current social attitude towards personal safety is gravitating rapidly towards the concept of affordable  security  while bureaucratic demands commandeer reductions in  what has been paid for.

8 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

People really do understand this topic so poorly I mean that. 

if you remember this in Thailand it may be gold: “rips” we will call them very rarely or I’d even say never pull straight out to see. They only do that in big waves when huge setup of waves pile up on the shoreline. That will pull straight out but it’s not going to be a common occurrence in Thailand, especially not right now with 3 foot waves. If you wanna prove this just watch a surfer paddle out. A surfer will never get a free ride straight out to sea. He always has to paddle. You’ll very commonly see one get pulled to the left or right though. 

Much more common are “rips” that will move parallel to the shore. And quite honestly this isn’t dangerous, you just swim straight in. Now of course someone can get confused and swim the wrong way. But again, you’d just let waves hit you if you have that option, don’t even duck them, and swim straight in. 

thats it. Another way to put what I’m saying is if you migrated the thai population out of Thailand and replaced them with Aussies you’d never have a drowning. That’s because there is no danger in thailand there are only really bad swimmers and dumb tourists. That’s what causes the deaths. If you wanna stop deaths in Thailand just get kids in the water more, idk it doesn’t seem very hard to figure to me. 

thanks for coming to my Ted talk in “rips” misunderstandings 

You are  basically correct. But "just  get more  kids in the water" ?

Investigate where the drownings  mostly occur and the curcumstances  of them !

Thailand has  quite  long  coastline  but it has  copius bodies of  lethal waters  far from the sunny beaches.

• Confused 1

So, the discussion, and disagreement, about the cause and effect or rip currents made me do a couple google searches. Robert Paulson is 100% correct when he states the presence of waves is a mandatory requirement for rip currents, so I learned something new. A body of water with no waves can not have rip currents, period. However, my reading also states that "strong" rip currents can also occur with waves 2-3 feet high (a common wave height here). Obviously much bigger waves have the potential to cause stronger rip currents as they create a larger volume of water imbalance at the shoreline. We all know about trying to float then moving sideways to get out of the rip before heading to shore (but many people panic and fail this part). Where I might disagree with Robert is the strength of the rip current in Thailand. The strength is relative to the swimmers ability, not something set in stone. While a low to medium strength current might be manageable for a strong swimmer, it could be deadly for a child, a weak swimmer, or someone who panics. It appears this guy fought the rip until he tired, then drowned. Very possible and the probable cause of death. As an aside, years ago our neigbors lost their two teenage daughters (and their father trying to save them) in a rip current, all experienced and strong swimmers.However, the girls panicked, and the father got exhausted trying to save them. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Silencer said:

So, the discussion, and disagreement, about the cause and effect or rip currents made me do a couple google searches. Robert Paulson is 100% correct when he states the presence of waves is a mandatory requirement for rip currents, so I learned something new. A body of water with no waves can not have rip currents, period. However, my reading also states that "strong" rip currents can also occur with waves 2-3 feet high (a common wave height here). Obviously much bigger waves have the potential to cause stronger rip currents as they create a larger volume of water imbalance at the shoreline. We all know about trying to float then moving sideways to get out of the rip before heading to shore (but many people panic and fail this part). Where I might disagree with Robert is the strength of the rip current in Thailand. The strength is relative to the swimmers ability, not something set in stone. While a low to medium strength current might be manageable for a strong swimmer, it could be deadly for a child, a weak swimmer, or someone who panics. It appears this guy fought the rip until he tired, then drowned. Very possible and the probable cause of death. As an aside, years ago our neigbors lost their two teenage daughters (and their father trying to save them) in a rip current, all experienced and strong swimmers.However, the girls panicked, and the father got exhausted trying to save them. 

I don’t think people who are that bad at swimming are so stupid. A drunk person maybe. Well in short as I say I think it’s more the person than the threat of the phuket waters. 

A lot of things I said are misunderstood. The main thing I said though is you can’t really have strong “out” currents. Meaning water that pulls you straight out. A wave or waves can pull you out, but only very ephemerally. Water doesn’t move straight out in a constant flow to sea or else where would the water come from? It would disappear from the shore if that happened. Again as I say a surfer will rarely get a free ride out into the waves without paddling. But they will often be pulled to the sides, left or right, parallel to shore. 

People really don’t get it. My guess with the man is something foul or really stupid like being drunk or who knows what the hell. As Tony montana said maybe he was on qualudes 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, swim with rhe rip tide, and likely after 50 meters or so it will lessen and you can then swim in to the shore.

I like the advice, stay calm, and live. Panic and die, those are two choices.