Marriage Visa from Visa Exempt

Hi there,

Is it possible to apply for Marriage visa from a Visa Exempt stamp entry in passport or do i require first to get a Non-O visa.

If i require Non-O visa how long is required to get from Singapore. From when apply online to receiving reviewed status.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

I'm guessing you're entering to get married and will then deal with the visa situation?  You could find the 'conversion' and extension process a little tight on time - especially if you haven't got a Thai bank account opened yet.

In which case, you could enter exempt, get married then go up to Savannakhet and obtain a single entry Non O based on marriage - no 400,000 or Thai bank account needed for that.  You would then have 90 days in which to get your bank account open and start the 12 month extension process.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

I'm guessing you're entering to get married and will then deal with the visa situation?  You could find the 'conversion' and extension process a little tight on time - especially if you haven't got a Thai bank account opened yet.

In which case, you could enter exempt, get married then go up to Savannakhet and obtain a single entry Non O based on marriage - no 400,000 or Thai bank account needed for that.  You would then have 90 days in which to get your bank account open and start the 12 month extension process.

Don't understand how you assume the OP not yet married.

He even asked about obtaining non O marriage in Singapore.

From a visa exempt entry he could obtain a 30 day extension.

If he does not have a Thai bank account then he could use an agent to assist. Approx 5k

He can even obtain a 60 day extension to visit wife after the 30 day extension. 

He can obtain a non O at local immigration office in Thailand from visa exempt entry and then subsequent 12 month extension.

Some involvement in the thread from OP would be helpful.

On 5/24/2024 at 10:16 PM, cryan said:

Hi there,

Is it possible to apply for Marriage visa from a Visa Exempt stamp entry in passport or do i require first to get a Non-O visa.

If i require Non-O visa how long is required to get from Singapore. From when apply online to receiving reviewed status.

before you can obtain a 1 year extension for being married you will need a non immigrant 'O' visa

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't understand how you assume the OP not yet married.

Because he has not said so and from his general lack of knowledge about the process.  He could be married but even then, getting a single entry Non O from Savannakhet would give hime more time.

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

He even asked about obtaining non O marriage in Singapore.

That does not necessarily mean he's married.

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If he does not have a Thai bank account then he could use an agent to assist. Approx 5k

Some people are not aware that an agent can help with a bank account. Some have an aversion to using them for anything. Access to an agent can be difficult/impossible depending on his Thai location.

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Some involvement in the thread from OP would be helpful.

Agreed, it is difficult to advise on his situation without more details.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

That does not necessarily mean he's married.

Then how could he obtain a non O in Singapore. 

7 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

getting a single entry Non O from Savannakhet would give hime more time.

Doesn't need more time he can have 30 visa exempt entry + 30 extension+ 60 day extension as I outlined. 

8 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Some people are not aware that an agent can help with a bank account.

He is now. I just advised him along with cost. 

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Then how could he obtain a non O in Singapore. 

After marrying in Thailand - which is what I 'presumed' in my first reply.

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Doesn't need more time he can have 30 visa exempt entry + 30 extension+ 60 day extension as I outlined. 

You advised him after my post.  There are several ways that he could obtain an extension - he can choose the one that suits himself. There is no 'one way' for any of what he asks, nothing wrong with giving him options - especially when he doesn't say much about his current status.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

It is always possible that he may not be able to obtain a 12 month extension under any scenario. When I was married I used 12 month Multi Entry Non O's because I was never in the country long enough to go through firstly, waiting until the last 15 days of my stay before applying and then the waiting time for the extension.

On 5/24/2024 at 4:16 PM, cryan said:

He may well have the same problem as he appears to be interested in how long the application process takes.

From the little information he does give, it would appear that he doesn't live in Thailand at the moment. Again, more information is needed before anyone can advise him accurately.

Edited by MangoKorat

On 5/24/2024 at 10:16 PM, cryan said:

Hi there,

To apply for a 1 year permit of stay based on Thai spouse (a permit, not a visa) you must have Non Immigrant status.

If you enter, or have entered Thailand visa exempt, you can extend that stay by a further 30 days + a further 60 days when married.

