Is it easy to get around Thailand without speaking Thai?

Thai language skills really helps, but you can get around with not that much difficulty if you don't have Thai language skills.

The closer you travel to the Thai boarders the more you need Thai or Lao. 🙂

• Agree 1

Yes, it is easy to get around.

But, you will require some means of transportation.

Concerning communicating with people here in the LOS, a smile, even a secret smile, goes a long way.

If you wish to remain here in the LOS, then you would be best advised to quickly enroll in a Thai language course.

The course should cover written and spoken Thai from the very beginning.

If on a short visit, buy an expensive/fast mobile phone device.

Load the phone with the LINE app.

Google Translate is helpful.

And make sure your GPS apps are working.

Good social skills, awareness, patience and good at using travel apps and internet for local information while travelling is all you need. Or a personal guide 😀

I understand some thai after many years, but choosed not to speak, or learn to speak, except a few limited basic words to get around. 

One rule or common sense just to keep yourself out of trouble or save you for some frustration, if you find a gf, find someone you can communicate with. 

• Like 1

tourist areas will have english speakers...google translate app is a fav of thais...otherwise.smile and be polite and you will go far..i speak survival thai from memory and learned basic words and numbers....my thai friend thinks im fluent....lol

sawasdee krup   hello

kop khun krup  thank u

tao rai  how much

starter kit for ya

google translate app will even say it for u and helpful indeed

• Love It 1

15 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes, it is easy to get around.

But, you will require some means of transportation.

Concerning communicating with people here in the LOS, a smile, even a secret smile, goes a long way.

If you wish to remain here in the LOS, then you would be best advised to quickly enroll in a Thai language course.

The course should cover written and spoken Thai from the very beginning.

If on a short visit, buy an expensive/fast mobile phone device.

Load the phone with the LINE app.

Google Translate is helpful.

And make sure your GPS apps are working.

What's a 'secret smile'?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Thai language skills really helps, but you can get around with not that much difficulty if you don't have Thai language skills.

The closer you travel to the Thai boarders the more you need Thai or Lao. 🙂

in lao all u need to say is sabaidee and you love beer lao!!!   try it!..works for me!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Good social skills, awareness, patience and good at using travel apps and internet for local information while travelling is all you need. Or a personal guide 😀

I understand some thai after many years, but choosed not to speak, or learn to speak, except a few limited basic words to get around. 

One rule or common sense just to keep yourself out of trouble or save you for some frustration, if you find a gf, find someone you can communicate with. 

agreed..a thai friend is invaluable..a lady i just met even picked me up at airport without me even asking!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

agreed..a thai friend is invaluable..a lady i just met even picked me up at airport without me even asking!

In the beginning when I trawling alone,  I occasionally found a good lady who I communicated well with, who also happened to be free to travel on short notice, and also with no strings attached. Great experience to learn about them and their life. Also who provided me with appartment, transport, as well who was experienced travelling with foreigners. 

Be it freelancers or bar girls, some of them is easy going and happy to travel with you. Tried to book separate rooms in the beginning, but I learned they where either concerned I spent to much money, or the most common reason, afraid of ghosts.

One obvious rule, you do not ask the wildest party girls if you are not up for heavy drinking and drama.

The girls I travelled with for longer time, be it weeks, or a month, did not drink, or very little, exercised, swimming, climbing, scuba, hiking, kayaking, so choose carefully if you choose to go on the roads with girls. 

Neer had one bad experience, only good memories. Just remember to give them  fair amount money for their parents,,,,,,,,,,

Food, clothes, travel, is not salery, so be fair. 

Edited by Hummin

If you are obviously a tourist, then (almost) everything will be more expensive.

If you accept that, fine.

Don't try to complain in a foreign language in Thailand that this is not fair.

After learning "thank you" one of first things which I learned were numbers. There are not too many of them and it shouldn't take time to learn them - if you want to learn them. Then learn "how much?" and a few phrases like that. If you did that, then you are obviously not the easy target no-idea-tourist anymore. If you ask what it cost in Thai then you will most likely get better prices.

And whatever you do, stay cool. Never swear, behave.

And if you have any trouble with the police use the first offer to pay whatever they want. Otherwise, it will only get more and more expensive.

Enjoy! 

I know foreigners who have lived here for years without speaking a word of Thai. Usually, they have acquired a companion of either sex who acts as their communication conduit.

Tourists, different story. Just carry a good translator. Up to you how much Thai you want to learn.

Most professional Thais can speak some English.

I decided to become reasonably competent in Thai. If I was going to live here long-term, I thought it would make life easier. It has.