Visa run to Kualalumpur to get Tourist Visa and Convert into Non Immigrant Visa

Our (Me, wife and kid) current Non Immigrant visa is being cancelled on 30 June (No chance of extension. Employer denied.) After that I have 7 days to leave the country. 

Nationality: Indian

God plays in mysterious way. I have got job offer with another company in Bangkok. Formal offer has been sent on email.

Lets assume I get official offer by end of next week, before 28 June. New company may take 2-3 weeks to process the visa on their end.

Since I have to leave the country before 7 July. I believe, I have less time for switch/extend visa/workpermit to new company.

👉 We are planning to fly ✈️✈️ to Kualalumpur to get sticker tourist visa of 60 days and fly back to Thailand.

👉 My question is once I re-enter Thailand with 60 days tourist sticker visa, can that be converted into Non-immigrant B (for me) and Non-immigrant O (wife and kids).

👉 Is there anything I could plan better. 

👉Could you please share you experience with Thai Embassy of Kualalumpur.

ℹ️If it matters my current and future employer both are BOI listed. Visa and Work permits will be handled at One Stop Service Center, Chamchuri Square, Bangkok.

I can not do Laos border run, as I will be going with my wife and a toddler. Overnight van journey with toddler could be bit challenging and uncomfortable.

Edited by akda

Well the good news is Indian passport holders are not on the list of countries that require special processing time.

The thai consulate in K/L is a mandatory appt booked online consulate to get in the gate. You do that at this link
Online Appt Booking Kuala Lumpur

Also while they're not hard core, they are certainly no nonsense as far as meeting the requirements for the visa you're applying for.  So definitely go to the website and read the tourist visa requirements carefully and meet those criteria
Tourist Visa Kuala Lumpur

𝗠𝘆 𝗾𝘂𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗶𝘀 𝗼𝗻𝗰𝗲 𝗜 𝗿𝗲-𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗮𝗶𝗹𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝟲𝟬 𝗱𝗮𝘆𝘀 𝘁𝗼𝘂𝗿𝗶𝘀𝘁 𝘀𝘁𝗶𝗰𝗸𝗲𝗿 𝘃𝗶𝘀𝗮, 𝗰𝗮𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗯𝗲 𝗰𝗼𝗻𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗼 𝗡𝗼𝗻-𝗶𝗺𝗺𝗶𝗴𝗿𝗮𝗻𝘁 𝗕 (𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗺𝗲) 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗡𝗼𝗻-𝗶𝗺𝗺𝗶𝗴𝗿𝗮𝗻𝘁 𝗢 (𝘄𝗶𝗳𝗲 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗸𝗶𝗱𝘀).
That is gonna 100% be up to your employer and they should already know if you can or can't get that Non-B and then the Non-O's for the family issued in country before you even contemplate going

Keep in mind, right now indian passport holders get stamped in free entry for 30 days AND they can get a 30 day extension on that as well.

Now to be completely honest, I don't know whether you can convert those entry stamps in country to a Non-B/Non-O or not (some nationalities who are on promotions for extended entry stamps cannot do in country conversion to a Non-Immigrant visa on those entry stamps). ..

Check with your new employer to see if you can just bounce out/back and do the switch from the free entry stamp.

As a rule there's not problem going from a visa exempt 30 day or 60 day tourist visa entry to an in country Non-Immigrant type visa at the immigration office.

Unless I'm mistaken if you're in Bangkok you, being a BOI company employee, would get your Non-B at Cham Churi Square One Stop Service Center but your wife and child would go to Chaengwattana to get the Non-O visa based on trailing spouse of a foreigner legally working here and child of a foreigner working here after you got your Non-B issued.

Edited by Tod Daniels
  • Love It 1

On 6/19/2024 at 1:15 PM, Tod Daniels said:

Well the good news is Indian passport holders are not on the list of countries that require special processing time.

The thai consulate in K/L is a mandatory appt booked online consulate to get in the gate. You do that at this link
Online Appt Booking Kuala Lumpur

Also while they're not hard core, they are certainly no nonsense as far as meeting the requirements for the visa you're applying for.  So definitely go to the website and read the tourist visa requirements carefully and meet those criteria
Tourist Visa Kuala Lumpur

𝗠𝘆 𝗾𝘂𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗶𝘀 𝗼𝗻𝗰𝗲 𝗜 𝗿𝗲-𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗮𝗶𝗹𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝟲𝟬 𝗱𝗮𝘆𝘀 𝘁𝗼𝘂𝗿𝗶𝘀𝘁 𝘀𝘁𝗶𝗰𝗸𝗲𝗿 𝘃𝗶𝘀𝗮, 𝗰𝗮𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗯𝗲 𝗰𝗼𝗻𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗼 𝗡𝗼𝗻-𝗶𝗺𝗺𝗶𝗴𝗿𝗮𝗻𝘁 𝗕 (𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗺𝗲) 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗡𝗼𝗻-𝗶𝗺𝗺𝗶𝗴𝗿𝗮𝗻𝘁 𝗢 (𝘄𝗶𝗳𝗲 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗸𝗶𝗱𝘀).
That is gonna 100% be up to your employer and they should already know if you can or can't get that Non-B and then the Non-O's for the family issued in country before you even contemplate going

Keep in mind, right now indian passport holders get stamped in free entry for 30 days AND they can get a 30 day extension on that as well.

Now to be completely honest, I don't know whether you can convert those entry stamps in country to a Non-B/Non-O or not (some nationalities who are on promotions for extended entry stamps cannot do in country conversion to a Non-Immigrant visa on those entry stamps). ..

Check with your new employer to see if you can just bounce out/back and do the switch from the free entry stamp.

As a rule there's not problem going from a visa exempt 30 day or 60 day tourist visa entry to an in country Non-Immigrant type visa at the immigration office.

Unless I'm mistaken if you're in Bangkok you, being a BOI company employee, would get your Non-B at Cham Churi Square One Stop Service Center but your wife and child would go to Chaengwattana to get the Non-O visa based on trailing spouse of a foreigner legally working here and child of a foreigner working here after you got your Non-B issued.

Hi Tod, just one point - I am BOI employee since 12 years, I did change 2 companies in the meantime and in the change with new WP/Cancellation of old Visa / Stamp of new Visa did manage to do all in one day at Chamchuri. My wife and kids did always get their annual Visa at Chamchuri Square too, with me. Companies always organized Visa renewal with lawyer firm.