Tourist extension at Surat Thani

Hi. I'm an American, I came in on June 11 visa exempt. I had hoped they'd be giving the 60-day stamp by then, but no... got a 30-day stamp. I'll need to do a 30-day extension to cover my stay. Currently in BKK but I hate going to that main immigration office. We'll be in Surat Thani in a couple of weeks. How is it there? Can I walk in with just my passport and get an extension? Will I have to fight with Chinese trying to cut the line, or IO's making up new rules? I used to do this in Hua Hin at the BluPort mall, and it was in-and-out in like 10 minutes. Can I hope for a similar experience in Surat Thani? Thank you 

• Sad 1

60 day entry didn't start yet, although it was approved by the thai cabinet, so you got stamped in for the correct number of days

Just so you're clear IF you decide to get the extension in Bangkok you DO NOT go to the main immigration office in Building B at the Government Complex on Chaengwattana Road, 😮

Because you came in free entry stamp you would go to the immigration office located at IT Square Laksi Plaza at this location.
IT Square Laksi Plaza

Keep in mind Surat Thani province has FOUR different Immigration offices so whether you go to the main on IN Surat Thani town, the one on Koh Samui the one the "Island of Misfit Toyz" aka Koh Phangan or the one on "Turtle Island" Koh Tao

https://suratthani.imm.police.go.th/contact/

No one can predict how long it will take to get your extension, at ANY immigration office, comes down to luck of the draw and how big the zombie horde is there when you show up .

Get your ducks in a row, have the correct signed copies, the filled out form the passport photo stuck on and you should be able to skate thru pretty painlessly.

I would avoid going on a Monday or Friday or the day after a holiday no matter what office you choose 

Edited by Tod Daniels
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, USNret said:

Can I walk in with just my passport and get an extension?

No.

You require a TM7 + Photo + photocopies of basic pages of pp + TM30+ 1900b 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/21/2024 at 5:03 AM, Tod Daniels said:

No one can predict how long it will take to get your extension, at ANY immigration office, comes down to luck of the draw and how big the zombie horde is there when you show up .

I can predict my experience for Samui (I'm resident): If not many then about one hour or less; if many, then around a couple of hours. The immigration office (it's in Maenam Soi 1) is less busy about an hour after lunch; i.e., if coming about 2 pm for a queue number and document check with prefilled form (must be the paper-form supplied by the office and available downstairs), signed photocopies and passport size photo.

On 6/21/2024 at 5:05 AM, DrJack54 said:

No.

You require a TM7 + Photo + photocopies of basic pages of pp + TM30+ 1900b 

If OP use the Koh Samui-immigration office, they didn't care about TM30-copy for a 30-day extension back in February; but of course always best to bring one, the document checker will just hand the photocopy of the unwanted TM30 back.