Codeine

Mossfinn

I have received a PM asking can Codeine be bought over the counter without prescription.

As I have bought other pain killers over the counter but have only recently changed to Codeine, I am not sure of the answer.

I am not in Thailand.

Thanks in Advance.

I will respond to the PM if the poster doesn't see it here.

Regards

Moss

AFAIK it is supposed to be by prescription only in Thailand. However it can be readily bought over the counter in Cambodia, brand names Codalgin and Effergen (paracetemol + codeine) and Neocodicin (codeine only).

AFAIK it is supposed to be by prescription only in Thailand. However it can be readily bought over the counter in Cambodia, brand names Codalgin and Effergen (paracetemol + codeine) and Neocodicin (codeine only).

Thanks Sheryl, for the info.

Moss

I have only gotten codeine in Thailand on doctor's prescription, recovering from surgery.

Thanks for the Response PB

Moss

Codeine was available from Pharmacies until 3 years ago. Now only from Hospitals and Clinics.

Cheers

Thanks Percy.

All the responses surprise me though, I would have thought it would be available over the counter, I am glad I asked now. :o

For future reference.

Moss

dont be so quick about cambodia. i twiste dmy ankle badly last year in one of the temples in cambodia. my friend went in to buy some codine for me as we were going out by land and i would have to do some walking - HUGE pain.

anyway... he was even buying an ace bandage and only wanted a few capsules. the first stuff was nothing (he father a chemist so he knew), second was also unimpressive (codine and paracet. i took as many as i dared but was not enough to kill the pain.

im sure there are scores of places you can get codine - but that was my experience.

i doubt most places in thailand even stock it outside hospital in thailand, indonesia - forget it. i couldnt even get a sleeping tab w/o a script.

Edited by theseveredhead

yes kodeine is almost impossibel to get here under/over the counter with out paper from doctor....

But . . Tramadol "Tiparol" HCI 50mg can get almost every were for a cheap price.... good for kill hard pain . better then voltaren i think .. .

yes kodeine is almost impossibel to get here under/over the counter with out paper from doctor....

But . . Tramadol "Tiparol" HCI 50mg can get almost every were for a cheap price.... good for kill hard pain . better then voltaren i think .. .

You're right Tramadol can be quite effective, but be careful with it, if you are not used to it, it can bowl you over.

Diclofenac ( Voltarol ) is generally used as an anti-imflamatory although I believe it is still drug of choice for women in Labour.

Another useless bit of trivia.

Moss

dont be so quick about cambodia. i twiste dmy ankle badly last year in one of the temples in cambodia. my friend went in to buy some codine for me as we were going out by land and i would have to do some walking - HUGE pain.

anyway... he was even buying an ace bandage and only wanted a few capsules. the first stuff was nothing (he father a chemist so he knew), second was also unimpressive (codine and paracet. i took as many as i dared but was not enough to kill the pain.

im sure there are scores of places you can get codine - but that was my experience.

i doubt most places in thailand even stock it outside hospital in thailand, indonesia - forget it. i couldnt even get a sleeping tab w/o a script.

You need to be cautrious about where you buy drugs in Cambodia, as counterfeits abound. Also most shops don't have proper a/c and meds are easily heat inactivated.

Codeine alone and in combo with para is readily available, you do need to note the strength. Ordinary Codaligin is only 8mg codeine plus 500 mg, but Codalgin Forte is 30mg codeine plus 500 para, 2 of these deliver 60 mg codeine plus 1 gm para, if codeine is going to work for you at all that will do it (provided it's real and not fake, expired or heat inactivated).

The most reliable pharmacy in Cambodia is Pharmacie de la Gare, altho it is pricier than others all their drugs are real and properly stored.

The various anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) will be of considerable helop for something like a sprain, perhaps more so thatn codeine in that in addition to reducing the sensation of pain they actually help reduce the inflammation which is causing the pain...codeine and para do not do this, they only mask the pain for aa few hours. Can combine the anti-inflammaotries with cocsxeine and/or para if necessary. The only caution is that the NSAIDs can irritate the stomach and need to be taken with food, and should not use if you have an ulcer or gastritis or bleeding disorder.(On the other hand, in addition to being addictivem, codeine is constipating and in some people causes nausea).

Edited by Sheryl

• 2 weeks later...