2 questions arising from my soon-to-expire Non-O from Lao

First, last July I was given a Non-O visa (marriage) at the Consulate in Savannakhet. Do I understand rightly that if I depart the country before that visa expires in a few weeks and then return while it is still valid that I’ll be granted a further stay of 90 days? If so, does it matter whether that return is done by land or by air?

Second question: when my 5-year driving licence was due to expire, I went to my local IO to get a certificate of residence. However, this was refused as, the agent explained, my visa allowed me to stay only 90 days at a time in Thailand. Is there any other route to obtain a residence doc so I can renew the licence?

11 minutes ago, paddlinsteve said:

First, last July I was given a Non-O visa (marriage) at the Consulate in Savannakhet. Do I understand rightly that if I depart the country before that visa expires in a few weeks and then return while it is still valid that I’ll be granted a further stay of 90 days? If so, does it matter whether that return is done by land or by air?

Second question: when my 5-year driving licence was due to expire, I went to my local IO to get a certificate of residence. However, this was refused as, the agent explained, my visa allowed me to stay only 90 days at a time in Thailand. Is there any other route to obtain a residence doc so I can renew the licence?

1) As long as you have a NON-O that remains valid, you will receive 90 days by air or land.
2) No current experience, but several years ago I attended Immigration for a Residence letter for drivers license too.  At the time it was totally backlogged, they told me to come back in 3 weeks.  So, I visited my Embassy (US) and obtained a letter there that was accepted to renew my license.  I suspect another poster will have more recent experience.

Good Luck .... :jap:

Edited by expat_4_life
  • Like 1

OP, yes exit and reenter prior to expiry of your non O ME visa and you will be stamped in for 90 days.

Re certificate of residence....seems you are dealing with CW immigration as that office requires you to have done a TM47 (90 day report) in order to obtain a COR. 

Passport country? Most embassies issue an address confirmation which is accepted as alternative to COR.

Also depends on which transport office you deal with for license. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, paddlinsteve said:

Either type of entry and you will be granted a further stay of 90 days.
You can also apply for a 60 day extension to that 90 days.

2 hours ago, NicoBKK said:

For the residence, try with your Embassy if you are registered there at current address and/or as expat living in the Kingdom.

I tried contacting American Citizen Services at the U.S. Embassy and they were kind

enough to reply promptly but unhelpfully:

Thank you for contacting ACS Bangkok,

Unfortunately, ACS doesn’t provide certificate of residence.

Regards,

American Citizens Services Unit
U.S. Embassy Bangkok
(PP)

Given the US Embassy turned you down on a residency letter, you could check with agents in your area to see if they can get your CoR for a "fee."  No guarantee - but can't hurt to ask around.  

At some immigration offices, a no-receipt "fee" changes the time it takes to get a CoR from weeks to a day.  The policy at your immigration office may have been created as a similar "fee" generation roadblock. 

4 hours ago, paddlinsteve said:

I tried contacting American Citizen Services at the U.S. Embassy and they were kind

Yes, I wanted to comment on this position taken by the embassy. I've been in the same boat as you for the past year. I'm applying a retirement extension next week, which will finally get me on the right track to getting my license renewed.

Good Luck to you with the Agent route.

21 hours ago, paddlinsteve said:

My local DLT (Buriram Province) will accept a letter from the local police station in lieu of a CoR to confirm your address when applying/renewing your license. You could try that approach.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, paddlinsteve said:

. However, this was refused as, the agent explained, my visa allowed me to stay only 90 days at a time in Thailand

Which immigration office? 

I went to our local police office here in Bang Yai (Nonthaburi) a couple of days ago and they brushed me off, saying that they don't issue certificates of residence for the purpose of driving licence renewal. It seems that either getting a "normal" Non-O or paying an agent are the only avenues open for me now.

On 6/11/2024 at 8:14 AM, paddlinsteve said:

I went to my local IO to get a certificate of residence. However, this was refused as, the agent explained, my visa allowed me to stay only 90 days at a time in Thailand.

Confused, did you attend in person or was it an agent.

Once you file a TM30 registering your residential address, there shouldn't be a problem requesting a certificate of residence as proof of your address.

I entered on a single entry Non O, filed a TM30 the following morning, then when they issued the receipt, I requested 3 certificates of residence, one to purchase a motorcycle, one to obtain a Thai driving licence and the third to open a bank account.

Your Non Imm O ME may only permit stays of 90 days (same as a Non Imm O SE) but it's valid for 1 year. 
You have Non Immigrant status and not a Tourist.

I'd be taking the issue up with the senior IO at Nonthaburi.

Your concern is appreciated. However, five years ago when I converted my two-year licence to a five-year one, I was told by my local Immigration Office to get a letter from my local police station and bring it to them to issue a certificate of residence. This time, due to the nature of the Non-O visa, I'm not considered a long-term resident of the country. Thus, they won't issue a TM.30 or a CoR. I'll wait a few more days and hope that when I go again I'll be talking to a different officer who will listen to reason.

On 6/11/2024 at 2:14 AM, paddlinsteve said:

That must just be a 'rule' at the office you deal with.  I've obtained several letters over the years confirming my residence from Korat immigration whilst on a multi non o.  They were just that though, a letter rather than any official certificate (500baht, no receipt).

As there is no real benefit from obtaining a multi now - i.e. you now need to show 400k in the bank for a multi, if possible you might as well go for a 12 month extension when your multi expires.

Edited by MangoKorat