Bridging Divides: Speaker Johnson's Call for Unity in Congress

image.png

Speaker Mike Johnson has been urging lawmakers to remember their shared identity as Americans and focus on common adversaries rather than internal strife. Johnson, a Republican from Louisiana, recently weathered an attempt to oust him from his leadership role. Yet, instead of dwelling on divisions, he emphasized the need for unity in facing external threats.

Reflecting on a poignant moment in history, Johnson recalled how former President Ronald Reagan and Democratic Speaker Tip O'Neill found common ground after a harrowing assassination attempt. Despite their ideological differences, they maintained mutual respect, setting an example of bipartisan cooperation sorely needed today.

"The person on the other side of the aisle is not an enemy," Johnson asserted. "They're a fellow American. Our enemies are like Hamas and Hezbollah—those who seek to harm us."

Taking the helm just over six months ago, Johnson's tenure has been marked by challenges and controversies. Following the departure of former Speaker Kevin McCarthy, he stepped up to lead House Republicans. Since then, he's navigated a delicate balancing act, addressing urgent matters like aid for Ukraine while addressing GOP demands for stricter border security.

However, internal tensions flared when Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia pushed for Johnson's removal, citing differences in leadership approach. Yet, in a resounding show of support, the House rallied behind Johnson, with even former President Donald Trump backing him.

In an interview with Politico shortly after surviving the vote, Johnson emphasized the importance of putting aside personal grievances for the greater good. "We have a job to do here. We have to govern," he stated. "Let's rip the Band-Aid off and get it done."

Acknowledging the frustrations of his colleagues, Johnson affirmed his commitment to inclusivity, welcoming constructive feedback from both sides of the aisle. Despite the attempted ousting, he pledged not to harbor resentment and stressed the imperative of cooperation, especially given the narrow Republican majority in the House.

"The landslide vote against removing the Speaker is a signal that people on both sides of the aisle understand this is not a time for games," Johnson emphasized.

In a political landscape often marred by polarization and discord, Johnson's steadfast call for unity serves as a reminder of the power of bipartisanship in tackling pressing challenges. As lawmakers grapple with complex issues and external threats, his message resonates for a more collaborative future in Congress.

Credit: The Hill 2024-05-13

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

9 hours ago, Social Media said:

image.png

Speaker Mike Johnson has been urging lawmakers to remember their shared identity as Americans and focus on common adversaries rather than internal strife. Johnson, a Republican from Louisiana, recently weathered an attempt to oust him from his leadership role. Yet, instead of dwelling on divisions, he emphasized the need for unity in facing external threats.

Reflecting on a poignant moment in history, Johnson recalled how former President Ronald Reagan and Democratic Speaker Tip O'Neill found common ground after a harrowing assassination attempt. Despite their ideological differences, they maintained mutual respect, setting an example of bipartisan cooperation sorely needed today.

"The person on the other side of the aisle is not an enemy," Johnson asserted. "They're a fellow American. Our enemies are like Hamas and Hezbollah—those who seek to harm us."

Taking the helm just over six months ago, Johnson's tenure has been marked by challenges and controversies. Following the departure of former Speaker Kevin McCarthy, he stepped up to lead House Republicans. Since then, he's navigated a delicate balancing act, addressing urgent matters like aid for Ukraine while addressing GOP demands for stricter border security.

However, internal tensions flared when Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia pushed for Johnson's removal, citing differences in leadership approach. Yet, in a resounding show of support, the House rallied behind Johnson, with even former President Donald Trump backing him.

In an interview with Politico shortly after surviving the vote, Johnson emphasized the importance of putting aside personal grievances for the greater good. "We have a job to do here. We have to govern," he stated. "Let's rip the Band-Aid off and get it done."

Acknowledging the frustrations of his colleagues, Johnson affirmed his commitment to inclusivity, welcoming constructive feedback from both sides of the aisle. Despite the attempted ousting, he pledged not to harbor resentment and stressed the imperative of cooperation, especially given the narrow Republican majority in the House.

"The landslide vote against removing the Speaker is a signal that people on both sides of the aisle understand this is not a time for games," Johnson emphasized.

In a political landscape often marred by polarization and discord, Johnson's steadfast call for unity serves as a reminder of the power of bipartisanship in tackling pressing challenges. As lawmakers grapple with complex issues and external threats, his message resonates for a more collaborative future in Congress.

Credit: The Hill 2024-05-13

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Who is Boris Johnson, except of Britain's biggest liar?🙏

Posted (edited)

A question from a non-American. Why is so much power given to one elected politician (who may have been voted in by just thousands of his constituents), simply because he/she is the Speaker of the House?

In this position you can refuse to bring proposals, or legislation, to the vote. Simply because you don't like it, or that guy from Mar a Lardo doesn't like it. Or your wife. Or the Bible commands you not to do it. Anything!

