5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

10 minutes ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

Based on what? There's nothing to suggest a DTV holder won't be able to secure a certificate of residency through immigration (although some embassies still issue these) or more importantly given what I just stated, obtain a drivers license renewal. 

Indeed. I got a residency certificate and converted my DL (with an IDP) to a Thai one on a visa-exempt stamp. That was in Chiang Mai.

I think as long as the stamp has over 30 days validity left they'll have no issues with the residency certificate. And in DLT they couldn't care less.

• Agree 1

I'm Currently on the Non-O Thai Spouse visa, but I meet the eligibility for the DTV as well.  Has anyone previously on the Non-O had success applying for the DTV?

Or are they requiring foreigners with Thai spouses to stay on the Non-O. 

Thanks!

18 hours ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

Why? Have you ever heard of an immigrant working in the west being replaced by a local down the line?

Nope, immigrants stay forever, bring their families and eventually push us natives out of a job. 

Not saying that's how Thailand should do it, but this notion that an expat should only be able to work here for a limited period and then be replaced by locals is pretty sad. You wouldn't be able to have a future here. Wouldn't be able to have a family unless you brought them all to your country.

What you outlined happening in the West is why foreigners should not be able to get permanent-jobs in foreign countries.  Why should the people of a nation support a govt - giving that govt power to dictate laws they must "obey," etc - when that govt does not work exclusively for THEIR interests?

One can always make money outside Thailand, and spend most/all of one's time here - have a family here, etc.  As long as a foreigner is bringing money into Thailand to spend, the locals benefit, so it's fine.  In cases of a rare-skill, then an exception can be made, temporarily.

• Thumbs Up 1

Did my DTV application a few weeks ago. They requested further documents today, including my flight ticket. 

However, during that time i have changed the dates on my flight to a few weeks later to the date i put on the application.

Any thoughts on whether this is going to create an issue ?

Would a cover letter be enough ? Or is this going to create issues?

1 hour ago, HauptmannUK said:

I can't make sense of that price. If they mean 180k Kip then that's only about 250THB, which can't be correct.  On the other hand if they mean 180k THB then that's a ridiculous price and there would be no takers.

Agree. It's madness

2 hours ago, JoeyMac said:

Did my DTV application a few weeks ago. They requested further documents today, including my flight ticket. 

However, during that time i have changed the dates on my flight to a few weeks later to the date i put on the application.

Any thoughts on whether this is going to create an issue ?

Would a cover letter be enough ? Or is this going to create issues?

Where did you do the application? Every other report suggested a very quick turnaround when further documents were requested.

5 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

What you outlined happening in the West is why foreigners should not be able to get permanent-jobs in foreign countries.  Why should the people of a nation support a govt - giving that govt power to dictate laws they must "obey," etc - when that govt does not work exclusively for THEIR interests?

One can always make money outside Thailand, and spend most/all of one's time here - have a family here, etc.  As long as a foreigner is bringing money into Thailand to spend, the locals benefit, so it's fine.  In cases of a rare-skill, then an exception can be made, temporarily.

You can't realistically raise a family here and work abroad. I know some people do that, but it's not a good way of living.

You can't spend all your time here if you're not working unless you're retired because you'd run out of money. Most of us have to work and unless that's remote work, it will either be in Thailand or abroad.

Based on your logic, international schools should discard their foreign teachers and hire Thais and thus turn international schools into Thai schools.

I'm afraid that what you desire in Thailand will never happen because like the west, Thailand will become multicultural...eventually anyway.

Right now the Burmese and Cambodians are coming in and they're replacing Thai workers, never to give them their jobs back (yes, many Thais don't want those jobs and/or there's a labor shortage) but it doesn't change that fact.

The DTV will ensure more remote workers come in (who won't be threatening Thai jobs) while Indians are already coming in large numbers and taking all the positions at Indian restaurants and at many stalls at MBK and some other types of businesses.

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, gtrinbkk said:

I'm Currently on the Non-O Thai Spouse visa, but I meet the eligibility for the DTV as well.  Has anyone previously on the Non-O had success applying for the DTV?

Or are they requiring foreigners with Thai spouses to stay on the Non-O. 

Thanks!

I'm in the same situation. Simply put - highly unlikely. Why would they care? Especially if you're a remote worker, the DTV just seems so much better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rob Browder said:

There are however arguments to be made in favor of what you said, regarding governments not working in favor of citizen's interests and why don't they do things like prevent foreigners from taking jobs in their countries.

However, if you have a Thai family, then if the government didn't allow us to work here like you insinuate (fortunately they do) then why should/would they allow us to live here? That makes no sense. Equally, in such a situation and one where countries (including those in the west and elsewhere) stop allowing foreigners to work (except temporarily perhaps) one would need to reexamine whether it's a good idea to marry a foreigner and have a family with them as there would be untold difficulties with such a choice.

One could argue that's already the case now to some extent but it would be infinitely more complicated if what you want to see happen, were to occur.

If it did, then forget about the DTV or any scheme to allow foreigners in..

We'd need to divorce our Thai wives, abandon our Thai children and find wives in our own countries, have children with them and stay there, like in the good old days of yesteryear.

