Doorbell and light on gatenot working

Two gate posts. Both have a light fixtures controlled by the same light switch in the house,  one post also has a doorbell button.

The post that has only a light fixture works correctly and can be switched on/off from inside the house. The other post that has a light fixture and doorbell never turns on with the other light fixture. I found the bulb bad and replaced with a working lightbulb still doesn't work.

Once upon a time my doorbell switch went bad and I replaced it. I was surprised that the doorbell had 220vac. 

My doorbell isn't working either. I measured at the doorbell wires and there isn't any 220v. 

I removed the nonworking light fixture above the doorbell button and I can see three cable pairs of blue and brown wires and a single white wire.

Two of the cables pairs on the left side are connected together. I originally thought that one of the cables goes to the other working post light but perhaps not.

The third remaining cable pairs of blue and brown wires goes directly to the light fixture. The white wire is connected to that blue wire.

At one time I could probably figure it out but I can't now.

How do I get 220v to the doorbell switch at all times? How do I get this light fixture to turn on when the other one does?

I checked the doorbell fixture inside the house. It has two wires going to it and I measured 220v at those wires at all times. Thanks for your help in advance.

20240603_095408.jpg

20240603_095454.jpg

20240603_095438.jpg

Assuming it has worked in the past and you've not messed with the connections.

With the power off, cut off, strip and re-make all those connections, also in the other (working) light and at the doorbell itself.

Use nice new choc-blok connectors, they are really cheap and bad ones can cause all sorts of issues.

It's possible that the cable is broken (eaten) somewhere which would be your next port of call if when it still functions not. 

Looks very dodgy to me  I would not be surprised if the wires hidden in the wall have shorted out causing a break in the wire somewhere  thus no flow of electrons.

• Like 1

Yes it all worked last year I visited. 

We ordered stuff online so I went to check that the doorbell was still working. thats when I found out that the light above it also didn't work.

I haven't changed any of the connections. I only opened the fixtures and removed the doorbell switch to short the wires to see if I could ring the indoor chime.

What is a chok-blok connector and where can I find them this morning here in Ubon Ratchathani?

The cables run underground from this light/doorbell post to the house.

I haven't been on this forum for many years. Nice to see that you are still here Crossy and I hope your doing well. Thanks for the help.

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Assuming it has worked in the past and you've not messed with the connections.

With the power off, cut off, strip and re-make all those connections, also in the other (working) light and at the doorbell itself.

Use nice new choc-blok connectors, they are really cheap and bad ones can cause all sorts of issues.

It's possible that the cable is broken (eaten) somewhere which would be your next port of call when it still functions not. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, johng said:

Looks very dodgy to me  I would not be surprised if the wires hidden in the wall have shorted out causing a break in the wire somewhere  thus no flow of electrons.

Let's hope redoing the connections does the job. I'll try it as soon as I find the chok blok connectors.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike45 said:

What is a chok-blok connector and where can I find them this morning here in Ubon Ratchathani?

These guys, every little hardware store, Lotus's etc. etc have them:-

Screenshot 2024-06-03 104427.jpg

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

These guys, every little hardware store, Lotus's etc. etc have them:-

Screenshot 2024-06-03 104427.jpg

Thanks I go buy them and redo the connections as instructed. 

FYI I believe that All these wires come from the receptacle outlet on the  outside of the house next to the driveway. Next stop I guess after the connections.

I've re reconnected everything and it still doesn't work. I'm going to go look at the receptacle box on the side of the house where I believe all this power is coming from and I'm going to clean up all these connections and reconnect them.

20240603_142419.jpg

20240603_142446.jpg

36 minutes ago, Mike45 said:

I've re reconnected everything and it still doesn't work. I'm going to go look at the receptacle box on the side of the house where I believe all this power is coming from and I'm going to clean up all these connections and reconnect them.

20240603_142419.jpg

20240603_142446.jpg

I've reconnected all the wires in the receptacle outlet box on the house. 

I've checked the other post and the working light has good connections. 

I don't know where to go from here.

I just don't understand what is going on. The power from the house is going to the post with the light and the doorbell. I believe one cable brown/blue pair then feeds from there to the working light post..

