Wissanu Denies Plans for Kidney Transplant Amid Health Rumours

webfact

image.jpeg

Wissanu Krea-ngam, senior advisor to the Prime Minister, has firmly dispelled ongoing rumours suggesting he is seeking a kidney transplant. The 71-year-old, who requires daily dialysis, remarked that both he and his doctors agree a transplant is unnecessary at this time.

Speaking to the press at Government House post-cabinet meeting, Wissanu stressed his commitment to continuing dialysis, dismissing any ulterior motives behind his return to government service.

Allegations had surfaced that he rejoined the administration under Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin to jump the queue for a kidney transplant, supposedly at Rama IX Hospital, where the influential Shinawatra family holds significant shares.

"It is not true at all that I wish to have a kidney transplant. My doctors and I decided long ago that dialysis is the best method for me. I am okay, though a little busy with having to undergo the treatment every day," Wissanu remarked.

In addressing comparisons with Deputy Prime Minister Phumtham Wechayachai, who has undergone a kidney transplant, Wissanu clarified that Phumtham's donor was one of his own children and that he now needs immunosuppressants. "I do not want to take the medicine or a kidney from my children," he firmly stated, underscoring his preference for dialysis over surgery.

Wissanu also confirmed his attendance at weekly cabinet meetings, barring those held outside Bangkok, despite his health regimen. Known for serving as Deputy Prime Minister under former PM Prayut Chan-o-cha, Wissanu has been reinstated by Srettha to help the government navigate legal challenges, specifically concerning the controversial appointment of Pichit Chuenban as PM Office Minister.

With a critical rebuttal to the Constitutional Court due by June 7, Wissanu’s legal expertise will be instrumental in addressing the current political controversy. He indicated that his review of the government's defence is already underway.

Picture courtesy: Thai PBS

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-05

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1