The ways of the future are that all countries and notably Thailand too, will be forced to open up in a way never seen before.

You may not believe it, but in the decades to come, Thailand will start to resemble an Asian version of the west.

Given the aging population and extremely low birth rate and the country's adoption of progressive politics this is basically inevitable.

Judging by my facebook profile, Indians are going crazy for this visa. 

You have to remember there is not a single other country in the world with this kind of soft entry for Indians, and i am talking about even some third world countries won't let indians just fly in like this, never mind staying here for 5 years.

They're coming here to work too. 

Absolute bat mental policy from Srettha and his cronies. 

Edited by JoeyMac
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, JoeyMac said:

Judging by my facebook profile, Indians are going crazy for this visa. 

You have to remember there is not a single other country in the world with this kind of soft entry for Indians, and i am talking about even some third world countries won't let indians just fly in like this, never mind staying here for 5 years.

They're coming here to work too. 

Absolute bat mental policy from Srettha and his cronies. 

I spoke to a colleague in our India office this week, and he mentioned that it's hot news and probably won't be good for us in Thailand. Sure, you can't work on a DTV except remotely, but don't think for a second that people arriving from situations which are dire won't care too much about the risk. What's the worst that can happen if your life is terrible already? Not to cast a stereotype, but there is a reason that Indians are subject to stricter visa controls in most places, I'm afraid.

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, asia123 said:

I was rejected so didnt pay 

What was the reason they specifically told you that you were rejected? 

I can see several people have asked but don't see an answer. I'm guessing you're anonymous here more or less, so it won't hurt to share what happened and help other people prepare better.

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

There are however arguments to be made in favor of what you said, regarding governments not working in favor of citizen's interests and why don't they do things like prevent foreigners from taking jobs in their countries.

However, if you have a Thai family, then if the government didn't allow us to work here like you insinuate (fortunately they do) then why should/would they allow us to live here? That makes no sense. Equally, in such a situation and one where countries (including those in the west and elsewhere) stop allowing foreigners to work (except temporarily perhaps) one would need to reexamine whether it's a good idea to marry a foreigner and have a family with them as there would be untold difficulties with such a choice.

One could argue that's already the case now to some extent but it would be infinitely more complicated if what you want to see happen, were to occur.

If it did, then forget about the DTV or any scheme to allow foreigners in..

We'd need to divorce our Thai wives, abandon our Thai children and find wives in our own countries, have children with them and stay there, like in the good old days of yesteryear.

The ways of the future are that all countries and notably Thailand too, will be forced to open up in a way never seen before.

You may not believe it, but in the decades to come, Thailand will start to resemble an Asian version of the west.

Given the aging population and extremely low birth rate and the country's adoption of progressive politics this is basically inevitable.

problem being that the UN began years ago, initiatives in human rights and female empowerment at odds with traditional role of women creating families in developed and developing countries and now women don't want to go back to the traditional family's value with women focused on bearing children.  That is why the falling birth rates in so many countries, many of which have very strict immigration policies, i.e. Japan, Thailand, S. Korea et al. and so what do we see - reports of populations 1/2 in number in just a couple of decades plus old timers having to remain in their jobs as there is no one to replace them.  In Seoul, no one wants to get married or have children.  Many people have to work 2 or 3 jobs just to live daily.  I sure don't see it getting much better here in the near future for sure.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Karma80 said:

I spoke to a colleague in our India office this week, and he mentioned that it's hot news and probably won't be good for us in Thailand. Sure, you can't work on a DTV except remotely, but don't think for a second that people arriving from situations which are dire won't care too much about the risk. What's the worst that can happen if your life is terrible already? Not to cast a stereotype, but there is a reason that Indians are subject to stricter visa controls in most places, I'm afraid.

Indians are already coming in droves to work here, mostly illegally. Saw an Indian takeaway restaurant on the corner of Sukhumvit soi 22 and from outside you can make out the entirely Indian staff, maybe 10 individuals including cooks, not a single Thai to be seen. MBK's 4th floor is full of Nepalese, Indians, half Indian-Burmese (Indo-Burmese) and Indo-Nepalese with few Thais in sight. I'm talking about workers here, especially in shops selling mobile phones and related equipment. Thais own the shops but that's about it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

many Thais don't want those jobs and/or there's a labor shortage)

I've heard that before - like when I and my co-workers (in my first career) worked "those jobs" in the West, right up until the day we were replaced by those who would work for less than half our wage.  It's the same in Thailand now, with "those jobs" - even more so with the manufacturing / export slow-down.

And given the cost of labor in a square-meter of building or in a manufactured good, is trivial, it is only for profit-taking at the top - not because it would significantly affect the consumer's price.

16 hours ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

... forget about the DTV or any scheme to allow foreigners in..

The DTV specifically allows only foreign-work - not work in Thailand.

There is more you wrote I would address, such as whether "married to a Thai" should have exceptions, vs other imported labor - but we are getting too far afield from the DTV, which I think is a great idea, including because it only allows remote work - so opens a pipe to foreign money flows into Thailand. 

