Watch Your Steps At Thai SET...

Thursday, July 26th 2007, global stocks dropped seriously.

If you have stocks on the Thai SET, watch your steps, tomorrow July 27th.

Dow Jones - 2.26%

Nasdaq - 1.84%

S&P 500 - 2.33%

FTSE - 3.15%

DAX - 2.39%

CAC all - 2.62%

Other stock markets, from Brazil to Sweden, Spain, Italy, Moscow, South Africa, Japan, Hong Kong, S Korea, Australia, Singapore, Taiwan ended lower as well.

Thailand: + 0.06% and China + 1.12% were (amongst a few other) exceptions.

LaoPo

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bet the Thai stock market goes up tommorow.

SET = -2.33% at 863.58

Most of Far East Indexes are down today, including Australia and NZ.

Taiwan and S Korea even by more than 4%.

European indexes, still a few hours to go, are -slightly- down or moving sidewards.

LaoPo

Is it possible to trade the set long and short , how much margin do you need to put with a broker to trade ? what is a tick worth on the set ? is the market liquid and is trading done via internet or through a thai broker on telephone ?

Any info guys .

JB

Is it possible to trade the set long and short , how much margin do you need to put with a broker to trade ? what is a tick worth on the set ? is the market liquid and is trading done via internet or through a thai broker on telephone ?

Any info guys .

JB

You may want to try this company*:

http://www.settrade.com/login.jsp?txtBrokerId=IPO

* I have no personal ties with them.

LaoPo

<br />
Is it possible to trade the set long and short , how much margin do you need to put with a broker to trade ? what is a tick worth on the set ? is the market liquid and is trading done via internet or through a thai broker on telephone ?<br /><br />Any info guys .<br /><br />JB
<br /><br />You may want to try this company*:<br /><br /><a href="http://www.settrade.com/login.jsp?txtBrokerId=IPO" target="_blank">http://www.settrade.com/login.jsp?txtBrokerId=IPO</a><br /><br />* I have no personal ties with them.<br /><br /><font color="#0000FF">LaoPo</font><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thank you for the link its exactly what i was looking for .

JB

Bet the Thai stock market goes up tommorow.

SET = -2.33% at 863.58

Most of Far East Indexes are down today, including Australia and NZ.

Taiwan and S Korea even by more than 4%.

European indexes, still a few hours to go, are -slightly- down or moving sidewards.

LaoPo

Update:

Closing quotes as of Friday, July 27th:

Dow Jones IA - 1.54% at 13,265.47. Considering that the DJIA touched the 14.000 line earlier this week, it's a pretty heavy decline.

Nasdaq: - 1.43%

S&P 500 - 1.60%

European stocks were also lower but not as tough as in the US and Asia, apart from China, which markets moved sidewards.

LaoPo

The Thai stock market appears to be closed today ( Monday, July 30th).

I've got a few hundred shares of the Thai Fund, a mutual fund comprising a basket of Thai stocks. This fund trades on the New York stock exchange ( ticker symbol: TTF) . New York hasn't yet opened, but, this fund is sharply down in Frankfurt:

http://stocks.us.reuters.com/stocks/overvi...sp?symbol=TTF.F

It is very likely that this stock will also fall when New York opens, implying general pessimism relevant to the Thai market. However, unless the US stock market continues in a downward spiral over the coming weeks; my PERSONAL feeling is that the Thai stock market will recover after some correction.

Am basing my views the massive 'hot' money inflows into Thailand ; these have resulted in the the recent rise of Thai stocks plus the sharp appreciation of the Thai Baht.

The Thai stock market appears to be closed today ( Monday, July 30th).

I've got a few hundred shares of the Thai Fund, a mutual fund comprising a basket of Thai stocks. This fund trades on the New York stock exchange ( ticker symbol: TTF) . New York hasn't yet opened, but, this fund is sharply down in Frankfurt:

http://stocks.us.reuters.com/stocks/overvi...sp?symbol=TTF.F

It is very likely that this stock will also fall when New York opens, implying general pessimism relevant to the Thai market. However, unless the US stock market continues in a downward spiral over the coming weeks; my PERSONAL feeling is that the Thai stock market will recover after some correction.

Am basing my views the massive 'hot' money inflows into Thailand ; these have resulted in the the recent rise of Thai stocks plus the sharp appreciation of the Thai Baht.

:o Your Fund was UP today (July 30) by 3.60% ($ 0,47) to 13,52. That's not bad at all.

