Kiwi held in Pattaya for overstaying visa by six years

webfact

1 hour ago, Kiwiken said:

Maybe running from a significant other in NZ that made such an existence seem the better option. It will all come out in the wash

No it won't. There will be no follow-up, no further mention of him at all. There never is, unless he's Swiss and kicks someone - and even that has gone quiet. Same as the NZ motorcycle brothers who attacked a cop. News has an instant expiry date most of the time.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

As far as I am concerned it is only he has no piece of paper that says he can live inside an imaginary line. Unless he is committing some real offenses or working illegally it is a victimless crime. 

I don't really believe in borders anymore. As long as people follow the rules and do not become a public burden they should live where they want.

I agree 100%. John Lennon had it right when he sang 'Imagine there's no countries, no religion too'.

But border rules are there these days to try and prevent the poor overwhelming more affluent countries. The US and Mexico, the UK and mainland Europe receiving 'economic refugees' from Africa. Thailand, being the self-appointed greatest country on Earth, believes that everyone wants to flock to their third world paradise, and so also rounds up those who don't play by the rules.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Chivas said:

Interesting that he avoided going out to avoid any potential Police involvement etc etc

Has anyone here solely walking around on foot every been approached by a random Police officer  ? (so not on motorbike car etc etc)

I certainly havent in well over 30 years plus

Once but that was because I was walking down a road they knew was a little bit flooded (i would have walked through the 2 inch puddle) about 100 meters further along and asked if I wanted a lift in the pick up truck through the water, didn't ask any details just being nice.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I agree 100%. John Lennon had it right when he sang 'Imagine there's no countries, no religion too'.

But border rules are there these days to try and prevent the poor overwhelming more affluent countries. The US and Mexico, the UK and mainland Europe receiving 'economic refugees' from Africa. Thailand, being the self-appointed greatest country on Earth, believes that everyone wants to flock to their third world paradise, and so also rounds up those who don't play by the rules.

take away the state (all of it!) including the social security/benefits problem solved either you work to maintain the living costs of living in the stronger economy you fled to or you go back.... 

20 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A 60-year-old New Zealander, Mr. Corrine, has been nabbed by immigration officers in the popular Thai holiday spot of Pattaya for overstaying his visa by almost six years.

The arrest took place at a corner shop near Jomtien Beach, confirmed Immigration Police.

This detainment comes as part of a crackdown operation, labeled “X-ray,” which targets visa violators along with foreigners involved in criminal activities or encroaching on Thai-specific jobs.

Mr. Corrine’s overstaying record amounted to a staggering 2,173 days, as per police sources.

During interrogation, he admitted to flying under the radar for nearly six years by keeping a low profile and steering clear of making local connections.

He confessed to venturing outside his abode only during evenings to procure essentials, all in a bid to avoid run-ins with law enforcement.

Having been alerted to his breach, Immigration Police have apprised him of his offense. He currently remains in Pattaya awaiting the legal processes for deportation.

Immigration Police Picture courtesy: Chiang Rai Times

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-12

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

After six excited years it's time to recover in NZ back home.🙏

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

No it won't. There will be no follow-up, no further mention of him at all. There never is, unless he's Swiss and kicks someone - and even that has gone quiet. Same as the NZ motorcycle brothers who attacked a cop. News has an instant expiry date most of the time.

And the Kho Toa bloke dead in a ditch!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Ok so they just never use their real passport. Seems it would be tough to do here to me it’s so communal. I mean yeah in uk it would be easy to hide 

Until they start asking for fingerprints, then you don't do anything with another person's passport.
Sometimes they are not so crazy in LOS.

Posted (edited)

Having been alerted to his breach, Immigration Police have apprised him of his offense. He currently remains in Pattaya awaiting the legal processes for deportation.

Immigration were alerted to his breach. LOL I guess in the end, and depite his low profile, someone eventually stitched him up. This was no fancy investigative police work. Criminals eventually make mistakes.

Edited by Foreign Jim

It sounds like someone snitched on him?

While the officers were inspecting the area on Friday night, they found a foreign male matching the description provided by the source in front of a convenience store on Soi 8, Jomtien Beach Road, Pattaya. ... 

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2024/05/11/a-lonely-new-zealander-overstays-in-pattaya-for-over-2000-days/

Immigration must have live list of overstayers, with an entry but no departure. The problem is they could be anywhere. 

This chap logged 3,168 days, in Uthai Thani, and he worked as a street vendor...https://aseannow.com/topic/1308915-indian-man-arrested-after-3168-days-visa-overstay-in-thailand/

16 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Depends what there is back home.  If it's the same but the weather is poor and he can't get a girl, maybe this is the better choice.

Quite so, but just imagine having to look over your shoulder, for 6 years, not knowing if or when you will get caught?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Quite so, but just imagine having to look over your shoulder, for 6 years, not knowing if or when you will get caught?

I guess one eventually becomes complacent , and then the minute you let your guard down this happens 

Wonder who grassed him up?  

Edited by Bday Prang

53 minutes ago, G_Money said:

A retirement visa would have solved his problem.  

Indeed, and not so difficult to get in Pattaya, even on a limited income. There was a time, some years ago, when overstaying was a thing, pretty much an accepted strategy, not so much these days.

19 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

In my 8 years living here, it only happened to me once... in the very first year... I was in Roi Et. Police came right up me and asked to see my passport. All I was doing was eating ice cream in the shade with my lady friend. 

I've been asked once, completely random. I was with a bunch of Thais, waiting for sister in law outside her room. A guy drives up and when he gets out he's in immigration uniform. He says hello. Says he's her neighbour. Do you mind if I look at your passport? No problem I reply and produce it. Lucky I had it with me! Then he asks if I mind him taking a photo of me with his phone. OK. Next he asks one of the Thais to take one of him with me and puts his arm round my shoulder and puts on a big meaning smile. Thank you so much he says  went into his room. Never saw him again.

I have had a guy at Immigration Office ask to take photo on his mobile plus my number. Sure I said if I can do the same with you. So we exchanged photos and numbers. Nothing has come if that either!

• Haha 1

Probably done him a favour 

Looks like his life was not to good in Pattaya if it was trying to keep a low profile 

Once deported  back to New Zealand he can get back to having a proper life 

And enjoy 😉 

• Thumbs Up 1

We had a chance to attend University of Tasmania but cost of living there is just crazy. Same goes to other at NZ and esp. in Australia - every teacher is "teecha Bob" or "teecha Stevee"

End up with MY - "Truly Asia"

I'd liken some folk's overstay to not renewing tax on a motorcycle....don't do it once. never have an issue so never bother doing it again.

The penalty  if you do get caught out obviously far greater though !

23 hours ago, mfd101 said:

You'ld wonder what the point was ... Come to the tropical paradise but spend the whole time hiding under the bed.

And so, once again, we see that not all of us are gifted with common sense. So applying our sense to someone who lacks it makes it a flawed equation. For example, why not get a retirement visa? But he may have mental health impairments or disability. I think it's likely he may have come here on a tourist visa, liked what he saw, and then decided to stay, which changed the whole thing at that point. I don't think very many overstayers plan it out in advance.