Vets in Thailand Don't Use the Cheap Ones

Posted (edited)

Like the hospitals in Thailand the vets are just a bunch of people playing dress up.

I was horrified to see them operating on animals without pain killers or anesthsia.  The animal is held down and screaming in pain.

We decided to let one cat stay the night there.  This cat was actually getting stronger but took a sharp decline after visiting the vet.  The next morning the cat was covered in urine and the woman said "yeah it keeps doing that".  They just stand there and look at you.

Another shock is the lack of technology.  They didn't have an icu unit.  Finally on the way out the doctor said "yeah your cat is dehydrated you should buy some blueboy and give it to her". Why didn't he do it?  We took the cat home and it died that night.

So don't go to the small ones.   They are useless.

Edited by Chris Daley

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/2/2024 at 8:53 PM, Chris Daley said:

Like the hospitals in Thailand the vets are just a bunch of people playing dress up.

I was horrified to see them operating on animals without pain killers or anesthsia.  The animal is held down and screaming in pain.

We decided to let one cat stay the night there.  This cat was actually getting stronger but took a sharp decline after visiting the vet.  The next morning the cat was covered in urine and the woman said "yeah it keeps doing that".  They just stand there and look at you.

Another shock is the lack of technology.  They didn't have an icu unit.  Finally on the way out the doctor said "yeah your cat is dehydrated you should buy some blueboy and give it to her". Why didn't he do it?  We took the cat home and it died that night.

So don't go to the small ones.   They are useless.

The big/expensive ones aren't better either. 

Two of my dogs died in exactly the same scenario a few years apart.

I took dog to the vet saying, "Dog seems sad." The vet looked at him from across the room and said, "Yeah, that's XYZ season's disease. Every dog in the village has it right now," and prescribed some pills. Three days later, the dog stopped eating. "Yeah, this disease takes time to cure. Here are more pills for XYZ." Three days later, the dog stopped walking. "It's time to double the dose of pills for XYZ disease." All of this happened without the vet ever being near the dog or examining him. Three days later, dog became unresponsive. "I guess it's time to triple the dose of pills for that XYZ disease." And then both of them died. Happened a few years apart.

I started to drive my purebred German Shepherd to the provincial city (previous were street dogs taken from the street), where basic yearly vaccinations cost 2,700 Baht (rabbies ...) (before, I was paying 300 Baht). But at least I don't feel like I'm driving her to a slaughterhouse.