Electricity Charges

Please move to appropriate forum. Thanks

My 20 year old stepson and his friend are renting a room whilst studying to be teachers, somewhere near Samut Prakan. I have just learned that they are being charged Bht 10 per unit for electricity.

I read somewhere on here that this is illegal. Can anyone enlighten me please, and what can be done about it.

Yeh, I guess the Landlord will put the rent up to compensate.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Please move to appropriate forum. Thanks

My 20 year old stepson and his friend are renting a room whilst studying to be teachers, somewhere near Samut Prakan. I have just learned that they are being charged Bht 10 per unit for electricity.

I read somewhere on here that this is illegal. Can anyone enlighten me please, and what can be done about it.

Yeh, I guess the Landlord will put the rent up to compensate.

If the landlord has 5 or more units, he is only allowed to charge the rate he pays.

• Thanks 1

In many villa developpments, the bills are paied to the management and not to the government.  The owner has to pay the management for the electricity and water that often leads to arguments as it is paid at a higher rate then the usual government rate. The practice is very much all over Hua Hin Hin Lek Fai in many well known pool villa developpments. Many foreigners just don't care and foolishly pay up.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I have just learned that they are being charged Bht 10 per unit for electricity.

Is it significant?  How much different would their total bill be if they were charged 6 Bht per unit?

13 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Is it significant?  How much different would their total bill be if they were charged 6 Bht per unit?

Doooh. Say 300 units @ 10 = Bht 3000, @ 6 = Bht 1800. Simple O level arithmetic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Doooh. Say 300 units @ 10 = Bht 3000, @ 6 = Bht 1800. Simple O level arithmetic.

Are you trying to say the bill is 300 units or are you demonstrating your incredible math skills?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Are you trying to say the bill is 300 units or are you demonstrating your incredible math skills?

No, I was answering your question as to whether it would make a significant difference if it were Bht 6 per unit. And yes it would. 

25 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Neither.

Just now, KannikaP said:

No, I was answering Dante rather silly question as to whether 6 Bht per unit would make a significant difference over Bht 10 per unit. 

My bill is abut 300 baht per month so a change from 10 to 6 baht would only be 120 baht, which for me is not significant.  Thus not a silly question but that is your silly.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

No, I was answering Dante rather silly question as to whether 6 Bht per unit would make a significant difference over Bht 10 per unit. 

Just so I've got this straight, what exactly is the cost difference between 10 baht and 6 baht? 😉

Just now, Dante99 said:

My bill is abut 300 baht per month so a change from 10 to 6 baht would only be 120 baht, which for me is not significant.  Thus not a silly question but that is your silly.

Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves.

If you start accepting 67% gouging on all your bills then your expenses will be 67% higher than they should be, regardless of the individual amounts.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dante99 said:

3 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

I was talking about 300 UNITS per month, not a bill of Bht 300, which is about 60 units.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

We look after a number of villas where the developers pay one PEA bill for the development and then charge the individual owners separately.

Individual costs range from 7 baht to 10 baht per unit depending on the developer.

About 15 years ago, a new development near me was charging 25 baht per unit, but that did lead to a gunfight and the developer ended up in gaol.

• Love It 1

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

This all started because I asked a simple question. My stepson and partner use around 300 UNITS of electricity per month, for which the Landlord is charging him Bht 10 per unit = Bht 3000. The official rate is about Bht 5, with a bit added on for 'maintenance' etc, so his bill should be Bht 1800. Significant for him.

Dante was going on about his bill being BHT 300, ie 60 UNITS per month at the official rate, or 30 UNITS if he is being ripped off.

So sorry Bil97, I do know what I am doing, unless you can put me right. Thanks

300 units shouldn't be over 1400 baht.

https://eservice.pea.co.th/EstimateBill/

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

300 units shouldn't be over 1400 baht.

https://eservice.pea.co.th/EstimateBill/

Yes, Bht 1352 from the calculator. But the Landlord adds some on, so charges Bht 10 per unit.

By law, if he had more than 5 letting units, he can only charge the official rate plus a bit added on  for maintenance.

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Yes, Bht 1352 from the calculator. But the Landlord adds some on, so charges Bht 10 per unit.

By law, if he had more than 5 letting units, he can only charge the official rate plus a bit added on  for maintenance.

That's a wee bit more than some :coffee1:

• Agree 1