Unchecked Migration Threatens Britain's Social Fabric

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Great referred to the size of it's presence on the planet. It has almost none outside of the British Isles now, apart from Diego Garcia and the Falklands.

Great Britain is an island separated from the European mainland by the English Channel and North Sea and comprises the nations of England, Scotland and Wales.

I wonder if that makes Eire Little Britain?

image.jpeg.f3ccfea9c0c2d96c47014302f599a115.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 5/12/2024 at 1:25 PM, RayC said:

So the white man living in the UK is now a 2nd class citizens? The evidence suggests otherwise.

"Allaha Akbar" (God is great). A view held by followers of most deities. I assume that the councillor believed that God was responsible for his victory. Personally, I'd have thanked the voters in my ward.

Have you been hacked too?

On 5/13/2024 at 2:20 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Correct. We ( myself when I lived there ) have the right to comply with whatever idiocies the immigration office can dream up to make it harder to extend and stay, and to pay for the privilege of being jerked about. We have the right to support a wife/ gf and her family/ actual husband at great expense to ourselves till she kicks us out. We have the right to be charged more at national parks. We have the right to be scammed, etc etc etc.

Oh dear. How sad. Never mind. I guess that's why you don't live in Thailand any more.

Just because you got shafted, doesn't mean everyobe does. Maybe it was your attitude, just sayin'.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, nauseus said:

Well there are big differences. You could start with a passport and visa, perhaps? Try that here without the documents! 

Have you tried it in UK without document?

I know people on visas in UK. All of them needed documents.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Great referred to the size of it's presence on the planet. It has almost none outside of the British Isles now, apart from Diego Garcia and the Falklands.

The Greeks referred to the island of England, Scotland and Wales as 'Great Britain' and the island of Ireland as 'Little Britain'.

Later, the Romans referred to both islands as 'Britannia Major' and the occupied part of France, known as Brittany, as 'Britannia Minor'

Nothing to do with the British Empire I'm afraid 🙂

21 minutes ago, GanDoonToonPet said:

The Greeks referred to the island of England, Scotland and Wales as 'Great Britain' and the island of Ireland as 'Little Britain'.

Later, the Romans referred to both islands as 'Britannia Major' and the occupied part of France, known as Brittany, as 'Britannia Minor'

Nothing to do with the British Empire I'm afraid 🙂

Nice try but no cigar.

https://www.google.com/search?q=were+the+ancient+greeks+aware+of+britain&client=firefox-b-d&sca_esv=73778d81cd87c189&sca_upv=1&ei=rxRDZr7YGqPv2roP6bu9sA8&ved=0ahUKEwj-64eT0YyGAxWjt1YBHeldD_YQ4dUDCBA&oq=were+the+ancient+greeks+aware+of+britain&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiKHdlcmUgdGhlIGFuY2llbnQgZ3JlZWtzIGF3YXJlIG9mIGJyaXRhaW5IAFAAWABwAHgAkAEAmAEAoAEAqgEAuAEMyAEAmAIAoAIAmAMAkgcAoAcA&sclient=gws-wiz-serp

What did the ancient Greeks call Britain?

Albion

Albion, the earliest-known name for the island of Britain. It was used by ancient Greek geographers from the 4th century bce and even earlier, who distinguished “Albion” from Ierne (Ireland) and from smaller members of the British Isles. The Greeks and Romans probably received the name from the Gauls or the Celts.

18 hours ago, nauseus said:

Well there are big differences. You could start with a passport and visa, perhaps? Try that here without the documents! 

I don't understand your point?

Legal immigrants to the UK need to have a passport and visa. Illegal immigrants to the UK and Thailand will either be treated as refugees or deported.

Anyway, that is tangential to the point which was I was making i.e. that those calling for immigrants to fully integrate into UK society should, if they are being consistent, apply the same requirement to UK expats who have made Thailand their home.

So far the only attempt to counter my contention relies on semantics.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2024 at 4:26 AM, ExpatOilWorker said:

The same is happening all over Europe. 

Its not just the other side   of the pond, either!

UK government a joke. 

Told us that leaving Europe they would be able to control immigration... Lied to is that it was Europe's fault UK was powerless to stop immigrants. 

Well, they lied.  They actually wanted to get nfke immigrants...to use the for the massive amount of jobs left behind when genuine legal European people could come live and work in the UK. 

They also are totally incompetent at stopping illegal immigrants. Dads Army would do a better job. 

They also love to use the immigrants as scapegoat for their politics.  

