Where do foreigners fit in the Thai hierarchy?

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

....you are hanging around in bars 'where the dogs of society howl'... 

I prefer the term saloon. 

I'm old skool.

bob.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, bob smith said:

....you can thank all the bar-stool philosophers for that false perception.

The stuff they come out with when they have had a drink beggars belief.

After 37 years I have heard them all 🙄

Edited by Purdey
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Which one is you, bob ?

Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 09.35.18.png

funny.

fancy coming to the saloon with me one day?

i'll get the first round in!

don't bring onemorefarang though.

bob.

• Haha 2

Just now, Random8 said:

Pet peeve:  Farangs who consider themselves "better" because of the perceived social status of their Thai wife.  Anytime someone wants to tell me (unsolicited and apropos of nothing) what education or occupation their wife has or better yet, how Chinese they are, I think to myself "...dickhead".

And when someone mentions such tosh as above...  I think to myself they have shacked up with the first bit of fluff they met in a bar and now have a chip on their shoulder 'cos they are treated like dogs !!!....     :giggle:

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Random8 said:

Pet peeve:  Farangs who consider themselves "better" because of the perceived social status of their Thai wife.  Anytime someone wants to tell me (unsolicited and apropos of nothing) what education or occupation their wife has or better yet, how Chinese they are, I think to myself "...dickhead".

....jealous much?

bob.

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

And when someone mentions such tosh as above...  I think to myself they have shacked up with the first bit of fluff they met in a bar and now have a chip on their shoulder 'cos they are treated like dogs !!!....     :giggle:

I don't recall you mentioning anything about your wife.  My comment wasn't aimed at you, but apparently I hit a nerve.

You already know what I'm thinking...

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, bob smith said:

....jealous much?

bob.

Did I hit a nerve with you as well?  Ouch.  I don't recall reading anything about your wife, but if the shoe fits...

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Below the soi dogs, 

I was told one week after I arrived by and old Asia hand not to forget that I was not the flea on the dogs back
but the flea on the flea on the dogs back ! 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Random8 said:

Did I hit a nerve with you as well?  Ouch.  I don't recall reading anything about your wife, but if the shoe fits...

jesus.

another bar-stool wash out.

they are 10 a penny out here.

never mind.

a friend of mine has no shame either.

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, bob smith said:

jesus.

another bar girl wash out.

they are 10 a penny out here.

never mind.

a friend of mine has no shame either.

bob.

If you think a Farang has the same social status as his wife, then you answered your own question.

Why pose the question?  Why start the thread?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Random8 said:

If you think a Farang has the same social status as his wife, then you answered your own question.

Why pose the question?  Why start the thread?

how many lady drinks you bought today lad?

Loser with a capital L.

bob.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Once our 'position' on that socio-totem pole cab be established we are 'thought of' accordingly, but generally treated politely. 

But the problem with our position is that our behavior is not consistent in the eye of many Thais.

I.e. we might have a good job in a reputable company and make a lot of money. But then, Thais may see us in shorts and a cheap t-shirt, no decent designer clothes like they would expect from a reputable manager.

And then maybe they see us being nice to the service people, even the Burmese, and even if they are dark brown. That is obviously confusing for many Thais.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But the problem with our position is that our behavior is not consistent in the eye of many Thais.

I.e. we might have a good job in a reputable company and make a lot of money. But then, Thais may see us in shorts and a cheap t-shirt, no decent designer clothes like they would expect from a reputable manager.

And then maybe they see us being nice to the service people, even the Burmese, and even if they are dark brown. That is obviously confusing for many Thais.

perhaps the Thai's should look inward then?

Maybe they shouldn't be so quick to judge a book by it's cover?

bob.

Just now, Random8 said:

I don't drink alcohol, so I don't go to the bars.

I am a stranger on the internet.  You are free to imagine anything you like.  Whatever heals your bruised ego.

You're welcome.

do one fella, before you make yourself look like a complete T!t.

bob.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, bob smith said:

funny.

fancy coming to the saloon with me one day?

i'll get the first round in!

don't bring onemorefarang though.

bob.

I'd be too concerned that you'd run off with my Bar Girl and take her to Koh-Chang while I took a quick nap... :giggle:

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Random8 said:
36 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don't recall you mentioning anything about your wife.  My comment wasn't aimed at you, but apparently I hit a nerve.

You already know what I'm thinking...

& I never thought you were referring to my situation....  my response based solely on the ridiculous flaws in your comment...     the 'nerve' you struck, was one of a lack of tolerance for such comments.

• Sad 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

& I never thought you were referring to my situation....  my response based solely on the ridiculous flaws in your comment...     the 'nerve' you struck, was one of a lack of tolerance for such comments.

Weak retort.  I expected as much.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Only those lacking in critical thought...  

Its also possible not to look like a slob in shorts and t-shirt... 

Army print (DPM) cargo shorts and vest or worn out t-shirt are never going to cut it.

All the Thai's I know treat the 'service people' (their maids etc) extremely well.

4 minutes ago, Random8 said:

Weak retort.  I expected as much.

Seems you are looking for an argument...     I found your comment stupid, apologies if that upsets your sensitivities and you now want to enter forum sparing match...      Its not going to happen, you'll need to up your game if you want engagement.

22 minutes ago, bob smith said:

perhaps the Thai's should look inward then?

Maybe they shouldn't be so quick to judge a book by it's cover?

bob.

Perhaps you should evolve your game bob...    Instead of needing all Thai's not to judge you based on the way you act, interact, behave and appear....     

....  improve the manner in which you act, interact, behave and appear....  

Its easier to play their game, than it is to have everyone else around you play yours.

That doesn't mean you have to become a conformist weakling... but showing awareness for and being respectful of your surroundings goes a long way.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That doesn't mean you have to become a conformist weakling... but showing awareness for and being respectful of your surroundings goes a long way.

How do you get along with the Thai's?

bob.

6 hours ago, bob smith said:

Where would I fit into the thai hierarchy?

It intrigues me as to why you feel you need to know your place? 

5 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

basically like a society built around protecting man-babies ego. It's pathetic honestly.

and yet they keep showing up at his rallies! 🙂   agreed..pathetic!....