Hopefully, this visa, and less scrutiny of Visa Exempt entries (remains to be seen) can help provide opportunities for those denied the other careers, where they were replaced.

17 hours ago, Tomtomtom69 said:

I don't understand why you were rejected. Surely it was just a case of missing a document, which you could have provided then with later and still gotten the visa 

If this is the case I recall from earlier, the financials were the issue - a screenshot of a Thai banking-page was not good enough.  A PDF downloaded / printed might have worked.  And a bank-letter signed/stamped by the bank would have surely worked.  Maybe even a bank-book shown, along with copies.

• Agree 1

On 8/9/2024 at 3:57 PM, Rob Browder said:

I've heard that before - like when I and my co-workers (in my first career) worked "those jobs" in the West, right up until the day we were replaced by those who would work for less than half our wage.  It's the same in Thailand now, with "those jobs" - even more so with the manufacturing / export slow-down.

And given the cost of labor in a square-meter of building or in a manufactured good, is trivial, it is only for profit-taking at the top - not because it would significantly affect the consumer's price.

The DTV specifically allows only foreign-work - not work in Thailand.

There is more you wrote I would address, such as whether "married to a Thai" should have exceptions, vs other imported labor - but we are getting too far afield from the DTV, which I think is a great idea, including because it only allows remote work - so opens a pipe to foreign money flows into Thailand. 

Hopefully, this visa, and less scrutiny of Visa Exempt entries (remains to be seen) can help provide opportunities for those denied the other careers, where they were replaced.

I agree with you on the first part..

Labor shortages in the local workforce have been artificially created. 

Foreigners have replaced local workers and it was done by design, not because there was an intrinsic need. This is true all over the world, whether in the west or in Thailand. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2024 at 4:01 PM, Rob Browder said:

If this is the case I recall from earlier, the financials were the issue - a screenshot of a Thai banking-page was not good enough.  A PDF downloaded / printed might have worked.  And a bank-letter signed/stamped by the bank would have surely worked.  Maybe even a bank-book shown, along with copies.

I'd bring along all of these or whatever I'm able to obtain.

If a statement from a foreign bank, just a PDF printout should be sufficient. Difficult to get anything more, unless you're in your home country.

If it's from a Thai bank, a bank letter that is stamped, along with a bank book.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/11/2024 at 6:31 PM, Lorry said:

How?

Just lower wages until locals refuse to work for what is offered - only possible because people from poorer nations will accept the lower wage, and are allowed to work here (legally or illegally). 

The restrictions on Westerners applying for work-permits prevents this - but that higher-bar does not apply to those from neighboring countries, much less the illegal workers.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I've contacted HCMC and P-P about DTV based on Dental Appointment last friday
today got reply:

Regarding to your inquiries, please find clarification as follow:

1a) copy + original Thai Bank Book with 520,000THB will be ok?
1b) or print electronic statement pdf from Kasikorn bank ?

Regarding the financial statement, please prepare:
- 1 document showing the transactions within 6 months.
- 1 document showing the account balance or a combination of a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 500,000 Baht.

2) Receipt from 3 August from Dental clinic , which says next appointment to make flexible dentures for 2 teeth will be ok? for 21 September.
It is printed with clinic logo, red stamp and signed. I can also bring receipts for teeth removal at the same clinic from 26 May.
- Any documents shown the appointment from hospital/medical center is acceptable.

Kindly note that all documents must be in English or Thai. If not, they must be translated. 

The Royal Thai Consulate-General in Ho Chi Minh reserves the rights to request additional documents, interviews, or to disapprove as deemed necessary.

Still didn't specify whether just printed PDF with balance and transactions will be ok or have to obtain from the Bank (Bangkok bank has a fee of 100b for each doc)

But to my surprise the dental appointment was ok.
But I've already bought tickets to P-P,  although that embassy didn't reply.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I've contacted HCMC and P-P about DTV based on Dental Appointment last friday
today got reply:

Regarding to your inquiries, please find clarification as follow:

1a) copy + original Thai Bank Book with 520,000THB will be ok?
1b) or print electronic statement pdf from Kasikorn bank ?

Regarding the financial statement, please prepare:
- 1 document showing the transactions within 6 months.
- 1 document showing the account balance or a combination of a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 500,000 Baht.

2) Receipt from 3 August from Dental clinic , which says next appointment to make flexible dentures for 2 teeth will be ok? for 21 September.
It is printed with clinic logo, red stamp and signed. I can also bring receipts for teeth removal at the same clinic from 26 May.
- Any documents shown the appointment from hospital/medical center is acceptable.

Kindly note that all documents must be in English or Thai. If not, they must be translated. 

The Royal Thai Consulate-General in Ho Chi Minh reserves the rights to request additional documents, interviews, or to disapprove as deemed necessary.

Still didn't specify whether just printed PDF with balance and transactions will be ok or have to obtain from the Bank (Bangkok bank has a fee of 100b for each doc)

But to my surprise the dental appointment was ok.
But I've already bought tickets to P-P,  although that embassy didn't reply.

Yes. 

It is possible to get a 5 year multiple entry visa based on a single dental appointment. 

Times have changed. 

• Thanks 1