Chiang Mai Monk in Car Accident Raises Driving Debate

webfact

image.jpeg

A monk from a renowned temple in Chiang Mai was involved in a car accident yesterday, sparking an uproar about the appropriateness of monks driving vehicles. The incident occurred at 4.20 pm near the bypass intersection in San Sai District when his Honda Civic collided with a van, resulting in injuries to two people.

Emergency services from Maekhu Subdistrict Municipality and police from Mae Faek Police Station responded to the scene. Upon arrival, they discovered the front of the Honda severely damaged.

The monk, originating from a temple in Mae Taeng District, sat inside, covering his face with his saffron robe and suffering from chest pain. Emergency responders transported him to Bangkok Hospital Chiang Mai for further treatment.

The van carried a couple who suffered minor injuries. They were travelling to Phrao District to collect the husband’s mother, who required transportation to a hospital in Chiang Mai for treatment today.

The quick response from rescue teams ensured that the elderly woman's treatment was not delayed, as they promptly arranged alternative transport to the hospital.

Police have documented the accident scene and impounded both vehicles for further investigation.

The incident has ignited conversations among locals, primarily focussing on the suitability of monks driving cars, given that it is generally seen as a violation of monk discipline. Traditionally, monks are expected to lead a simple life, devoid of luxuries, to maintain focus on spiritual practices.

Picture courtesy: Springer/PPTV

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-06-22

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

Yes, I vote for a special car licence for monks.
But what do we do about training in terms of a motorbike licence, with those long dresses it will be a bit more difficult.

• Agree 2

Monk in Car Accident Raises Driving Debate

No need for a debate, Monks shouldn't be driving and having I phones and  money in the bank .

Monks aren't suppose to have  any possession except.  

The Bhikkhus are only allowed 4 items (other than their robes): a razor, a sewing needle, an alms bowl and a water strainer. In Vajrayana Buddhism, monkhood is part of the system of 'vows of individual liberation'; these vows are taken in order to develop one's own personal ethical discipline.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Monk in Car Accident Raises Driving Debate

No need for a debate, Monks shouldn't be driving and having I phones and  money in the bank .

Monks aren't suppose to have  any possession except.  

The Bhikkhus are only allowed 4 items (other than their robes): a razor, a sewing needle, an alms bowl and a water strainer. In Vajrayana Buddhism, monkhood is part of the system of 'vows of individual liberation'; these vows are taken in order to develop one's own personal ethical discipline.

Yea ok but Thai 'monkism' is different   :crazy:

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Yea ok but Thai 'monkism' is different   :crazy:

So What's the difference . All same to me they can Own Sweet Bugger all

The Common Items Owned by a Thai Buddhist MonkAll Buddhist monks in Thailand will own items such as an alms bowl, robe, razor and whetstone, tea kettle, holy water bowl, mosquito net, monk manual, cloth bag, canteen, sandals, water filter, bath towel, blanket, and umbrella.May 4, 2566 BE

6 minutes ago, digger70 said:

The Common Items Owned by a Thai Buddhist MonkAll Buddhist monks in Thailand will own items such as an alms bowl, robe, razor and whetstone, tea kettle, holy water bowl, mosquito net, monk manual, cloth bag, canteen, sandals, water filter, bath towel, blanket, and umbrella.May 4, 2566 BE

Don't forget the latest mobile phone , all Monks seem to have a mobile phone 

41 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Don't forget the latest mobile phone , all Monks seem to have a mobile phone 

Yea , that's the Wannabe and Novice  Monks .

Not the Real monks ,they own nothing much.

4 hours ago, digger70 said:

Yea , that's the Wannabe and Novice  Monks .

Not the Real monks ,they own nothing much.

I wonder what happens to all that Booze i see them buying almost every week in Big C then ?

17 hours ago, digger70 said:

Current up to date mobil phone, refrigerators, ( well stocked ) cook tops, shower system, wide variety of amulets for sale, cigarettes, lottery tickets

• Thumbs Up 1