What are the differences between Sativa and Indica strains of cannabis?

Supposedly, and I am no expert with weed, indica strains create more calming effects, such as may be needed to help sleep or relieve pain, etc.  Sativa supposedly increases physical and brain activity helping with creativity while not causing the sleepiness of indica.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Sativa cannabis is native to warmer, tropical climates and grows naturally in Thailand, Vietnam, Colombia, Mexico and even parts of Africa.
In order to cope with long, hot and humid summers, Sativa plants adapt and grow taller, have longer branches and produce looser buds and narrower leaves

Indica plants, on the other hand, come from cooler, drier, and more mountainous regions like Nepal, India, and other nearby regions where summers are cooler and shorter. To cope with these conditions, Cannabis indica developed shorter flowering times and denser foliage and buds.
Thanks to their shorter stature and shorter flowering phase, Indica plants are ideal for growing indoors

Source: (on the right corner of the screen change the language)

https://www.royalqueenseeds.gr/blog-poia-einai-i-diafora-metaxy-tis-kannavis-sativa-kai-tis-kannavis-indica-n49

Indica-vs-Sativa-D-EN_1.webp

Edited by Paris333
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Peabody said:

I believe that these are morphological descriptors. In either group, early harvest = more heady, later/amber trichs = more locky.

This. Along with terpenes will determine high. 

Certain terps are more commonly found in each category saliva  or indica.

The actual saliva indica thing is just for the different type of plant. Fan leaves. Tall vs short. Region of origin.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It is better to classify cannabis into 4 groups. Gas. Earth. Flower. Fruit.

Inside those groups you will find many common terps that produce those indica or saliva high. Fruit and flower generally are what would be considered saliva strains. Gas and earth indica. In fhe end its the terps that determine the kind of high you will have. 

https://www.canniseur.com/science-medicine/the-truth-about-terps/

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

There's only one species: Cannabis Sativa L (Linnaeus) - on scientifically proven molecular level.

The first description of the plant species Cannabis Sativa L. was made by Carolus Linnaeus in 1753, who was familiar with the hemp plants that were cultivated in Europe [1]. A few years later, in 1785 Jean-Baptiste Lamarck described what he believed to be another species of the genus Cannabis, with plants from India, which he called Cannabis indica [1]. The main difference between the C. sativa plants described by Linnaeus and by Lamarck at that time, responds to the differences between hemp and marijuana

Edited by sumaterani
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2024 at 10:45 AM, AgMech Cowboy said:

Interesting. Thanks for the question and the answers. My son started smoke last year and it' killing me, but I'm trying to learn about it (and to accept it).

Why you want to take drugs??? Strange 😳

• Confused 1

ganja will teach you everything - Gan  comes from sanskrit , candle or light.....Ja means to be born.....that from which light (or understanding) is born..

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

You get better hashish with indica

On 5/18/2024 at 1:33 PM, DTL2014 said:

ganja will teach you everything - Gan  comes from sanskrit , candle or light.....Ja means to be born.....that from which light (or understanding) is born..

Interesting. What has ganja taught you?

On 5/18/2024 at 9:55 AM, newbee2022 said:

Why always act as if it's very harmful never saw anyone crying over how bad alcohol is and how people shouldn't drink it but no when it comes to weed they all will be like DRUGS DRUGS even though stoners are way calmer when they are high compared to a drank person 🤣

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Conan The Barbarian said:

Why always act as if it's very harmful never saw anyone crying over how bad alcohol is and how people shouldn't drink it but no when it comes to weed they all will be like DRUGS DRUGS even though stoners are way calmer when they are high compared to a drank person 🤣

At least YOU should stop your addiction.🙏

Btw. This thread is about Cannabis but not alcohol 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

At least YOU should stop your addiction.🙏

Btw. This thread is about Cannabis but not alcohol 

Well addiction can be about anything and yes I am aware of it but just raising the concern same with you why everyone have issue with cannabis and not alcohol even if that's bad for the health 

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, Conan The Barbarian said:

Well addiction can be about anything and yes I am aware of it but just raising the concern same with you why everyone have issue with cannabis and not alcohol even if that's bad for the health 

Again you try to divert away from Cannabis.

And....if you're aware what Cannabis is doing in your body....then you should stop it 🙏

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Again you try to divert away from Cannabis.

And....if you're aware what Cannabis is doing in your body....then you should stop it 🙏

Again I know the context but it's just a concern you are raising I am doing the same here also I don't think either alcohol or weed does good so why just have restrictions on weed only?

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Conan The Barbarian said:

Again I know the context but it's just a concern you are raising I am doing the same here also I don't think either alcohol or weed does good so why just have restrictions on weed only?

In school I would say: you missed the point🙏

• Sad 1

On 5/18/2024 at 9:55 AM, newbee2022 said:

I think you misunderstood my statement. I don't want to do drugs, and I'd love to be able to get my son to quit smoking ganja. But, when I tried to dissuade him he flew off in angry rage.  I don't like, but his Mother's Father smoked back in the 80's before it was criminalized and she's okay with it.  It does me no good to rail against his usage. He's 21. I just want to understand things about the weed and hopefully can maintain some influence in his life.

2 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I think you misunderstood my statement. I don't want to do drugs, and I'd love to be able to get my son to quit smoking ganja. But, when I tried to dissuade him he flew off in angry rage.  I don't like, but his Mother's Father smoked back in the 80's before it was criminalized and she's okay with it.  It does me no good to rail against his usage. He's 21. I just want to understand things about the weed and hopefully can maintain some influence in his life.

Hahaha, well, with 21 he's more or less a dead loss. (Joking only). Try your best. I didn't succeed with my son either.😂