Doctor for Skin cancer check

Just wondering if anybody knows of a doctor who has a dermatology clinic outside of the major hospitals that does skin cancer checking. Nothing specific, just an annual check.

It seems to be fairly common for doctors to have private clinics outside of their regular day job at the hospital and have had good experiences at these in the past.

Moved to the health forum.

Most Thai dermatologists have  limited experience with skin cancer as it is not common in Thais.

Stand alone derm clinics tend to be cosmetically focused.

in Pattaya, see Dr. Anna at BPH, she specializes in skin cancers. There isn't a stand alone clinic option that will give you what you need in this respect.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Most Thai dermatologists have  limited experience with skin cancer as it is not common in Thais.

in Pattaya, see Dr. Anna at BPH, she specializes in skin cancers. There isn't a stand alone clinic option that will give you what you need in this respect.

Thanks, Sheryl. I did suspect as much.

I guess young Thai girls are coughing up more cash than wrinkly old expats! 

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Is that the same for removing sun spots? I was told by Doc that removed 4 sun spots last year that they could have become cancerous within 6 months, but when I google now it says sun spots are removed for cosmetic reasons? So confused as who cares if I had 3 cosmetic sun spots on my back and 1 on my forehead?

My latest sun spot (looks the same as before) appeared out of nowhere on my face, left cheek

Edited by Pattaya57

19 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Is that the same for removing sun spots? I was told by Doc that removed 4 sun spots last year that they could have become cancerous within 6 months, but when I google now it says sun spots are removed for cosmetic reasons? So confused as who cares if I had 3 cosmetic sun spots on my back and 1 on my forehead?

My latest sun spot (looks the same as before) appeared out of nowhere on my face, left cheek

Sun spots (actinic lentinilges) are benign and do mot hecome cancerous. They only need removal for cosmetic reasons.

However it can be difficult to distinguish between actinic lentinges and actinic keratosis,   and the latter do occasionally become cancerous. 

Most Thai dermstologists have little experience with either.  And IPL treatments, which are excellent for this, are (1) hard to find here and (2) where available  usually given at way too low a setting.  I've given ip on it here and wait till I'm back in the US to get it done.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Sun spots (actinic lentinilges) are benign and do mot hecome cancerous. They only need removal for cosmetic reasons.

However it can be difficult to distinguish between actinic lentinges and actinic keratosis,   and the latter do occasionally become cancerous. 

Most Thsi dermstologists have little experience with either. 

I wanted to reply with the still "confused emoji" but went with the "Thanks" emoji instead.

I saw a documentary about 10 years ago where a guy died of skin cancer and the Wife's video 6 months prior showed a brown spot on his face that wasn't there before. They basically said that's what killed him.

If that's true, how are sun spots cosmetic (my Doc clearly told me better to remove the 4 spots as they could become cancerous)

Did my doctor lie to me me for peanuts (the annual skin check + 4 sun spot removals cost me only $32 after medicare)

1 minute ago, Pattaya57 said:

I wanted to reply with the still "confused emoji" but went with the "Thanks" emoji instead.

I saw a documentary about 10 years ago where a guy died of skin cancer and the Wife's video 6 months prior showed a brown spot on his face that wasn't there before. They basically said that's what killed him.

If that's true, how are sun spots cosmetic (my Doc clearly told me better to remove the 4 spots as they could become cancerous)

Did my doctor lie to me me for peanuts (the annual skin check + 4 sun spot removals cost me only $32 after medicare)

Did your doctor specifically tell you these were "sun spots" ? 

If they were in fact actinic keratoses (which can look very similar) then removal makes sense. 

19 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Did your doctor specifically tell you these were "sun spots" ? 

If they were in fact actinic keratoses (which can look very similar) then removal makes sense. 

No, I assumed they were sun spots, he said they should be freeze burned off as they could become cancerous (never called them a specific name)

Anyway, I'm in Pattaya and I have another one on my face that just appeared out of nowhere 2 weeks ago. Gets more noticeable to me every day. I'm now thinking I should do a trip to Aus to check it out since there doesn't seem to be any skin cancer clinics in Pattaya or Thailand to check it out?

Edited by Pattaya57

3 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

No, I assumed they were sun spots, he said they should be freeze burned off as they could become cancerous (never called them a specific name)

Anyway, I'm in Pattaya and I have another one on my face that just appeared out of nowhere 2 weeks ago. Gets more noticeable to me every day. I'm now thinking I should do a trip to Aus to check it out since there doesn't seem to be any skin cancer clinics in Pattaya or Thailand to check it 

In Thailand, outpatient clinics are located in hospitals.

As stated earlier in this thread, Dr. Anna in the BPH skin clinic is good choice. Worked in US, specializes in skin cancers, speaks fluent English.  https://bangkokpattayahospital.com/doctor/anna-jaruwarn-m/

She can and will do complete skin checks.

There is also a government hospital in Bangkok specifically for dlskin. See this thread https://aseannow.com/topic/1330362-spot-on-my-neck-possible-skin-cancer/page/2/

However no English spoken except by the doctors, won't do oversll skin check just treat lesion you complain of.

• Thanks 1