Kiwi held in Pattaya for overstaying visa by six years

webfact

50 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

Seems unlikely they would just check on a random farang, maybe you fit the description of someone they were after.

maybe. it was never explained to me, and i didn't ask. just showed my credentials and he went away.

1 hour ago, Cabradelmar said:

In my 8 years living here, it only happened to me once... in the very first year... I was in Roi Et. Police came right up me and asked to see my passport. All I was doing was eating ice cream in the shade with my lady friend. 

Good point

I had been referring to Pattaya rather than Issan where farang obviously stand out so yes fair play

1 minute ago, Chivas said:

Good point

I had been referring to Pattaya rather than Issan where farang obviously stand out so yes fair play

Just to clarify... I was not living up there, just visiting. I live in Bangkok, and no one here looks twice. In high traffic tourist areas, I don't think it would be hard at all to avoid detection for years (without having to be "in hiding"). I seem to recall years ago reading about a 70+ year old farang in Bangkok finally being caught out on 5000+ day overstay.

7 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

I seem to recall years ago reading about a 70+ year old farang in Bangkok finally being caught out on 5000+ day overstay.

Wow! that is really cool over-stay! more than 13 years!

3 hours ago, NativeBob said:

As I noticed they (over-stayers) are doing just fine - card expired? use online banking and friends to cash out. Passport? 500 thb should be enough to compensate. 

Sounds tempting lol

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

As far as I am concerned it is only he has no piece of paper that says he can live inside an imaginary line. Unless he is committing some real offenses or working illegally it is a victimless crime. 

I don't really believe in borders anymore. As long as people follow the rules and do not become a public burden they should live where they want.

It seems to me that before the First World War, borders as we know them today did not exist. And it would be a world that has become eutopian today to live without borders because the reality is very different.

But beyond these considerations, why does a person want to live like a recluse in Thailand, this country has many advantages but many increasingly serious defects and live in those conditions in secret always being afraid of being discovered until you are the first or afterwards you would be arrested, for me it makes no sense and it impairs my understanding.

47 minutes ago, BE88 said:

It seems to me that before the First World War, borders as we know them today did not exist. And it would be a world that has become eutopian today to live without borders because the reality is very different.

But beyond these considerations, why does a person want to live like a recluse in Thailand, this country has many advantages but many increasingly serious defects and live in those conditions in secret always being afraid of being discovered until you are the first or afterwards you would be arrested, for me it makes no sense and it impairs my understanding.

In the case of my country you need so much money just to rent an apartment that people who have $2000 per month coming in from social security sleep on the street in their own filth. 

While here how much is a basic room with shower private toilet and a fan? How much is basic survival food? Is it dangerous if you mind yournown business?

3 hours ago, NativeBob said:

Wow! that is really cool over-stay! more than 13 years!

Had a friend on Koh Samui that passed away last year, overstay since 1974

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, mfd101 said:

You'ld wonder what the point was ... Come to the tropical paradise but spend the whole time hiding under the bed.

This is what he told them and you believed but the reality could be a daily visit to his local girlie bar.

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

In the case of my country you need so much money just to rent an apartment that people who have $2000 per month coming in from social security sleep on the street in their own filth. 

Which country is that?

17 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Gawd, what a miserable existence. 

Maybe running from a significant other in NZ that made such an existence seem the better option. It will all come out in the wash

17 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Gawd, what a miserable existence. 

might have been procuring services of a nice lady in the evenings, thats not to miserable.

He does not qualify for the pension until 65 so must have had some way of survival.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Can someone even explain how this happens. Thais have record of them incoming. But then no outgoing record. So they know the individual is still in the country, or dead perhaps. Or snuck out through the Cambodia border. 

Maybe they don’t even keep track of it this way? 

That magical word "crackdown" is what it's all about.

Between each crackdown, time and motion ceases to exist. Police are in a state of limbo.

9 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

This is what he told them and you believed but the reality could be a daily visit to his local girlie bar.

I didn't believe a word of his story. I would be more likely to believe some "girlie" reported him. It seems likely they were searching for him.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Can someone even explain how this happens. Thais have record of them incoming. But then no outgoing record. So they know the individual is still in the country, or dead perhaps. Or snuck out through the Cambodia border. 

Maybe they don’t even keep track of it this way? 

Operation X-ray...Hmm!..RTP plain clothes Immigration Bureau police do have and use Facial Recognition scanners..i would think they were sitting off outside 7/11s..like bugs to a lamp.

18 hours ago, webfact said:

He confessed to venturing outside his abode only during evenings to procure essentials, all in a bid to avoid run-ins with law enforcement.

Getting caught must have been a relief. Now, finally, his life can begin..

18 hours ago, mfd101 said:

You'ld wonder what the point was ... Come to the tropical paradise but spend the whole time hiding under the bed.

It might be the farang equivalent of the Thai women we read about on this site who leave their rented accommodation literally full of trash. They simply can't cope with the escalating situation they find themselves in and then pretty much give up trying.

• Like 1

NZ, beautiful country to visit but it's getting more expensive each day. 

The cost of living is way higher than Thailand. The public health system is not in good stead.  Want a local doctors appointment? Likely to be a waiting list and you'll need to book weeks in advance. 

Owning your first home is extremely hard, big deposits and high interest rates. Rent average is around NZ$500 a week (11000 baht/ US$300/BP250). 

I don't know how pensioners survive unless they have their own house and savings. Although this guy hasn't made it to that stage yet. 

In Thailand you can live quite well and for a lot less.  Not surprised he overstayed. He'll be in for a shock if/when he returns to NZ. 

Unsure how it works here in regards to deportation. I suspect he'll have to pay the fine for overstaying and air tickets back to NZ.  What if he has insufficient money? 

Does he rot in a holding/detention area/cell? I'm sure the RTP won't release him until they get there monies. The embassy will give out advise and that's all. 

Silly guy,  he'll be barred from returning for 10 year now.

• Sad 1