Michael Cohen Takes Center Stage in Trump's Hush Money Trial

11 hours ago, Yagoda said:

So the big question for next week. Will Costello testify? 

No, the big question is whether the judge lets Brad Smith testify. He won't. 

Costello can't help Trump, no reason to call him. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Well he did, they did, and now Bragg has a problem. Suborning perjury is now in play.

I notice that the echo chamber is quiet. Wonder how many psyches are struggling LOL

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

No, the big question is whether the judge lets Brad Smith testify. He won't. 

That didn't age well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, stevenl said:

That didn't age well.

Nor is the prosecution's case. Notice how quiet it is in the echo chamber.

Almost time for this topic to die out anyway, Cohen is finished.

Costello goes on again tomorrow. Now that we know that Bragg knew and didnt prosecute Cohen for a felony wow.

Trump said today NY needs to be fixed. Now the stakes get high and the jJudge knows it. The case is already into about 9 reversible errors so:

1. Trump convicted, re-elected, reversed on appeal, special prosecutor to investigate all the violations of Federal Law, probably to include RICO based on civil rights violations,  lawyer up Bragg, Fanny and Letitia, and dont think they wont squeal to save their skins.

2. Trump aquitted, relected, special prosecutor appointed to investigate all the violations of Federal Law, probably to include RICO based on civil rights violations, lawyer up Bragg, Fanny and Letitia, and dont think they wont squeal to save their skins.

3. Trump convicted defeated but reversed on appeal. they skate.

Place your bets. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Oh, did Smith testify, Costello help Trump of both? 

Smith will not testify. Judge Merchan said -- and I will paraphrase -- that if Smith testified, then the Prosecution would call their expert witness. Merchan said his opinion would be the third opinion and it will thus be the only opinion.

As to whether defense can get the FEC regs into their closing, or can reply if the Prosecutioin does, I don't know.

Edited by jerrymahoney

There is something about the prosecution star witness admitting UNDER OATH that he is a thief and stole tens of thousands of dollars from his boss that makes this whole thing seem farcical. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Oh, did Smith testify, Costello help Trump of both? 

Nothing to do with my post. You claimed there was no reason to call Costello, defense disagreed with you.

No reason to deflect, just say 'yes,, my guess was wrong;.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

There is something about the prosecution star witness admitting UNDER OATH that he is a thief and stole tens of thousands of dollars from his boss that makes this whole thing seem farcical. 

This judge has no time for anything but facts and clearly trust the legal system.

https://www.sheppnews.com.au/world/trump-lawyers-ask-judge-to-dismiss-hush-money-trial/

"You said that his lies are irrefutable, but do you think he's going to fool 12 New Yorkers?" Merchan asked Trump lawyer Todd Blanche, who had sought the dismissal.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

This judge has no time for anything but facts and clearly trust the legal system.

https://www.sheppnews.com.au/world/trump-lawyers-ask-judge-to-dismiss-hush-money-trial/

"You said that his lies are irrefutable, but do you think he's going to fool 12 New Yorkers?" Merchan asked Trump lawyer Todd Blanche, who had sought the dismissal.

The worry is that the 12 New Yorkers had made up their minds before the trial started. Possibly the defence is doing this purely for the appeal.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

The worry is that the 12 New Yorkers had made up their minds before the trial started. Possibly the defence is doing this purely for the appeal.

That is really sad you of all people are claiming rigged, even without the trial finished!

I thought better of you in the past.

Edited by earlinclaifornia
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Ever heard of a cooperating witness getting immunity?

No?

Published 12:00 AM EDT, Mon May 20, 2024

But if jurors think Cohen lied about the content of the call with Schiller and about whether he spoke to Trump, they could begin to doubt other aspects of his testimony. “That is exactly what the judge will instruct the jury: ‘If you find anything that a witness said to be untrue, to be incredible, to be a lie, feel free to disregard the entirety of that witness’s testimony,’” Randy Zelin, a trial attorney and adjunct professor at Cornell Law School, said on “CNN News Central” on Friday.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/05/20/politics/michael-cohen-testimony-trump-trial/index.html

24 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Published 12:00 AM EDT, Mon May 20, 2024

But if jurors think Cohen lied about the content of the call with Schiller and about whether he spoke to Trump, they could begin to doubt other aspects of his testimony. “That is exactly what the judge will instruct the jury: ‘If you find anything that a witness said to be untrue, to be incredible, to be a lie, feel free to disregard the entirety of that witness’s testimony,’” Randy Zelin, a trial attorney and adjunct professor at Cornell Law School, said on “CNN News Central” on Friday.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/05/20/politics/michael-cohen-testimony-trump-trial/index.html

Except when other witnesses and documents corroborate Cohen's testimony.

