Are these numbers for real????????

3 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Not being rude in any way but I think you may be imagining it if you think you can feel a difference between 32 and 34psi.

Not imagining anything mate.

When I received the truck I could feel straight away that the steering wheel needed some force to turn. First thought it might be the new rack  that has to run in.

So went to check pressure and they had set it to 29psi all around. Changed it to 34 and steering wheel was fine, but then i noticed car was bouncing.

Went back and changed to 32psi and while bouncing still exist, it was less.

Maybe it is because of all new rubbers and it needs a few hundred km to settle

• Haha 1

Firstly, new racks don't need 'running in'. You would only ever notice a difference if you fitted a new steering rack if the old one had been faulty.

Secondly, in a different world I'd line up a selection of trucks - some with tyre pressures of 32psi and some with 34psi.  I'd then take bets on whether you could tell which truck had which psi and be confident of winning.

If the truck was bouncing after you fitted the new ball joints, it was bouncing before. Ball joints are under constant load - worn ball joints will affect steering and may knock, they won't make a truck 'bounce' more or less.

However, when you talk about 'ball joints' - are you refering to the upper and lower suspension joints that are commonly known as 'ball joints' or something different?  I note that Americans often use different names for vehicle parts than the rest of the world does - i.e. they call brake discs 'rotors'.

But then, I was only a mechanic for close on 30 years, what would I know?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Firstly, new racks don't need 'running in'. You would only ever notice a difference if you fitted a new steering rack if the old one had been faulty.

Secondly, in a different world I'd line up a selection of trucks - some with tyre pressures of 32psi and some with 34psi.  I'd then take bets on whether you could tell which truck had which psi and be confident of winning.

If the truck was bouncing after you fitted the new ball joints, it was bouncing before. Ball joints are under constant load - worn ball joints will affect steering and may knock, they won't make a truck 'bounce' more or less.

However, when you talk about 'ball joints' - are you refering to the upper and lower suspension joints that are commonly known as 'ball joints' or something different?  I note that Americans often use different names for vehicle parts than the rest of the world does - i.e. they call brake discs 'rotors'.

But then, I was only a mechanic for close on 30 years, what would I know?

I only post my experience, I never said that you were wrong, so get off your soapbox.

Bouncing may actually be the wrong expression, it is more like the truck feels stiffer than before.

I changed steering rack and tie rods, upper and lower ball joints, all 8 cabin mounts, rear leaf spring rubbers and front stabilizer links

• Haha 2

That will take the looseness out of the ride. I’ve replaced all the rubber bits on the front end of my suv with similar results.

• Thanks 1