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, RayC said:

I don't understand your point?

Legal immigrants to the UK need to have a passport and visa. Illegal immigrants to the UK and Thailand will either be treated as refugees or deported.

Anyway, that is tangential to the point which was I was making i.e. that those calling for immigrants to fully integrate into UK society should, if they are being consistent, apply the same requirement to UK expats who have made Thailand their home.

So far the only attempt to counter my contention relies on semantics.

Most UK expats here are not immigrants (it says so on the visa tin) and have not applied to become so. If they were invited to immigrate and then wanted to do so, then it would be fair to require them to integrate much further (which is required in several ways anway, for the few who have been though all the hoops and managed to attatn cizenship, usually after many years). No semantics just how it is.

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Nice try but no cigar.

https://www.google.com/search?q=were+the+ancient+greeks+aware+of+britain&client=firefox-b-d&sca_esv=73778d81cd87c189&sca_upv=1&ei=rxRDZr7YGqPv2roP6bu9sA8&ved=0ahUKEwj-64eT0YyGAxWjt1YBHeldD_YQ4dUDCBA&oq=were+the+ancient+greeks+aware+of+britain&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiKHdlcmUgdGhlIGFuY2llbnQgZ3JlZWtzIGF3YXJlIG9mIGJyaXRhaW5IAFAAWABwAHgAkAEAmAEAoAEAqgEAuAEMyAEAmAIAoAIAmAMAkgcAoAcA&sclient=gws-wiz-serp

What did the ancient Greeks call Britain?

Albion

Albion, the earliest-known name for the island of Britain. It was used by ancient Greek geographers from the 4th century bce and even earlier, who distinguished “Albion” from Ierne (Ireland) and from smaller members of the British Isles. The Greeks and Romans probably received the name from the Gauls or the Celts.

Here's the cigar...I referred to the Greeks, not ancient Greeks. In particular, Ptolemy described Britain as in my above post. As you didn't comment on the Romans, I assume you accept that part.

Anyway, as to my original claim, that 'great' refers to physical size as opposed 'good, excellent, wonderful, terrific, awesome, fantastic, superb, exceptional, phenomenal, first-rate, sensational' or similar, still stands. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

Most UK expats here are not immigrants (it says so on the visa tin) and have not applied to become so. If they were invited to immigrate and then wanted to do so, then it would be fair to require them to integrate much further (which is required in several ways anway, for the few who have been though all the hoops and managed to attatn cizenship, usually after many years). No semantics just how it is.

Are you suggesting that a British expat who has lived in Thailand for say 4 years, speaks no more than very basic Thai, cannot read Thai and spends most of his time in an expat bubble is not being inconsistent when he demands that immigrants to the UK integrate themselves into UK society by embracing British culture, simply because the stamp in his passport states "Non-Imm" whilst that of the immigrant to the UK reads "Imm"? 

It's a semantic justification for hypocrisy.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, RayC said:

Are you suggesting that a British expat who has lived in Thailand for say 4 years, speaks no more than very basic Thai, cannot read Thai and spends most of his time in an expat bubble is not being inconsistent when he demands that immigrants to the UK integrate themselves into UK society by embracing British culture, simply because the stamp in his passport states "Non-Imm" whilst that of the immigrant to the UK reads "Imm"? 

It's a semantic justification for hypocrisy.

There is no comparison, therfore no inconsistency nor hypocracy.

• Agree 1

Just now, youreavinalaff said:

It's only words.

If any expat, even though a non immigrant, stays in Thailand for a long time and considers it as their home and where they live , they should make the effort to integrate.

And learn the language to at least a basic level.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, GanDoonToonPet said:

Here's the cigar...I referred to the Greeks, not ancient Greeks. In particular, Ptolemy described Britain as in my above post. As you didn't comment on the Romans, I assume you accept that part.

Anyway, as to my original claim, that 'great' refers to physical size as opposed 'good, excellent, wonderful, terrific, awesome, fantastic, superb, exceptional, phenomenal, first-rate, sensational' or similar, still stands. 🙂

A link supporting your claim is in order. I gave one to support mine.

15 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

It's only words.

If any expat, even though a non immigrant, stays in Thailand for a decent amount of time, having had multiple extensions of stay and considers it as their home and where they live , they should make the effort to integrate.

Your opinion. Fine. But the topic conerns the UK, not Thailand.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Not if you keep up with recent posts, including yours.

Ooh. My bad. Sucked off topic by irrelevence.