Simple Pleasures

siamamerican

It's Saturday night in America and I'm imagining what I would be doing in Thailand. A little too old to hit the bars with the wife and nothing too exciting to offer anyhow. Went out to dinner, dropped a $100 and caught a movie. I'm living the good life, but nothing compared to Thailand.

I had better times in Thailand just going to a noodle stand and people watching. I lived in Thailand for 4 years and always looked forward to next day.

Why is everything in Thailand more exciting?

It's Saturday night in America and I'm imagining what I would be doing in Thailand. A little too old to hit the bars with the wife and nothing too exciting to offer anyhow. Went out to dinner, dropped a $100 and caught a movie. I'm living the good life, but nothing compared to Thailand.

I had better times in Thailand just going to a noodle stand and people watching. I lived in Thailand for 4 years and always looked forward to next day.

In one word "chaos".. Thats really why we all love it.. :o

As a thai, I have found America much more exciting for me at night than thailand.

Just ordered my bathtub faucets, 14 sets of doorknob, and 35 sq ft of glass tile for my new home right after midnight here via internet! Something I can't do in thailand.

Edited by teacup

Meh. I think there's much more to do in the states.

More isn't always better. Why are you living in Thailand and not in the states?

Eh, I know. I'm just really into going to shows and such, and the music scene for my genre here is somewhat non-existant. :o

I think it's easier to live here, and that trumps the importance of concerts, I just wish I could have the best of both worlds, but who doesn't, eh?

As a thai, I have found America much more exciting for me at night than thailand.

Just ordered my bathtub faucets, 14 sets of doorknob, and 35 sq ft of glass tile for my new home right after midnight here via internet! Something I can't do in thailand.

Happy to hear your enjoying America. Buying bathtub faucets is definitely a simple pleasure. Doesn't do it for me though. I'll take unpredictability of Thailand.

Best wishes

When I was younger it was ok, but now….NO…I don’t know if I can live in Thailand for a longhaul anymore. All that humidity, hectic and chaotic TRAFFIC everyday in BKK really drive me nuts! Most drivers don't drive, but just aim their vehicles in the intended direction. Nah.. too scary for me unless I believe in reincarnation which I do not.

The only downside here in the states is…..there’s a sea nearby but you can't go swimming in it because if you do you either will freeze to death, or you would get eaten by a sea lion! But all in all I just absolute love the 4 seasons here.

Yes I agree if you like a more unpredictable or less structured environment, then Thailand could be one of the place.

New Years Day at Boltenhagen beach on the Baltic Coast, temperature about -15°C.

As a Brit I'd never seen sand frozen rock solid or icebreakers cruising the coast.

Thousands of Germans congregate there and party while a robust group of fools goes for a swim.

When I was younger it was ok, but now….NO…I don’t know if I can live in Thailand for a longhaul anymore. All that humidity, hectic and chaotic TRAFFIC everyday in BKK really drive me nuts! Most drivers don't drive, but just aim their vehicles in the intended direction. Nah.. too scary for me unless I believe in reincarnation which I do not.

The only downside here in the states is…..there’s a sea nearby but you can't go swimming in it because if you do you either will freeze to death, or you would get eaten by a sea lion! But all in all I just absolute love the 4 seasons here.

Yes I agree if you like a more unpredictable or less structured environment, then Thailand could be one of the place.

There's more to Thailand than Bangkok.

Just need to explore

cheers

onzestan

New Years Day at Boltenhagen beach on the Baltic Coast, temperature about -15°C.

As a Brit I'd never seen sand frozen rock solid or icebreakers cruising the coast.

Thousands of Germans congregate there and party while a robust group of fools goes for a swim.

Both Serpentine and Brighton have swimmers at Christmas.

And ice-breakers do patrol parts of the North Sea coast some winters - I used to see them when on patrol in the RAF Air-Sea Rescue helicopters.

But frozen beach - only Whitby in midsummer :o

The grass is always greener (for a while anyway).

:D

It seems to me that it depends on the person and what he/she is looking for. It also depends on where you live (city or suburb, province or countryside), and also to the degree of exoticness (to the viewer).

