Is NATO Ready for War? An In-Depth Assessment of Defense and Deterrence

Social Media

On 6/21/2024 at 6:17 PM, jts-khorat said:

One would really think the world really does not need a Germany that takes re-arming itself serious.

Germans are goal-oriented. If there is an armed military, sooner or later the populace will ask why that much money was spent if it is then not "used". Already there is a serious problem with right-leaning rhetoric, but few tools to act on it on a world stage.

I wish that Germany stays as it is: it pays for everybodies armaments, but keeps out of the business of having them itself.

And I say that, being German.

the Germans were content to mooch off of everybody else and pretend to be green while they sucked their energy out of Nordstream. Funny how that exploded inexplicably. Germany wouldn't exist if left to it's own devices. America rebuilt it and they have never done much since. They have a handful of good companies but that's about it.

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Trump was instrumental in helping Poland do this. They were even going to name a base after him. Plland has always been a very strong Poland first type of place they have been effed with a lot. I lived there for nearly a decade. 

The poles aren’t stupid they know they had to kiss the felons ass 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Why even bother saying something so asinine? Sometimes it can be wiser to let people think you are stupid than open your mouth and confirm it.

Naa that’s how you handle a mentally illl narcissist if you need something you flatter fluff and kiss the rear end I’m amazed you don’t realize that 

6 minutes ago, Tug said:

Naa that’s how you handle a mentally illl narcissist if you need something you flatter fluff and kiss the rear end I’m amazed you don’t realize that 

no, Poland realized their alternative was to rely on places like Germany for their security. Ever wonder why there are some trust issues there? poland is also aware of who supplied the energy requirements for the EU. That would be Russia. When i lived in Poland it was record cold and Russia was playing games with the pipelines back then. Poland embraced America because it was the best offer.

this is in part a reason why the USA was able to stage the war in Ukraine as limited as our help has been.

Edited by Cryingdick

5 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

no, Poland realized their alternative was to rely on places like Germany for their security. Ever wonder why there are some trust issues there? poland is also aware of how supplied the energy requirements for the EU. That would be Russia. When i lived in Poland it was record cold and Russia was playing games with the pipelines back then. Poland embraced America because it was the best offer.

Yup they know how to thrive obviously it ain’t under the Russian boot 🥾 

On 6/21/2024 at 8:35 AM, Social Media said:

This shift marked a significant moment for the alliance, with allies committing to various measures to enhance their collective defense capabilities at the 2022 Madrid Summit. As NATO leaders gather in Washington for the alliance’s 75th anniversary summit, it is crucial to evaluate the progress made in bolstering NATO's defense capabilities.

Has Britain got any aircraft carriers that work now? Do they even have enough sailors if they do work?

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Has Britain got any aircraft carriers that work now? Do they even have enough sailors if they do work?

A better question might be do aircraft carriers remain relevant? I know that all simulations have China sinking our entire fleet with hyper-sonic missiles if we come anywhere close (think 1,000 miles here) to their shores. We could ask the same question of the US military about battlefield readiness. NATO had better wake up because the USA military is in sharp decline. This combined with technological advancements that change the nature if how war will be conducted is concerning.

The days of depending on the USA having your back are coming to an end. Our military is in decline, we can't afford to really make a war and our leadership is wonky at best. Nobody in their right mind is joining the forces these days either. This really makes NATO have a much diminished capacity. 

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

A better question might be do aircraft carriers remain relevant? I know that all simulations have China sinking our entire fleet with hyper-sonic missiles if we come anywhere close (think 1,000 miles here) to their shores. We could ask the same question of the US military about battlefield readiness. NATO had better wake up because the USA military is in sharp decline. This combined with technological advancements that change the nature if how war will be conducted is concerning.

The days of depending on the USA having your back are coming to an end. Our military is in decline, we can't afford to really make a war and our leadership is wonky at best. Nobody in their right mind is joining the forces these days either. This really makes NATO have a much diminished capacity. 

Given the ease with which drones and missiles have changed the battlefield, they will have to develop a solution, else war as we know it will be history, and fought by autonomous machines- what could possibly go wrong with that?

Nobody in their right mind is joining the forces these days either.

Ain't that the truth. Given western countries make being unemployed a career choice, that's not going to change.

I loved being in the military, and it gave me skills I use all the time since I left it, but in the end, a peace time military eats itself and gets taken over by the incompetents, so I got out.

Seems it hasn't changed much given how many are leaving it in NZ. It's so insignificant now that I wouldn't even know we still had one, except for news articles on the radio about how the airforce can't find a plane that works to take the PM overseas

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given the ease with which drones and missiles have changed the battlefield, they will have to develop a solution, else war as we know it will be history, and fought by autonomous machines- what could possibly go wrong with that?

Nobody in their right mind is joining the forces these days either.

Ain't that the truth. Given western countries make being unemployed a career choice, that's not going to change.

I loved being in the military, and it gave me skills I use all the time since I left it, but in the end, a peace time military eats itself and gets taken over by the incompetents, so I got out.

Seems it hasn't changed much given how many are leaving it in NZ. It's so insignificant now that I wouldn't even know we still had one, except for news articles on the radio about how the airforce can't find a plane that works to take the PM overseas

it is getting to be more of a financial and personnel's issue. Nobody wants to go to Iraq to dig up an IED on the side of the road and get their head shattered as Afghanis hang on a plane. Financially smaller countries are baiting us into sending million dollar missiles into drones they bought on ali baba. We simultaneously arm our "allies" limit them to a stalemate and then spend a quarter of a billion dollars to make a seaport to supply their enemies which never worked and is now dissambled.

Nobody wants to risk their life or the thought of coming home in one piece to hug their wife and kids. Serving the interest in the USA debt costs more than our entire  military budget.

1 hour ago, Cryingdick said:

We simultaneously arm our "allies" limit them to a stalemate and then spend a quarter of a billion dollars to make a seaport to supply their enemies which never worked and is now dissambled.

IMO it was never supposed to work. It was supposed to shut up those that pointed out that the US was colluding in starving the population, but it would never have provided anywhere near enough supplies. Only a few trucks used it in its brief existence. Had Biden been serious they could send a very large landing craft that doesn't need a pier. I assume the US still has some of those. It does alarm some of us that are amazed the US Corps of Engineers can't build a pier fit for purpose.

Didn't make sense that Biden didn't force netanyahu to allow the hundreds of trucks waiting at the land crossings, and does nothing much when settlers destroy the supplies. IMO Biden is as much to blame as netanyahu, and is colluding all the way.