I also don't understand why I don't have constant power to the doorbell.

20240603_145322.jpg

20240603_145917.jpg

1 minute ago, Mike45 said:

I've reconnected all the wires in the receptacle outlet box on the house. 

I've checked the other post and the working light has good connections. 

I don't know where to go from here.

I just don't understand what is going on. The power from the house is going to the post with the light and the doorbell. I believe one cable brown/blue pair then feeds from there to the working light post..

I also don't understand why I don't have constant power to the doorbell.

20240603_145322.jpg

20240603_145917.jpg

BTW both the red and green LEDs are lit on the outlet checker. It's hard to see the green one in the bright light.

54 minutes ago, Mike45 said:

Sure why don't you show me where to find the WiFi electricity?

Didn't Nikola Tesla have a line on that?

@Mike45 it's time to check each wire. 

You have two issues and I suspect the problems are related, chewed wire perhaps.

The only way to be sure is to get out your trusty ohm-meter (or bulb and battery).

You have one light functioning so I suggest starting with getting the other one working, it's only two wires after all, what could possibly go wrong? :whistling:

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Didn't Nikola Tesla have a line on that?

@Mike45 it's time to check each wire. 

You have two issues and I suspect the problems are related, chewed wire perhaps.

The only way to be sure is to get out your trusty ohm-meter (or bulb and battery).

You have one light functioning so I suggest starting with getting the other one working, it's only two wires after all, what could possibly go wrong? :whistling:

What should I use as my reference for my black meter lead? 

The wires that go to the light fixture are a brown wire which I assume is supposed to be the line voltage. I also see a blue wire going to it that I think is supposed to be a neutral. For some reason there is an unknown white wire attached to that blue wire? Any idea why? 

4 minutes ago, Mike45 said:

What should I use as my reference for my black meter lead? 

The wires that go to the light fixture are a brown wire which I assume is supposed to be the line voltage. I also see a blue wire going to it that I think is supposed to be a neutral. For some reason there is an unknown white wire attached to that blue wire? Any idea why? 

I would use a long traily lead as your reference, then you can determine if each wire is ok (do check for shorts to other wires).

Without seeing the system in the flesh it's awfully difficult to diagnose, ignore wire colours other than for finding the same wire at the other end, they mean nothing as to function.

Your unknown white, could be a neutral feed to "something".

First check the continuity between the light fitting and the known "other end" of each wire. Start at the light that works and work along the circuit until you find the break(s).

IF it always worked.

Then both lamps must have their own cabling from switch. So in the controlling switch there is a power supply, switching 2 separate cables for power to lamps. Or 2 cables are flanged together somewhere, but there are 2 separate cables for the lamps.

As it shows in box (bell). There are 3 pairs of cables. So 2 coming from switch in house and the other one coming from lamp of other post. The other post has just 1 cable, probably leading to the bell post for power.

Of course it is weird.

Why just dont use one cable and put both lamps parallel on just one cable.

Otherwise both lamps have their own switch? Would be not logical, but one never knows, till found out.

So now it could be the bell post lamp cable is broken and doesnt go on anymore. Or the lamp/fitting is broken.

Also your bell power isnt there anymore, which is a separate cable. You measured inside  220 V and outside nothing.

That is IF you measured right, as corrosion on cable can effect your measuring. It is there but you dont measure right.

You just cant squeeze the measuring leads onto the cable ! It will kill you.

Put a connection block on it and your lead pins. See what is does then. You are aware you are measuring dangerous volts. It can kill you in jiffy time. 

You also could first test the bell post lamp if it is working properly. Disconnect and put a wire on it direct from a working socket and see it it will "shine". OK you need a a wire with plug to fit on.

If the cable of bell post lamp is broken, you can find the cable from the other post (as that one is working) and parallel put the bell post lamp to it. Then they should both be working, as showed right working.

If two cables could have problems then maybe the third one is also on its way. Possible.

For now, on one post the lamp is working.  

Corrosion on connecting blocks and cables can also cause problems. Check them, renew, new stripping of wire.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I fixed the doorbell.

I've drawn out almost the entire schematic. My light still doesn't have power. I have not figured out where the brown, blue and white wires that wire up to the light fixture goes!

• Like 1