Anything can be interesting until you get used to it (settle into a routine), and then it matters what you can get to meet your needs on a daily basis. Even in Bankgok I think I would be frustrated by not being able to get some of the things I like (because of availability or cost).

On the other hand, I'm glad that Thailand offers a culture with values that are different. The more I learn about it (especially through the language) the more I can gain from what it has to offer that I can't get anywhere else.

I think that is what makes it worthwhile being here. I also appreciate seeing the US through different eyes. I wish every American had a chance to do that. :o

Edited by Upcountry

Excellent Original Post.

I can very much relate to these feelings.

In one word "chaos".. Thats really why we all love it.. :o

I feel that to be quite correct, in my experience and humble opinion.

Just being able to step out onto your local high street and not know what to expect, yet are entirely ready for a filled day of random events and observations that are totally revelatory.

Great if you are into faucets & doorknobs. I can think of a few things available in Thailand during most hours of the day or night, that if you tried to aquire them in the great USA, you might get your picture in the newspaper or internet page as an illicit customer & lawbreaker.

A Thai might find America more exciting.

For the great food or the women? The natural landscape beauty is certainly more varied in USA, ie without the people. The ability to earn more money might also be more exciting.

When I was younger it was ok, but now….NO…I don't know if I can live in Thailand for a longhaul anymore. All that humidity, hectic and chaotic TRAFFIC everyday in BKK really drive me nuts! Most drivers don't drive, but just aim their vehicles in the intended direction. Nah.. too scary for me unless I believe in reincarnation which I do not.

The only downside here in the states is…..there's a sea nearby but you can't go swimming in it because if you do you either will freeze to death, or you would get eaten by a sea lion! But all in all I just absolute love the 4 seasons here.

Absolutely agree ! Khun 'teacup',

We retired from NY and moved South four years ago. I found myself happy with this decision. Like you, in my younger days I couldn't stop thinking about the day when hubby retires and we would move back to live in the country of my birth-LOS.

But in latest years that feeling has changed. For good.

Although I still take annual trip back home to see closed members of families (attend wedding or funeral), childhood friends, college friends and enjoy our Thai spicy dishes. After the novelty worn off (I'd say within 2 weeks), I start dreaming about my daily life at home in Florida.

Every Westerner I met, I never fail to complement them on living a life of their own in LOS: Consider the pollution ( both air& water), the snare traffic, extreme high humidity, not counting the language and culture barrier, hardly a life you had imagined.

Simple pleasure? being able to sit outside at night and see stars :D , no traffic noise :D , being woken every morning by the mutt wanting out at four thirty :o

Yes. That's for me, too, Draggons. It's almost time for shooting star season, isn't it?

Also, shopping at the morning market and finding baby asparagus. Donuts and Thai coffee for Bt8. Chicken kebobs for the dogs (Bt5 each).

Swimming the length of Maenam Beach (before it got so polluted by resort sewers) and having my dogs paddle out to "rescue" me.

Using a loooooong bamboo pole to get fruit out of the trees for Mama, the landlady.

Having a visit from an exotic bird I've never seen before.

Teacup, your Internet shopping for faucets beg the question, are they 14 karat gold? :D

Simple pleasure? being able to sit outside at night and see stars :D , no traffic noise :D , being woken every morning by the mutt wanting out at four thirty :D

Oh my ! That's exactly what I've been doing; star gazing.

draggons,

it's full moon tonight. :o

Moon lights on the lake, I couldn't trade for a million bucks.

Beyond the "exotic" factor of whatever is new and different to each of us, my feeling about Asia in general is that is the "New World", a place filled with ambition and vitality in a way that the placid West no longer is.

That's what I like about Thailand -- the roughness of it, the endless hustle and ambition, people eager to get ahead, to make something of themselves. Even the bargirls that so many people look down on -- I admire their hunger, their nerve, their ruthlessness, their desire to improve their situation by whatever means they can.

I think of Europe as a old man -- comfortable in what he has achieved, savoring the memory of past victories, wanting to hold on to the gains of the past, and of North America as someone middle aged -- set in her ways, comfortable, having a good idea of what her future will hold.

