Wonders Of Modern Technology!

This is probably not news to a lot of people, but if it helps anyone out there (i.e. Someone like myself) then all well and good.

For the past 4 years, I have been unable to get internet access at home - reason being, we have no telephone lines in our village (It is a Tam Boen as well, not a Moo Bah!)

The other villages that make up the Tam Boen all have telephones and have had these for many years...something is wrong here eh?

Anyway, the only way I could get the net until recently was to drive to the next large town (15Km) or try and borrow a connection from friends in the next village- pain in the ass or what, just to catch up on an e mail - the ammount of times all my messages have been cleared from Hotmail for not logging in enough well.... another pain in the ass.

I even had thoughts about the satellite internet connection, but luckily never bothered.

What I did find out, by buying an up to date mobile phone, and calling AIS, putting 535baht on a prepaid card,(I use the mobile as a MODEM via USB connection) I now have internet almost constantly (535 Baht gets me 15000 minutes per month), this, is around 2 Baht per hour, no 3 baht connection charges, nothing else to p

y, no internet service card to buy nothing. The speed at the moment is almost as good as a telephone line, and if t

e EDGE technology arrives, it should be even quicker. Hold my breath for 3G.

I never even thought of trying this, as at first I thought the cost on a mobile would be ridiculous, so I never bothered, it was only when a Thai friend told me one of her friends uses a mobile via bluetooth to connect to the internet that I actually started looking.

Whilst it is by no means ADSL, it is a perfectly good service, I have never had a connectionb dropped in two months of use, unlike the land lines which dropped very frequently.

The other benefit is, you get e mail and internet on the road with the mobile phone too, which is quite good!

So if you know any unfortunate person that is like myself and a bit behind on the technological advances, let them know, you can get the web anywhere and it needn't cost an arm and a leg.

This is probably not news to a lot of people, but if it helps anyone out there (i.e. Someone like myself) then all well and good.

For the past 4 years, I have been unable to get internet access at home - reason being, we have no telephone lines in our village (It is a Tam Boen as well, not a Moo Bah!)

The other villages that make up the Tam Boen all have telephones and have had these for many years...something is wrong here eh?

Anyway, the only way I could get the net until recently was to drive to the next large town (15Km) or try and borrow a connection from friends in the next village- pain in the ass or what, just to catch up on an e mail - the ammount of times all my messages have been cleared from Hotmail for not logging in enough well.... another pain in the ass.

I even had thoughts about the satellite internet connection, but luckily never bothered.

What I did find out, by buying an up to date mobile phone, and calling AIS, putting 535baht on a prepaid card,(I use the mobile as a MODEM via USB connection) I now have internet almost constantly (535 Baht gets me 15000 minutes per month), this, is around 2 Baht per hour, no 3 baht connection charges, nothing else to p

y, no internet service card to buy nothing. The speed at the moment is almost as good as a telephone line, and if t

e EDGE technology arrives, it should be even quicker. Hold my breath for 3G.

I never even thought of trying this, as at first I thought the cost on a mobile would be ridiculous, so I never bothered, it was only when a Thai friend told me one of her friends uses a mobile via bluetooth to connect to the internet that I actually started looking.

Whilst it is by no means ADSL, it is a perfectly good service, I have never had a connectionb dropped in two months of use, unlike the land lines which dropped very frequently.

The other benefit is, you get e mail and internet on the road with the mobile phone too, which is quite good!

So if you know any unfortunate person that is like myself and a bit behind on the technological advances, let them know, you can get the web anywhere and it needn't cost an arm and a leg.

I think there is some sort of sattelite internet service available from Loxinfo, but you may be to far out in the 'boonies" for it.