How Many Pages.....

Sad, but unsurprising that nobody has replied to your post. Unless it’s about bars, girls, wives, ladyboys, drinking, etc, then it doesn’t trigger people much. 

Last book I read was about 2 months ago. I would do about 40-60 pages in one go, like you said. Sometimes a bit more or a bit less. I generally aimed for 60 pages in a whack to make me feel like I was consistently progressing. 

Reading is great, but we have all developed such a short attention span from digital media that we lack the concentration now to read a lot and stay focused. So I want to read more. My aim is to read at least one book a month. I think it is a great method to help get our focus and concentration back on track. 

My real issue though is finding things I’m interested in reading though. That’s a problem. I’m not so into fiction and a lot of non-fiction can be boring. And anything in self improvement or how to be more successful, better yourself, forget it. No interest. But that’s so much of what seems to dominate with new books right now. 

I also think books longer than about 250-300 pages are too much. So if I could find books I’m interested in reading at about 250-300 pages per book, then I would try and read consistently 1-2 a month. 

I am an old guy with 'bathroom' issues.

At home, I am usually too busy to read (I run a business) so it is typically 2 - 4 pages whilst sitting on the loo. (I speed read.)

When I travel, I read for most of the journey (plane or train). I never count pages.

I read when I eat out on my own.

When I go to immigration, police station, hospital etc I also read but again, I do not count the number of pages. Sorry.

I read books at home. Everywhere else, Kindle.

2 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

Depends on the book. A really good one can be read in a couple of days (if I have the time).

Yes, I can read a good book in a couple of days but mostly fiction. 

I enjoy something not too taxing on the brain - maybe a crime thriller. I'll get through a 300 page book in around 3 days. I do prefer to hold a physical book as opposed to using a Kindle or similar. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A printed book ... about 50 to 100 pages depending on how involved I am in the story.  On the Kindle, maybe 20 pages.  Not sure why it's so much less.

On a computer, 4 pages and I'm done.

I wrote a book a couple of years ago .... could only write about 5 pages a day, so took ages to write it.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

A printed book ... about 50 to 100 pages depending on how involved I am in the story.  On the Kindle, maybe 20 pages.  Not sure why it's so much less.

On a computer, 4 pages and I'm done.

I wrote a book a couple of years ago .... could only write about 5 pages a day, so took ages to write it.

Was your book published or was it a personal memoir to get everything down on paper?

5 minutes ago, stoner said:

i read a lot of fiction daily on here.

Not to mention how much more useful the stuff we read would be if all we did on here was scan the local news headlines and move on.

I actually never spent any time on this site until I recently put some of my regular activities on hold. Can’t say I really gain or learn anything from reading and writing rubbish on here though.

My aim now is to pivot back to spending my time doing the things I was doing before, including doing some useful reading. 

I have a beautiful book on my iPad about the urban history of Kyoto’s premodern era that I have been meaning to read. 250 pages. Perfect. I’m gonna start it tomorrow. 

I prefer reading on the iPad because of the big screen. Physical books are nice, but if there is an eBook option I prefer that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChumpChange said:

Not to mention how much more useful the stuff we read would be if all we did on here was scan the local news headlines and move on.

I actually never spent any time on this site until I recently put some of my regular activities on hold. Can’t say I really gain or learn anything from reading and writing rubbish on here though.

My aim now is to pivot back to spending my time doing the things I was doing before, including doing some useful reading. 

I have a beautiful book on my iPad about the urban history of Kyoto’s premodern era that I have been meaning to read. 250 pages. Perfect. I’m gonna start it tomorrow. 

I prefer reading on the iPad because of the big screen. Physical books are nice, but if there is an eBook option I prefer that. 

I did think that your main job was taking the pi$$ out of Bob which I do find amusing. But then you surprised me by coming up with a very useful and informative post on a financial thread the other day.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Keeps said:

Was your book published or was it a personal memoir to get everything down on paper?