It seems very anti-democratic, very archaic. And that quaint anti-democratic system is kept in place by both parties, of course. Because it gives them the opportunity to complain and whine about the other party: gridlock! the chaos Congress !, instead of just bringing legislation to a vote, and then pass it or not pass it.

Edited by Presto

41 minutes ago, Presto said:

Why is so much power given to one elected politician (who may have been voted in by just thousands of his constituents), simply because he/she is the Speaker of the House?

There are multiple answers but I'll offer one.

The Speaker of the US House is second in line of succession to the POTUS behind only the VPOTUS. It is a position of congressional power above the other 434 members of the House and on par with the Majority Leader of the Senate. 

A good reason not to allow Majorie Greene now booted from the House Freedom Caucus any real House leadership power. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

There are multiple answers but I'll offer one.

The Speaker of the US House is second in line of succession to the POTUS behind only the VPOTUS. It is a position of congressional power above the other 434 members of the House and on par with the Majority Leader of the Senate. 

A good reason not to allow Majorie Greene now booted from the House Freedom Caucus any real House leadership power. 

Yes, the majority leader of the Senate has the same power. The same anti-democratic power.

And they're both third in line to the president. I'm not sure why that gives them that anti-democratic power, in a normal situation.

57 minutes ago, Presto said:

A question from a non-American. Why is so much power given to one elected politician (who may have been voted in by just thousands of his constituents), simply because he/she is the Speaker of the House?

In this position you can refuse to bring proposals, or legislation, to the vote. Simply because you don't like it, or that guy from Mar a Lardo doesn't like it. Or your wife. Or the Bible commands you not to do it. Anything!

It seems very anti-democratic, very archaic. And that quaint anti-democratic system is kept in place by both parties, of course. Because it gives them the opportunity to complain and whine about the other party: gridlock! the chaos Congress !, instead of just bringing legislation to a vote, and then pass it or not pass it.

Because it is a republic, not a pure democracy. Representative government, one of our biggest mistakes was the 17th amendment. 

Most of the time, gridlock is the best thing that can happen. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

Because it is a republic, not a pure democracy. Representative government, one of our biggest mistakes was the 17th amendment. 

Most of the time, gridlock is the best thing that can happen. 

I'm confused now. By you. I keep hearing from American politicians that America is the greatest democracy in history, the greatest democracy on earth, if not the universe.

So what is it?

3 minutes ago, Presto said:

I'm confused now. By you. I keep hearing from American politicians that America is the greatest democracy in history, the greatest democracy on earth, if not the universe.

So what is it?

Really? I've never heard that, do you have a source? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Presto said:

So what is it?

It's a Democracy and a Republic.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, charleskerins said:

It's a Democracy and a Republic.  

My question was: why put so much power in the hands of one person, either the Speaker of the House, or the majority leader of the Senate.

I was hoping that an American could explain it, but more than those positions are third in line from the president, and 'gridlock is good' I haven't seen.

Edited by Presto

58 minutes ago, Presto said:

My question was: why put so much power in the hands of one person, either the Speaker of the House, or the majority leader of the Senate.

I was hoping that an American could explain it, but more than those positions are third in line from the president, and 'gridlock is good' I haven't seen.

They really can't do anything without the support of a majority of congress. 

15 hours ago, Presto said:

It's because  almost all bills originate in the House   and the speaker is in charge of what bills come up and who is on the committees .  the Speaker position is far more powerful than the Senate Majority leader.    Sam Rayburn ,Henry Clay ,Joe Cannon.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, charleskerins said:

It's because  almost all bills originate in the House   and the speaker is in charge of what bills come up and who is on the committees .  the Speaker position is far more powerful than the Senate Majority leader.    Sam Rayburn ,Henry Clay ,Joe Cannon.

Where I come from legislation, or resolutions, or motions, can be brought to a vote if a third of the members of the Chamber agree to a vote. Then of course anyone can express their opinion, in public.

Simple and effective.

Edited by Presto
  • Haha 1

Just now, Presto said:

Where I come from legislation, or resolutions, or motions, can be brought to a vote if a third of the members of the Chamber agree to a vote.

Simple and effective.

it's designed not to be effective    "factions"  James Madison .  The majority of Americans are controlled by a minority of Americans if you look at congressional representation.

3 minutes ago, Presto said:

Where I come from legislation, or resolutions, or motions, can be brought to a vote if a third of the members of the Chamber agree to a vote. Then of course anyone can express their opinion, in public.

Simple and effective.

Yeah, mob rule is great if you're part of the mob. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

it's designed not to be effective    "factions"  James Madison .  The majority of Americans are controlled by a minority of Americans if you look at congressional representation.

I agree.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, mob rule is great if you're part of the mob. 

Mob rule was Jan 6 2021, at the Capitol. You're truly clueless, aren't you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1