Reports are that the Prosecution cleaned up Cohen's mistake on Monday.

• Haha 1

Just now, Danderman123 said:

Except when other witnesses and documents corroborate Cohen's testimony.

Reports are that the Prosecution cleaned up Cohen's mistake on Monday.

Fine  Judge will be sure to say except.

1 hour ago, earlinclaifornia said:

That is really sad you of all people are claiming rigged, even without the trial finished!

I thought better of you in the past.

Didn't say I believed it. I said "the worry is"....

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Fine  Judge will be sure to say except.

I am talking about how normal people evaluate witnesses. If Cohen's allegations are corroborated by other witnesses and documents, the jurors won't simply dismiss them as lies.

A lot of cooperating witnesses have convictions for perjury and other crimes. So, prosecutors have to corroborate their testimony. It's very common.

2 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I am talking about how normal people evaluate witnesses. If Cohen's allegations are corroborated by other witnesses and documents, the jurors won't simply dismiss them as lies.

A lot of cooperating witnesses have convictions for perjury and other crimes. So, prosecutors have to corroborate their testimony. It's very common.

That was a verbatim quote from a trial attorney and adjunct law professor on CNN. If you feel the need to qualify his remarks, up to you. But I don't have to respond.

4 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

I do think that reading a jury during the trial can be telling. Before today's testimony from a person present:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4viUTggGGA

Oh I know, it's part of the game. An extension of the whole jury selection procedure at the beginning of the trial. Lots of blogs and reports on the topic. Everyone is suddenly psychic...

On 5/14/2024 at 1:10 PM, Purdey said:

Forgive me if I misunderstood, but I thought the charges were not about paying women to keep quiet but from where the money was illegally diverted. 

Nope.

The trial is about the fraud Trump committed when he falsely reported the payment to Daniels  on his business  records.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

James Comey has a worthy opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9QEUedVhRw

I agree with Comey.

And like Comey, I am surprised how good a job the prosecution has done, and how bad Trump's defense has been.

My prediction: when and if Trump is tried for the other indictments, Todd Blanche won't be his lead attorney.

• Haha 1

"Clear the courtroom" is never good for the Defense when their witness tries to f**k with the judge.

This Costello loser maybe sealed the case for the Prosecution.

At this point, unless there is one crazy juror, Trump is done.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Yagoda said:

Nor is the prosecution's case. Notice how quiet it is in the echo chamber.

Almost time for this topic to die out anyway, Cohen is finished.

Costello goes on again tomorrow. Now that we know that Bragg knew and didnt prosecute Cohen for a felony wow.

Trump said today NY needs to be fixed. Now the stakes get high and the jJudge knows it. The case is already into about 9 reversible errors so:

1. Trump convicted, re-elected, reversed on appeal, special prosecutor to investigate all the violations of Federal Law, probably to include RICO based on civil rights violations,  lawyer up Bragg, Fanny and Letitia, and dont think they wont squeal to save their skins.

2. Trump aquitted, relected, special prosecutor appointed to investigate all the violations of Federal Law, probably to include RICO based on civil rights violations, lawyer up Bragg, Fanny and Letitia, and dont think they wont squeal to save their skins.

3. Trump convicted defeated but reversed on appeal. they skate.

Place your bets. 

I am actually agreeing with you.

I think Trump will get relief from a Court of Appeals for all of his convictions and fines.

19 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I am actually agreeing with you.

I think Trump will get relief from a Court of Appeals for all of his convictions and fines.

So then you agree his trials are a farce.

You need to watch CNN more

• Like 1