Apart from that, Asian stocks recovered today, some a bit more than others and NYSE/DOW/S&P 500/NASDAQ is also up. Europe is flat or sidewards.

LaoPo

SET and other Asian stock markets are down sharp today, but markets not closed yet.

SET down -2.25% so far.

NIKKEI, HANG SENG, TAIWAN, S KOREA, SINGAPORE, INDONESIA as well as AUSTRALIA & N ZEALAND down sharp as well, some over as much as -4%.

Markets are worried about plunging Mortgage Banks in the US who can't fulfill their commitments anymore but also leaving thousands of new house buyers in the cold.

All in all, the Mortgage Crisis is spreading and thats bad news, very bad, for the total US economy, financial markets and the rest of the world as well.

On top of that Hedge Funds are facing difficult times and it is to be feared that many will fall and go under.

There's positive news as well:

" `Buy Thailand'

As a whole, Thailand's exchange has lagged behind other major stock markets. On July 31, the Stock Exchange of Thailand had the lowest 2007 price-to-earnings ratio of the 14 exchanges in Asia tracked by Bloomberg. The SET's value of 12.6 times this year's estimated earnings was about a third of the 38.5 for the CSI 300 Index of stocks traded in Shanghai and Shenzhen.

``Now is an excellent time to buy Thailand,'' says Doug Barnett, managing director at Bangkok-based Quest Management Inc., which runs the $350 million Thai Focused Equity Fund in which billionaires Julian Robertson and John Templeton invested. ``It's so cheap it would take a 40 percent rally just to catch up with the average for the rest of Asia.''

Analysts at London-based HSBC Holdings Plc and Sydney-based Macquarie Bank Ltd. are advising clients to consider Thai stocks. "

....Hong Kong-based Asian equities strategist at HSBC Garry Evans predicts a 70 percent chance of a restoration of democratic government in Thailand by early next year. ``The market could very dramatically increase by as much as 50 percent,'' he says.

from Bloomberg.

LaoPo

• 2 weeks later...
Wonder what the future holds, reckon it might tank. Good time for shadow watchers who are just waiting to make the big buy-ins...

I used to do that. Thought that the wisest move is to watch and go in big when the time is ripe. It turned out to be only good in theory. Whenever it happens, it is always too late. With the big jump, you then tend to think it is too high. So, in the end, you don't have anything cheap.

My revised tactic is to accumulate if I think the current situation is irrational. Whenever, I buy bits and pieces almost daily, I always have the feeling whether I have done the right thing. With that feeling and averaging cost, it has proved to be right subsequently.

Dow Jones landed almost -1.6% down today (Tuesday, 14th, 2007) and Nasdaq -1.7% and S&P500 even -1.82%.

Dow Jones lost almost 1.000 points in less than a month, from 14,000, down to almost 13.000 but still 2.000 points up from lowest point 1 year to date; 11.000.

The world stock markets are very nervous and it seems that consumer products (shares) are being under attack now also because of the 'sub-prime' financial banking system problems, which in fact concerns the WHOLE world [banking and financial] system because those sub-prime mortgages were re-sold all over the world.

The problem is that nobody knows (or wants to admit, yet) which banks are involved and for how much...

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

This morning, Wednesday, August 14, 2007, Tokyo:

"Japanese Stocks Slide After Wal-Mart Cuts Forecast, Yen Gains"

Nikkei is down, so far, -1.7% (but still trading).

"``Shares will follow the decline by the U.S. market today,'' said Hiroichi Nishi, an equities manager at Nikko Cordial Securities Inc. in Tokyo. ``The subprime problem is hanging over the market like a mist.''

In other Asian markets, Australia's S&P/ASX 200 Index fell 1.8 percent and New Zealand's NZX 50 Index declined 1.3 percent. The South Korean market was closed for a holiday.

From: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=news

LaoPo

SET index plunges in same direction with regional markets

Wednesday 15 August 2007 02:58:07 PM (GMT+7:00)

The Stock Exchange of Thailand’s composite index continued to nose-dive in the morning trading session in tandem with other markets in the region, pressed by heavy selling by foreign investors.

The index plunged 10.09 points to 783.73 at the opening bell of the trading session and further dropped to a strong support level of 770 points before recouping its loss and closing at 779.87, down 13.95 or 1.76 per cent, with a trading value of 8.08 billion baht.

snip

MCOT Public Company Limited.

and apparently lunch was mai aloy

setIndex1.gif

set.or.th