Sunak's Departure from D-Day Event Sparks Controversy

image.png

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak's decision to leave an international D-Day 80th anniversary ceremony early for a television interview has been met with significant backlash, even from within his own party. The controversy erupted after Sunak departed the commemorative events in Normandy, France, to return to the UK and defend his claims about Sir Keir Starmer’s tax plans in an interview with ITV, leaving other world leaders like Joe Biden, Emmanuel Macron, and the Prince of Wales at the event.

Tim Montgomerie, founder of Conservative Home, criticized Sunak's actions as "political malpractice of the highest order," expressing disbelief at the Prime Minister's decision to prioritize a campaign interview over the D-Day ceremony. Lord Shaun Bailey, the Tory candidate in the 2021 London mayoral election, also condemned the move, suggesting that Sunak's presence at such a significant event would have been more impactful.

Amid growing criticism, Sunak issued an apology on Twitter, acknowledging his mistake and emphasizing his deep respect for veterans. He stated, "After the conclusion of the British event in Normandy, I returned back to the UK. On reflection, it was a mistake not to stay in France longer – and I apologise.”

Labour seized the opportunity to criticize Sunak, with Jonathan Ashworth, the shadow paymaster general, calling the Prime Minister's actions a "dereliction of duty" and accusing him of lying during the television interview. Ashworth stated, “The Prime Minister skipping off early from D-Day commemorations to record a television interview where he once again lied through his teeth is both an embarrassment and a total dereliction of duty. Our country deserves so much better than out-of-touch, desperate Rishi Sunak and his chaotic Tory Party.”

The controversial interview with ITV's Paul Brand saw Sunak rejecting Labour's accusations of dishonesty regarding his claims that Labour would hike taxes by £2,000, a statement later criticized by the UK statistics watchdog. Sunak argued that independent Treasury officials had costed Labour's policies, but this was contradicted by James Bowler, the Treasury’s permanent secretary, who clarified that ministers had been advised not to suggest that civil servants produced the figure.

The row originated from a Conservative document estimating the cost of potential Labour policies, suggesting a £38.5 billion deficit over four years, which the Tories equated to a £2,094 tax rise per working household. The Office for Statistics Regulation criticized the Conservatives for not making clear that the estimate was summed over four years, indicating a potential misuse of statistics during the campaign.

Rishi Sunak's early departure from the D-Day commemoration for a TV interview has sparked significant controversy and criticism from both within his party and from opposition members. The incident has highlighted internal party divisions and raised questions about Sunak's political judgment and priorities during a crucial period leading up to elections.

Credit: Daily Telegraph 2024-06-08

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Conservative right-wing rag lol, going further right, no surprise if it backs Farage and Reform Party, jumping off a sinking ship.

Only trouble is there up to there eyes in debt, £1bn, print media is finished.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Conservative right-wing rag lol, going further right, no surprise if it backs Farage and Reform Party, jumping off a sinking ship.

Only trouble is there up to there eyes in debt, £1bn, print media is finished.

Covered worldwide including CNN. In the UK most media outlets including the BBC And Guardian have far more detail. The problem her is you not the Telegraph OP.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Social Media said:

acknowledging his mistake

better to ask forgiveness than ask for permission....politicians get out of jail card 101

meanwhile...

nurse.jpg

nurse copy.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

Imagine for a moment the response in the press and on this forum if Kier Starmer had shown the level of utter disrespect displayed by Sunak in leaving what is very likely the last D-Day reunion at Normandy.

We’d witnessing a rightwing meltdown, anger that would be justified and is now.

Yet observer how quiet this thread is.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, bannork said:

The sooner he takes up his green card and heads to California, the better. He may be a decent man, and clever with figures, but politically he has feet of clay.

No understanding or empathy for the public, faced with a high cost of living and a crumbling NHS.

Spot on but you also have to wonder about his advisors. Is there no one close to Sunak pointing out the possible negatives in his actions prior to him taking them?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, RayC said:

Spot on but you also have to wonder about his advisors. Is there no one close to Sunak pointing out the possible negatives in his actions prior to him taking them?

Clearly not, but don’t worry, voters will sort it.

Sunak is in the process of snatching annihilation out of the jaws of defeat.

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Imagine for a moment the response in the press and on this forum if Kier Starmer had shown the level of utter disrespect displayed by Sunak in leaving what is very likely the last D-Day reunion at Normandy.

We’d witnessing a rightwing meltdown, anger that would be justified and is now.

Yet observer how quiet this thread is.

But, you are never quiet if there is a Tory bashing opportunity, how tiresome............:coffee1:

In this thread, a country's leader can do what he wants, we don't know his "full" agenda for the day, oh, except lefty you, of course............😂

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, transam said:

But, you are never quiet if there is a Tory bashing opportunity, how tiresome............:coffee1:

In this thread, a country's leader can do what he wants, we don't know his "full" agenda for the day, oh, except lefty you, of course............😂

Says the guy who time and time again points out the sacrifices made by the UK in WWII 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, stevenl said:

Says the guy who time and time again points out the sacrifices made by the UK in WWII 

Yes, and, what has that got to do with TODAYS problems a leader maybe dealing with......?