Whereas Asia to me is like a tumultuous teenager -- full of promise and hope, with the future yet to be decided -- it could all turn out amazing, it could still all go horribly wrong.

Beyond the "exotic" factor of whatever is new and different to each of us, my feeling about Asia in general is that is the "New World", a place filled with ambition and vitality in a way that the placid West no longer is.

That's what I like about Thailand -- the roughness of it, the endless hustle and ambition, people eager to get ahead, to make something of themselves. Even the bargirls that so many people look down on -- I admire their hunger, their nerve, their ruthlessness, their desire to improve their situation by whatever means they can.

I think of Europe as a old man -- comfortable in what he has achieved, savoring the memory of past victories, wanting to hold on to the gains of the past, and of North America as someone middle aged -- set in her ways, comfortable, having a good idea of what her future will hold.

Whereas Asia to me is like a tumultuous teenager -- full of promise and hope, with the future yet to be decided -- it could all turn out amazing, it could still all go horribly wrong.

That was very well put :D

Honestly, I would go crazy living in Thailand 12 months a year and Bangkok, I would be dead in 6 months. Might be the way to go if I only had 6 months to live. :o I like "my" food and sports and a great many things in the U.S of A but come the first snowflake and im outta here. Six months here and six months there would be just right ...for me. Now if I could only afford it.

The grass is greener on the other side... just remember you can have BOTH sides if you want. As I recall you're a decent earner, and keeping a home in both countries shouldn't be a problem for you financially. My folks still keep their stateside home and I still keep my condo and go back once a year.

-Longhorn and Ranger baseball games, gals in Jeeps wearing Umbros/t-shirts/baseball caps, that chirp of the radar/laser detector on your dash to remind you that 100 Baht isn't going to get you out anything, real Internet shopping as mentioned, water skiing, having political conversations that likely won't end in gunplay, 50 different things related to food...

-watching and openly betting on soccer matches in bars/beer gardens, gals professionally bathing you a few times a week, driving 160-170 kph on the motorway (or even in Bangkok at night), being driven around when you don't feel like driving, living in homes that are dusted and wiped down daily, having to actually use and touch cash in banking without the teller inquiring what you do for a living, 50 different things related to food...

IMO it'll keep you (and your family if that applies) in better balance as well.

:o

Edited by Heng

The grass is greener on the other side... just remember you can have BOTH sides if you want. As I recall you're a decent earner, and keeping a home in both countries shouldn't be a problem for you financially. My folks still keep their stateside home and I still keep my condo and go back once a year.

-Longhorn and Ranger baseball games, gals in Jeeps wearing Umbros/t-shirts/baseball caps, that chirp of the radar/laser detector on your dash to remind you that 100 Baht isn't going to get you out anything, real Internet shopping as mentioned, water skiing, having political conversations that likely won't end in gunplay, 50 different things related to food...

-watching and openly betting on soccer matches in bars/beer gardens, gals professionally bathing you a few times a week, driving 160-170 kph on the motorway (or even in Bangkok at night), being driven around when you don't feel like driving, living in homes that are dusted and wiped down daily, having to actually use and touch cash in banking without the teller inquiring what you do for a living, 50 different things related to food...

IMO it'll keep you (and your family if that applies) in better balance as well.

:o

I get the grass is always greener. Many mistakenly make choices without taking a good look at who they are. In most cases this ends badly. I'm reasonably well adjusted and enjoy most days in the states.

I've spent a lot of time in quite a few countries, enjoying most of them. Thailand though was by far the most fulfilling. The unpredictability and constant energy is addictive.

I agree, having a residence in both countries would be ideal. I'm definitely not up to the sacrifices it would take to make this a reality. I respect your accomplishments, but financially I'm not as well off as you. My current earnings are substantial, but to pull off dual residences would take another few years. This will be viewed as myopic to some, but for me the benefits of moving now out way working for a few more years.

Also, moving to Thailand isn't void of financial opportunities. Might even work in limited capacity for my current employer or another international company. In the end, I'm confident I will be financially secure and most likely, not wealthy.

Good post and I respect your accomplishments. Now you're reaping the benefits of a successful life.