US Teen with Heart Condition Dies After Spicy Tortilla Chip Challenge

image.png

Harris Wolobah, a 10th-grade student from Worcester, Massachusetts, died on September 1, 2023, after participating in the "One Chip Challenge," a social media trend involving consuming a highly spicy tortilla chip. The challenge, promoted by Paqui, a Texas-based subsidiary of the Hershey Co, involves eating a single chip coated with an intense chile pepper extract.

The autopsy revealed that Harris Wolobah died of cardiopulmonary arrest triggered by the ingestion of food with a high capsaicin concentration. Capsaicin is the active component in chile peppers that gives them their heat. The autopsy also noted Harris had pre-existing heart conditions, including cardiomegaly (an enlarged heart) and a congenital defect called myocardial bridging of the left anterior descending coronary artery. This condition can lead to abnormal blood flow and potentially severe heart arrhythmias when the heart is under significant stress, such as from ingesting large amounts of capsaicin.

Medical experts explained that while Harris's heart defect made him particularly vulnerable, ingesting large amounts of capsaicin can pose serious risks even to those without underlying heart conditions. Dr. James Udelson, Chief of Cardiology at Tufts Medical Center, and Dr. Syed Haider, a cardiologist at MedStar Washington Hospital Center, both emphasized that significant capsaicin intake can increase heart activity, potentially leading to ischemia (reduced blood flow) and severe arrhythmias.

The Paqui chip involved in the challenge is sold individually in a coffin-shaped box with clear warnings about its intense heat and potential risks. Despite warnings that the chip was intended for adults and not for those sensitive to spicy foods or with underlying health conditions, children have easily obtained the product, leading to numerous reports of illness. In response to Harris's death and other incidents, Paqui has discontinued the product and worked with retailers to remove it from shelves.

The challenge, which gained popularity through social media, has led to various adverse health events among teenagers across the United States. This phenomenon is part of a larger trend of extreme spicy food challenges driven by the quest for internet fame. Such challenges have prompted warnings from poison control centers and health authorities about the potential for severe allergic reactions, breathing difficulties, irregular heartbeats, heart attacks, and strokes.

Harris Wolobah's tragic death underscores the dangers of extreme spicy food challenges and highlights the need for increased awareness and caution regarding such viral trends. Authorities and health professionals continue to warn against the consumption of excessively spicy foods, especially for individuals with underlying health conditions.

Credit: The Guardian 2024-05-18

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

Oh, that's really sad.

Seems like a normal thing for a teen to try.

I'm a chile head myself but once went for a suicide level Korean dish (I was made to sign a legal waiver) and actually did get sick (stomach pain) from it. So there are limits even for chile heads.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I have been cautious about food all my life, as I have always had a sensitive stomache.

Since my 40s I have not been able to eat spicy food like I could in my 20s.

Now in my 70s, I do not have any desire to try many types of food that I do not 

eat daily.

13 hours ago, Social Media said:

Harris Wolobah, a 10th-grade student from Worcester, Massachusetts, died on September 1, 2023, after participating in the "One Chip Challenge,

Slow news day (publishing stories 9 months old), or a fresh warning to all the drunks going out today and stopping off for a spicy chilli burger on the way home tonight to impress tonight's lady ?

• Haha 1

On 5/18/2024 at 8:32 AM, Social Media said:

The challenge, which gained popularity through social media, has led to various adverse health events among teenagers across the United States. This phenomenon is part of a larger trend of extreme spicy food challenges driven by the quest for internet fame.

If anyone thought the human race was getting more intelligent that should educate them that it is not.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

happened many months ago

but all classic MSM is copying the same 'thing'

nothing to do with some certain injection that cause young kids to go bye bye?

Edited by john donson
  • Confused 3