Thailand's reversal on cannabis serves as a warning

webfact

1 hour ago, Smilin in Thailand said:

Sounds like these kids already had a problem if they were psychologically addicted to weed.     Could it be a broken home?   An abusive alcoholic father?   Just not fitting in at school?....................................................................

I think some of the problem here is that older generations just don't realise that weed today has changed.  In many cases it a totally different product to what most of us smoked when we were younger.

This perhaps explains it better than I can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnqVDHywW1U

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Researchers found strong evidence of an association between cannabis use disorder and schizophrenia among men and women,

https://nida.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/2023/05/young-men-at-highest-risk-schizophrenia-linked-with-cannabis-use-disorder

1. I nodded (again) on third paragraph:

//People with cannabis use disorder are unable to stop using cannabis despite it causing negative consequences in their lives.//

Exactly the same level of understanding from my previous reply (stopped there), please scroll up.

2. On the 6th paragraph: //To address this research gap, investigators analyzed data from nationwide health registers in Denmark, which included health records data from more than 6.9 million people who were aged 16-49 at some point between 1972 and 2021.//

How to correlate Denmark's 1972 data, while the USA had just only coined the term CUD in 1994?

There must be something missed or needed some explanation here.

3. The first time the term "Cannabis Use Disorder/CUD" mentioned in the footnote: "Compton WM, Grant BF, Colliver JD, Glantz MD, Stinson FS. Prevalence of marijuana use disorders in the United States: 1991–1992 and 2001–2002." before those psychiatrist officialy made it listed in DSM-IV (1994, two years later).

It's a lil bit funny to think by that period of time USA is forefront in war against cannabis, but hey ... NOW some progressive parts of USA has been in recreational mode already.

Lastly from my own experience, the problem with modern Psychiatry is that they have been inventing new mental diseases every year, only to sell drugs and grey therapy to patients. I hardly can say I won't take this journal because it seems they are less reliable than scientific. 

3 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I suppose that the deniers would ague that if you have schizophrenia then you can both enjoy a toke.  :whistling:

It depends on your judgement because when you're an adult seeking for cure, it's your mental health and your drug of choice, we both can agree this must not be enforced by whomever for whatever the reason; but for youngsters there's already law in place must be enforced that they are not allowed to benefit from this plant.

Edited by sumaterani
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

It seems that the adverse effects of higher THC cannabis were being reported on well before the current debate began.  This report is at least 9 years old and its reference to 'Skunk' as a newer, more potent form of the drug suggests that the report's origins may be even older than that.

For those  (in the UK) that don't know, most of the cannabis we smoked many  years ago was Hash - cannabis resin mixed with other substances and usually contains around 6-8% THC. Remember Moroccan Black?. Some wrongly think that Hash is pure cannabis resin - it most certainly is not (that stuff can be obtained by scraping it off the scissors used for trimming weed and would blow your socks off). Only the most serious users smoked weed or bud - the actual ground up flowers of the plant.  It became known in general as Skunk as refered to in the report.  A lot of it actually wasn't 'Skunk' which was in fact a particular strain but 'Skunk' in general, usually had a much higher THC content than Hash - from memory around 15 - 17%.

Just to throw in a more up to date comparison - Stardawg, one of the 'Cali' strains and the one that was the most popular in the UK a couple of years ago, regularly has THC levels of 20 - 25% and I've seen it as high as 27%. Today, although not regularly available (yet), there are strains containing over 30% THC.

The cannabis we all knew and often used, bears no comparison to what's available today - we should bear that in mind when commenting on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_DP4FHzAN0

Just a little addendum to the above, before the more knowledgeable get on my case - I'm fully aware that 'Hash' can be very strong.  The 'Hash' I'm referring to above is that which was commonly available in the UK.

Edited by MangoKorat

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

I think some of the problem here is that older generations just don't realise that weed today has changed.  In many cases it a totally different product to what most of us smoked when we were younger.

This perhaps explains it better than I can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnqVDHywW1U

YouTube comment section is too heavy for a losing mom ...

I stumbled on this link few days ago https://cannactiva.com/en/marijuana-evolution/

On 5/18/2024 at 8:03 AM, webfact said:

cultural and regional differences mean those models aren't easily replicated in Thailand.

'by that they mean the lot in charge at the time didn't plan it at all and this latest u-turn smacks of Thaksin, well known for his idiotic drug wars 

• Agree 1

On 5/18/2024 at 8:03 AM, webfact said:

Thailand’s prime minister, Srettha Thavisin, has called for a dramatic shift in the country's cannabis policy, directing that the plant be classified once more as a narcotic, restricting its use to medical and health purposes.

Highlights the stupidity of the people running this (account) country!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/18/2024 at 2:17 PM, Nick Carter icp said:

Marijuana does indeed have an effect on users mental health and it does cause paranoia , that is a fact and its not myself being ignorant 

Who said that??? Who's paranoid??? I'm not paranoid!!! Maybe it's you???

On 5/18/2024 at 8:39 AM, Tropicalevo said:

And that is the problem.

It was never meant to be for recreational use.

From the lips of Anutin

"Thailand just decriminalized cannabis. But you still can’t smoke joints, minister says"

Does it annoy you when people smoke dope even though its against the law? How long can you hold your breath for??? 

• Haha 1

Yup, marijuana is getting more potent, most likely because growers are convinced it will sell for more money, with the same amount of production overhead.    This happened with alcohol too, and can be easily regulated just like alcohol.    Sales to minors should be understood as a violation.     All of this is just common sense.    But we know the kids are going to get it legal or not,  so then it's up  to parents and friends to step in and help them out.     And while your at it, make sure their alcohol consumption is in check, because that will cause them 1000x more damage than weed.

Has anyone here heard of OxyContin?

Jezuss,  if Big Pharma was put to the same degree of scrutiny that is being focused on weed they'd be bankrupt in a week.     OxyContin is just one of their abortions that the public suffered incredibly from:   lives completely devastated.

I wait for the day when the king pins of Big Pharma, the biggest drug pushers on the planet,  the ones who perfected and instituted the craft, making it part of proper society, are duly prosecuted and sentenced to 100x life sentences (and that would be lenient).

• Agree 1