Discord in Discussion: Minimum Wage Hike Sparks Intense Debate

8222596151_bc7eb1e66d_b.jpg

In a day packed with intense negotiations, Thailand's Labour Minister Pipat Ratchakitprakarn found himself navigating the tumultuous waters of policy reform as stakeholders put forward their conflicting views regarding a proposed minimum wage increase. The talks come ahead of a crucial tripartite committee meeting, set for tomorrow, where the final decisions will be made.

The first delegation to meet with the minister today were representatives from the Thai Labour Solidarity Confederation and the State Enterprises Workers' Relations Confederation. Their morning discussion centred on the government's decision last month to up the daily minimum wage to 400 baht, a change that would primarily affect upscale hotels and resorts in ten provinces, effective from October.

However, the representatives voiced their concern over the rising cost of living across the nation. They argued this warrants a similar nationwide hike in the minimum wage. In response, Minister Pipat explained that a nationwide increase to 400 baht may not be practically feasible. Despite this, he promised to push for as high an increase as possible, revealing a government plan to raise the daily minimum wage to 600 baht by 2027.

As the clock struck ten, the minister found himself sitting across from representatives of the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI), the Board of Trade of Thailand, and various small to medium-sized enterprises. This group passionately opposed the impending minimum wage hike. Spearheading their argument, FTI Vice President Suchart Chantaranakaracha voiced concerns that a 400-baht rate across the country would be an unaffordable burden for employers, chiefly given the country's struggling export sector.

Dismissive of the idea of tax incentives as a feasible solution, Suchart warned that a nationwide increase in wages of the proposed magnitude could force many enterprises into damaging losses.

Tomorrow's meeting will see the tripartite wage committee, comprised of government, employee, and employer delegates, wrestle with these differing standpoints, in a bid to reach a resolution over national minimum wage levels.

File photo for reference only. Courtesy of Google

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-13

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Always amazing how the rich have money to siphon off to tax havens, but suddenly become poor when it is about giving working class people a living wage 

Always amazing how those that do not run a business seem to assume that all employers are rich.

I pay myself the minimum salary that I need in order to get a legal work permit.

I do not siphon money off and I do not have a 'tax haven'.

I pay all my taxes and I also pay those of the staff.

There are lots of employers similar to me.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Always amazing how the rich have money to siphon off to tax havens, but suddenly become poor when it is about giving working class people a living wage 

That's How they get Rich keeping the money for themself.

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

In a day packed with intense negotiations, Thailand's Labour Minister Pipat Ratchakitprakarn found himself navigating the tumultuous waters of policy reform as stakeholders put forward their conflicting views regarding a proposed minimum wage increase. The talks come ahead of a crucial tripartite committee meeting, set for tomorrow, where the final decisions will be made

Long gone are his lazy, hazy days as head of tourism... I bet he misses those trips away and long lunch breaks.

17 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Always amazing how those that do not run a business seem to assume that all employers are rich.

I pay myself the minimum salary that I need in order to get a legal work permit.

I do not siphon money off and I do not have a 'tax haven'.

I pay all my taxes and I also pay those of the staff.

There are lots of employers similar to me.

All commendable but in the minority.