Is there a good app to listen to a Thai speaker and the result is translated English text?

Yesterday I was at one of those meetings where some people talk in Thai and others in English. Some of what they say is then translated by one of the participants. But often there are parts which are not translated.

I saw one guy who had an app running on his phone which showed text. I guess that was a translation, but I don't know, I was too far from him and couldn't ask him later.

Do you know about such an app? In my case for Android.

I searched in the Android shop yesterday and I found something for individual translation. That would work if one person talks, then the other looks at the text, and so on. That wouldn't be good enough for what I want. In my case the app should permanently translate what is said. One way. A Thai person talks and it should write in English what the person is saying, right at that moment.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Yeah ^^^, I've found Google Translate/Google Lens works pretty well for one-on-one conversation, but it's not so good in meetings particularly with multiple background conversations (as is common with Thai meetings).

It also needs a pretty good internet connection for speech translation.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

You're right about the limitations in meetings and background noise, but I think that's a general limitation of the mic rather than a GX problem.

It might be possible to get round this by zooming the camera onto the speaker. With some phones this also zooms the microphone and would enable the mic to focus on the speaker. I've tried this and it works, but I haven't tried combining it simultaneously with the GX app.

Yes you'd need a good connection, but I've done it successfully with data services too

Edited by oldscool
  • Like 2

Samsung seem to have phone specific interpreter called live translate, is it better than standard google translate? 

Even google own phone the pixel has live translate, the difference seem to be that it doesn't need data connection to work as it stays on the phone

I tried several such apps over the past few years. Some apps (like "SayHi") worked well for some time, then the script kids couldn't leave well enough alone and ruined it. In the end I always fell back on Google Translate as it has been the app yielding the most consistent results. This is not to say the script kids are not trying to ruin Google Translate. For instance in the past Google Translate could capture a written sentence in Thai and send it (in Thai) to the translator page. Now no more. It only captures the English translation (which I need not capture since "seeing" it is more than enough).

To summarize: Google Translate is the app with the least poor results.

• Like 1