Phuket Monorail Plan Unveiled to Boost Tourism and Transport

webfact

"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" a song called “Big Yellow Taxi” by Joni Mitchell comes to mind.  Phuket won't be the simple paradise it was, once the "Tourist Money Machine" is completed.  I feel fortunate to have had the chance to enjoy it in its past glory.  Undoubtedly, there will be both pros and cons to the developments ahead.  

19 hours ago, brianthainess said:

hat's all he does do, bang on about Tourism. He doesn't have to live amongst it. 

Every time he comes to Phuket get doesn't get near the traffic problems, beaches or sewer problems.  It's all smooth sailing and Happy Jack smiles when he is here.   He should try staying in a condo in Rawai or Cherng Talay for a week and rent a car to see how it really is.

• Like 1

The possible difficulties or challenges I foresee is. Taxis lost revenue and their ability to influence Decision Makers.  The timelines and completion finish dates are very ambitious.  The cost, where will money come from and is there the ability to add another 30% or more to that price when the contractor complains.  The train bids will change.  The tourists may decide to go elsewhere because of traffic congestion and time wasted going somewhere so tourist dollars funding project could decline.

On 5/18/2024 at 7:17 AM, natway09 said:

Mono rail just do not work well, their life is limited, their size is limited, show mw one successful one after 20 years. ?

How about the BTS? It is amazing system. Monorails are great! 

2 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

How about fixing the damn roads that are full of pot holes, congested and add some red light cameras as well. That would be a start.

And ticket and tow all the people that park in the left hand lane  blocking traffic.   It's so dangerous.

On 5/18/2024 at 12:33 PM, brianthainess said:

And of course all the stations will have elevators for wheelchairs, won't they? I'm sure that's all been budgeted for along with maintenance. :unsure::unsure:

Just one little question WHO will pay for it ?

get ready for the next news headlines..     Airticket surcharges ,,  proposed toll both to get on / off the island

• Confused 1

On 5/18/2024 at 12:33 PM, brianthainess said:

And of course all the stations will have elevators for wheelchairs, won't they? I'm sure that's all been budgeted for along with maintenance. :unsure::unsure:

Yes, just like every single other mass transit line in Thailand - they all have lifts for wheelchair users and for the general public. Every single station on every single line as far as I am aware. Why would this be any different? Have you ever been to Bangkok?

(Yes, the very first BTS lines didn't have them in their original construction but that was 25+ years ago).

Just one little question WHO will pay for it. I'm sure the feasibility study will make a lot of money for many people. 

It'll almost certainly be a PPP, again like every other mass transit line in Thailand. The private sector will pay to build it in exchange for an operating concession for thirty years, Again like every single other mass transit project in Thailand.

I'm not just being negative but a realist. 

Right, of course.

• Haha 1