British Woman Dies in Phuket Hit-and-Run

webfact

22 minutes ago, CecilM said:

Tragic. Hope there are consequences for the driver.
But she is not entirely faultless. Having been here so long, she knows not to trust traffic lights, esp when there is little traffic (otherwise how could the van have been speeding?) and everyone knows that people drive like crazy.

Down that road, I would say yes he was speeding

3 hours ago, Excogitator said:

Funny you should say that, as it is exactly 25 years since I first came to Thailand. Been living here the last 15.

Our experiences clearly differ then. Have never lived on Phuket, though. Visited it a couple of times, years ago. Didn't like it then, and from everything I've heard since, I don't think I would like it now either..

I've been three times in about 30 years, I don't think I need to go again really.

I found it expensive and not much fun.

Not only that, but I could have everything Phuket offers and more in places elsewhere in Thailand without the price gouging, taxi mafias, hassles on jet skis and overall vibe of Give us your money and <deleted>  off.

Maybe, it just isn't for me, but my other half doesn't like it either, and when we holiday, we go together.

I don't mind Samui, I like Koh Chang, I like Rayong, or parts of.

My other half likes Vietnam, Scotland and Whitby as well as York in the UK........ Me too!

Eyes in your backside are not good enough here, If I come out of my soi I always turn left, there is a bend 50 or 60 meters to the right, the problem is the speed they come around that bend, 

Why should van driver be held responsible for her death?  She is a pedestrian, which means she had no car and therefore no money.  Not an important person if she is walking.  Only poor people walk, and poor people are worth less than rich people, who have money and status.  If you have a car and money, then you are more important than pedestrians.  

Be clear on one thing above all others in Thailand, while Thai lives are cheap, farang lives are cheaper. Very few locals will be interested in how or why you died. If you cannot accept this, better to stay away.

Very sorry to read about Zoe's death. RIP.

• Agree 1

Maybe international travellers should consider safer options in regards to countries. Thailand notorious for dangerous street crossings especially when local police don't treat it as urgent or illegal. Can fix these crimes easily but if they don't care nothing will change. A change of government to a more progressive government & get rid of some of these chair sitters within the public service.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Presnock said:

CCTV's reportedly not working....refused films from nearby businesses refused by the police.  Hit and Run murder but police don't seem to be concerned.  Oh, a farang? what's new?

The police refuse to do anything about vehicles running lights and here in Pattaya they seem to increase speed at the red lights.Now I am talking about a set of lights directly opposite the police station.

Motor bikes are worse and think their skills are so good that they can go around the pedestrians and in most cases  yes but somethimes things go terribly wrong.

I heard that a taxi driver in Bangkok got fined 2000 baht for killing a farang pedestrian. That's it. 2000 baht. 

When I cross the street my head is on a swivel. I probably look left and right 6 times before I get to the other side of the street.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, malibukid said:

the Thai's are cowards. not only can most can not drive, but they will not stop a red lights for most pedestrians. they will not stop to render assistance.  hate them.

Why are you even here?

• Confused 2
  • Agree 2

Thai driver 💯... Really, Thai police refuse CCTV footage from businesses 🤬🤬🤬 maybe because they probably know who did it, and it's probably one of their own or one of their patrons. Thai privilege is not limited to just killing farangs, be careful out there.

20 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

story passing around here in Kamala<
she was walking across, van was speeding thru the red light, hit her, killed her<
Van went a bit an than came back,  Police showed up an he made a quick "deal" with them which was NOT accepted by a thai speaking farang and others at the scene.  They than wen to police station where the head cop was "gone" the thai speaking farang said they would go to Phuket town and lo and behold, head cop showed up  ( 5555)   Said the local police "didn't understand" and he would look into it
Cams on light not working, ( did they ever?)  but those at the black cat an kamala beer garden were<
ambulance came and took her away<
Body was overnight in Wat an today is on the way to be cremated

Did anybody get a photo of the driver? 

7 hours ago, Presnock said:

CCTV's reportedly not working....refused films from nearby businesses refused by the police.  Hit and Run murder but police don't seem to be concerned.  Oh, a farang? what's new?

Maybe the police are waiting for the highest offer.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Presnock said:

The Passenger vans are on the police pay role and protected, same as the motorcycle taxis

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The collison between the van she was driving and another vehicle was so forceful that she was thrown 20 metres away from the accident site. 

So, THE BRITISH WOMAN was driving the van????????????????????

Is that the level of reporting of Thaiger??????????????

• Haha 1

On 5/8/2024 at 7:11 AM, hotchilli said:

Amazing...

Sad..this is wrong... Irresponsible attitude..showing no remorse. "Hit and Run" Tougher Law and penalty must be imposed..Criminals like this must be dealt with to the Max...I am fabergusted with this happening..

7 hours ago, webfact said:

In a tragic accident in Kamala, Phuket, a British woman lost her life. Zoe Lucket (65), was killed by a speeding passenger van that charged through a red light at a main intersection on May 5th. The powerful impact reportedly flung her 20 meters down the road, resulting in immediate death.

Shortly after, an ambulance transported her remains to Patong Hospital, where her death was confirmed. However, the seriousness of the accident hasn't been recognized by Kamala Police, who have yet to comment about the incident.

Police in Phuket reported that the CCTV cameras at the site were not working, leaving the accident unrecorded. Several businesses nearby offered their CCTV footage, but the police declined. 

Moreover, a source close to Lucket mentioned that the van driver was not required to undertake an alcohol test post-accident. The informant also raised concerns about the escalating fatal incidents after the road was expanded into a four-lane highway.

Lucket was a long-term resident of Kamala and her untimely death has left the local community, including the expatriates, in deep sorrow.

The English Embassy, if the have any decency, should take note of this and bring this to the INTERNATIONAL NEWS.
The English Embassy should escalate this case of malfaicance of the police to the (international) courts.
The English Embassy/Expat community should organize a visit to the Police and the Mair of Phuket and publish this case on al Social Media Channels.

Making this case known public all over the world would make the Police and governor being shamed.

I see here an opportunity for ASEANNOW to organize this march.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Presnock said:

No one was "murdered".

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Slocum said:

Sad..this is wrong... Irresponsible attitude..showing no remorse. "Hit and Run" Tougher Law and penalty must be imposed..Criminals like this must be dealt with to the Max...I am fabergusted with this happening..

Flabbergasted ? How long have you been in Thailand ?

12 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

The English Embassy, if the have any decency, should take note of this and bring this to the INTERNATIONAL NEWS.
The English Embassy should escalate this case of malfaicance of the police to the (international) courts.
The English Embassy/Expat community should organize a visit to the Police and the Mair of Phuket and publish this case on al Social Media Channels.

Making this case known public all over the world would make the Police and governor being shamed.

I see here an opportunity for ASEANNOW to organize this march.

You must be joking.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, RickyJB said:

I was knocked off my scooter in the same part of kamala, by another psycho. But the cops said to me, "if i not there, then accident not happen" 

"...the cops said to me, "if i not there, then accident not happen".

Cobblers.

• Confused 2
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I remember years ago an accident in Phuket town where a minivan ran the red light and a friend of mine who drove like a lunatic slammed straight in to the side of the van, The van driver had no insurance just coming back from a visa run full of passengers, the police were trying to blame my friend.

"...a friend of mine who drove like a lunatic slammed straight in to the side of the van".

Maybe because your friend was "driving like a lunatic"

• Confused 2