You can apply to change your status to Non Immigrant (Non O) at your local Immigration office, rather than a Thai Embassy. VE-TV to Non O Spouse.pdf 

Requires 400K THB in a Thai bank account on the day of application for Non O, then for 2 months prior to applying for the 1 year permit of stay extension.

11 hours ago, Liquorice said:

You can apply to change your status to Non Immigrant (Non O) at your local Immigration office, rather than a Thai Embassy. VE-TV to Non O Spouse.pdf 

Thanks for posting that - I've been looking for it for ages.  I believe there is a list of documents and police orders somewhere on here but when I search for it, I can never find it. Do you have a link? I'm sure that either you or Dr Jack posted it previoulsy - I failed to copy the link on that occasion.

Rather than start a new topic and as replies to this may be of interest to the OP, can I ask:

Am I correct in saying that the first application for a 12 month extension based on marriage must be made using the money in the bank method? Then, for someone wishing to use the income method - collect evidence of that income over the next 12 months?

I could be missing something here but would that not render the applicant liable for an assessable income of 880,000 Thai baht in that 12 months?

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Not sure what you are after.

https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/th/downloads/ 

On that link you will find forms 

Think the TM87 is #19.

Form to change from visa exempt to non O

No, during discussions on another thread, someone posted a link to a list, I thought it was on here.......the list contained various regulations, police orders etc.

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

Thanks for posting that - I've been looking for it for ages.  I believe there is a list of documents and police orders somewhere on here but when I search for it, I can never find it. Do you have a link? I'm sure that either you or Dr Jack posted it previoulsy - I failed to copy the link on that occasion.

Perhaps this https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/issuing-and-changing-type-of-visa/ where you can download the PDF's such as the one I posted.

You can also download Laws, regulations and Immigration orders from here:

55 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Rather than start a new topic and as replies to this may be of interest to the OP, can I ask:

Am I correct in saying that the first application for a 12 month extension based on marriage must be made using the money in the bank method? Then, for someone wishing to use the income method - collect evidence of that income over the next 12 months?

I could be missing something here but would that not render the applicant liable for an assessable income of 880,000 Thai baht in that 12 months?

You would be incorrect.

The original requirement for a 1 year extension of stay based on Thai spouse was either;
1. 400K THB in a Thai bank account for 2 months prior to submitting the application, or,
2. Proof of income of 40K THB per month, which usually required an Embassy Income letter.
327-2557 (2014) - Criteria for extension ENG.pdf 

Section 2.18

When the UK, US and AU discontinued the Embassy Income letters, Thai Immigration issued an update and amendment to order 138/2557 (documents) section 2.18 (Thai spouse) and section 2.22 (retirement) allowing income to also be proved by way of monthly overseas transfers to a Thai bank account.  Amend 138-2557 (2018 ) clause 2.18-2.22 for Thai bank income ENG.pdf 

6 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

When the UK, US and AU discontinued the Embassy Income letters, Thai Immigration issued an update and amendment to order 138/2557 (documents) section 2.18 (Thai spouse) and section 2.22 (retirement) allowing income to also be proved by way of monthly overseas transfers to a Thai bank account.  Amend 138-2557 (2018 ) clause 2.18-2.22 for Thai bank income ENG.pdf 

And that disagrees with what I've said how? As far as I can see the only exception to providing less than 12 months proof of income is for retirement purposes.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

And that disagrees with what I've said how?

What!

I posted Immigration orders, which you obviously haven't had time to open and read before replying.

5 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

As far as I can see the only exception to providing less than 12 months proof of income is for retirement purposes.

And where do you see that?

Posted (edited)

The only thing I disagreed with that you posted was this;

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

For the first and subsequent extensions of stay based on Thai spouse, you can use the 'funds' method, or the 'income' method.

Only the combination method is not acceptable for 1 year extensions based on Thai spouse.

Edited by Liquorice

11 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

What!

I posted Immigration orders, which you obviously haven't had time to open and read before replying.

And where do you see that?

I have started a thread on this subject - perhaps you would like to comment there.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1