Stupid remark, tool......:coffee1:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

‘His full agenda on the day’.

Honoring the sacrifice of those who gave their lives and fought on D-Day was the ‘agenda for the day’.

Almost certainly the last time men who were there on D-Day will meet again.

Little Rishi sloped off.

Utterly shameful behaviour.

The yank is enjoying his/her Tory bash day............🤭

He/she also knows the PM's agenda for the day.......NOT...........😆

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Yes, and, what has that got to do with TODAYS problems a leader maybe dealing with......?

Stupid remark, tool......:coffee1:

It's really easy. He choose a election meeting over remembering those who sacrified. 

And no I'm not resorting to name calling.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, stevenl said:

It's really easy. He choose a election meeting over remembering those who sacrified. 

And no I'm not resorting to name calling.

Oh, so standing there till the end is more important than his leadership commitments....🤣

Yeh, enjoy your bash dribbling....🥴

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, transam said:

Oh, the SNP has turned, hi there................:guitar:

Wouldn't this forum be really boring if everyone's contributions amounted to little more than baseless posts about Brexit being great and Meghan Markle and Diane Abbott being jointly responsible for all the negative things in the UK? 

I know that the Tories are pushing to make freedom of thought a crime but it's not yet illegal to not follow your cult.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Wouldn't this forum be really boring if everyone's contributions amounted to little more than baseless posts about Brexit being great and Meghan Markle and Diane Abbott being jointly responsible for all the negative things in the UK? 

I know that the Tories are pushing to make freedom of thought a crime but it's not yet illegal to not follow your cult.

Or your bent SNP...........:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

‘His full agenda on the day’.

Honoring the sacrifice of those who gave their lives and fought on D-Day was the ‘agenda for the day’.

Almost certainly the last time men who were there on D-Day will meet again.

Little Rishi sloped off.

Utterly shameful behaviour.

Give him a break .... the war in the Pacific is of more relevance to his roots.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, transam said:

The yank is enjoying his/her Tory bash day............🤭

He/she also knows the PM's agenda for the day.......NOT...........😆

Sunak sloping off was utterly shameful.

You know it was.

You just can’t accept the very obviously deserved criticism of a Tory.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Agree 2

55 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You know it was.

Agree ..... such bravery and honour, still within the lifetime of a few, deserves full respect and attention from the polical head of the county.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Clearly not, but don’t worry, voters will sort it.

Sunak is in the process of snatching annihilation out of the jaws of defeat.

For once I agree with you.

If Sunak had left France to deal with a serious family issue, or a domestic crisis, major terror incident etc., it would be forgivable.

But he left to do an interview with ITV to defend accusations of lying. I find that absolutely disgraceful and I'd never vote for a party led by somebody who'd do that. 

Tory voters will be leaving him in droves now. Labour were already on course for an easy victory, but now it's going to be an absolute landslide. 

Unlike you, I hope Reform are the beneficiaries of Sunak's sick act of vanity. Reform won't win of course, but if they get a few seats in Parliament it'll be very interesting. 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

For once I agree with you.

If Sunak had left France to deal with a serious family issue, or a domestic crisis, major terror incident etc., it would be forgivable.

But he left to do an interview with ITV to defend accusations of lying. I find that absolutely disgraceful and I'd never vote for a party led by somebody who'd do that. 

Tory voters will be leaving him in droves now. Labour were already on course for an easy victory, but now it's going to be an absolute landslide. 

Unlike you, I hope Reform are the beneficiaries of Sunak's sick act of vanity. Reform won't win of course, but if they get a few seats in Parliament it'll be very interesting. 

Sunak’s retreat from the beaches was definitely one of the worst political blunders I can recall.

But ‘Reform’ a party of dog kickers!

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You know it was.

Do not tell me what I think, yank, because you don't know.

You, like me, do not know the PM's schedule, notifications etc, on the day, but a perfect opportunity for you to do a lefty attack on the Tory party.

You are sooooo predictable............😂

1 minute ago, transam said:

Do not tell me what I think, yank, because you don't know.

You, like me, do not know the PM's schedule, notifications etc, on the day, but a perfect opportunity for you to do a lefty attack on the Tory party.

You are sooooo predictable............😂

I can tell you this.

What you ‘think’ is demonstrably founded upon baseless assumptions.

I can’t wait to hear what Farage has to say about Sunak ‘leaving them on the beaches’.

Actually, I can’t wait to hear what Starmer says too, but I expect Farage to be a little less ‘restrained’.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I can tell you this.

What you ‘think’ is demonstrably founded upon baseless assumptions.

I can’t wait to hear what Farage has to say about Sunak ‘leaving them on the beaches’.

Actually, I can’t wait to hear what Starmer says too, but I expect Farage to be a little less ‘restrained’.

Why fear telling what country you come from, don't worry, if you are 'wanted' they don't know who you are here...........😂

As for the thread, of course you can't wait for ANYONE to have a go at the PM, it's a natural thing for a lefty to do....

But, don't worry, the thrift shops back home will not be closing any time soon......:clap2:

• Like 1