It was adult fiction - only published via Amazon.  Became a top seller in its category for about a week, then got buried under the millions of books published every day on Kindle.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I read fiction and non-fiction.

With non-fiction I might read when I know I have only 30 minutes time - maybe sitting in a taxi.

With fiction, I won't start if I don't have at least an hour available. The idea is, to immense myself.

How many pages? I don't really know. I read mostly on my eBook reader and sometimes on my Kindle phone app. They save where I stopped reading and I don't look at the page numbers.

Currently I am reading Gerald Seymour - No Mortal Thing. I read many of his books over the years, but I didn't read any of his books recently, so I thought it is time to do that again. I just started this book, I like it.

The last non-fiction book which I finished recently was Rory Sutherland - Alchemy: The Dark Art and Curious Science of Creating Magic in Brands, Business, and Life. I can highly recommend it to everyone who likes to think outside the box.

18 minutes ago, ChumpChange said:

Did you ever try an actual eBook reader with e-Ink screen? You can read them for hours just like books.

I wouldn't want to read anything for an extended period of time on a "computer screen" - especially in the dark. 

They are also available in different sizes - and obviously the font size can be changed.

4505.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=

24 minutes ago, Keeps said:

I did think that your main job was taking the pi$$ out of Bob which I do find amusing. But then you surprised me by coming up with a very useful and informative post on a financial thread the other day.

Thank you. Nice to know I actually wrote something that was perhaps useful in a way. I used to blog to share knowledge and that was a helpful and fulfilling way to connect with people who have a similar interest. 

Yes, trolling Bob is good fun. I like him a lot. He's full of ego and no ego all at the same time. He's a great fictional character that provides a bit of dry wit to keep us all interested. I do want to end that bromance though. As much fun as it can be, it's not really productive. Let's see if I can resist the temptation. I'm gonna try hard. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, ChumpChange said:

Thank you. Nice to know I actually wrote something that was perhaps useful in a way. I used to blog to share knowledge and that was a helpful and fulfilling way to connect with people who have a similar interest. 

Yes, trolling Bob is good fun. I like him a lot. He's full of ego and no ego all at the same time. He's a great fictional character that provides a bit of dry wit to keep us all interested. I do want to end that bromance though. As much fun as it can be, it's not really productive. Let's see if I can resist the temptation. I'm gonna try hard. 

We'll see.....he reels you in and there is no escaping.....555

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did you ever try an actual eBook reader with e-Ink screen? You can read them for hours just like books.

I wouldn't want to read anything for an extended period of time on a "computer screen" - especially in the dark. 

They are also available in different sizes - and obviously the font size can be changed.

4505.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=

Thank you. No, I don't have one, but I've looked at them. They are nice. Very natural and easy on the eyes. 

The benefit of the iPad though is the color screen. The book on Kyoto I plan to start reading is in PDF form with some beautiful graphics mixed in. So a 13" tablet screen held vertically is perfect for that kind of book and everything is big and easy to see. 

For just plain ebook text then the readers are great, but also a bit physically small. I like a bigger screen. The glare doesn't bother me and having bigger fonts is less strain on the eyes for me. 

With a tablet you can also change the colors of the background on ePUB books to make them look like what your reading is on parchment paper. Or you can change it to whatever you like for the background and text colors to make it easier on the eyes. You can also shift the colors from a day to night environment to again reduce eye strain if reading in the dark. 

I just use the Books app on the iPad or Adobe PDF Reader for PDF books. But on an Android tablet the Aldiko ebook reader app is great. 

I read about twenty to thirty I guess. Being well past my 'Best Before' date I read when I go to bed.  Sometimes during the night to send me off to sleep after my regular soft shoe shuffle in the early hours to the kharzi to send me off to sleep again. One of the benefits of old age is that you can read the same book after six months and enjoy it because you forgot subject. I'd be lost without a book. Now what were we discussing? 😉

• Haha 2