Queue Jumpers

vegas

An extremely irritating 'lady' tried to jump the queue at the check out at Villa soi 11 today. Each time the first person in the queue paid for their groceries this individual would try to jump in and order a can of pepsi. But, each time the Thai check out girl would completely ignore her (bless her heart) and serve the next person who had joined the line. Eventually the girl lost her patience and warbled 'but I was here first' (which she clearly was not), while wobbling her head from side to side. Again she was ignored but miss wobble refused to join the queue and was still trying to push in as I paid for my groceries and left the store.

Having had numerous <deleted> try to jump the queue in cinemas, fast food places, ATMs etc. it was a real treat to see a Thai girl with the backbone to ignore this rude idiot and make an example of her. Hopefully she's probably still there, trying to buy her can of pepsi.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An extremely irritating 'lady' tried to jump the queue at the check out at Villa soi 11 today. Each time the first person in the queue paid for their groceries this individual would try to jump in and order a can of pepsi. But, each time the Thai check out girl would completely ignore her (bless her heart) and serve the next person who had joined the line. Eventually the girl lost her patience and warbled 'but I was here first' (which she clearly was not), while wobbling her head from side to side. Again she was ignored but miss wobble refused to join the queue and was still trying to push in as I paid for my groceries and left the store.

Having had numerous <deleted> try to jump the queue in cinemas, fast food places, ATMs etc. it was a real treat to see a Thai girl with the backbone to ignore this rude idiot and make an example of her. Hopefully she's probably still there, trying to buy her can of pepsi.

Great story. I have seen similar acts from time to time, but sadly not often enough.

While being a timid kind of guy, I remember a woman blatantly pushing in front of me at the currency exchange in Padang Besar railway station. I gave her a look, shoved back in again myself and slung her money from the counter. I hate behaving like this, but sometimes enough is enough.

Years ago I saw a rather large Australian woman solve the queue jump problem in a Malaysian bank.

As she got to the front of the queue there were a number of queue jumpers reaching in from her sides trying to get the tellers attention. She lifted both her arms and brought them down hard on the queue jumpers’ arms.

The jumpers got the message and joined the queue.

Queue jumping is common practice in some post offices. It really annoys me to see them jump in front with a bundle of business, taking many minutes to complete, when all I want is a postage stamp. :o

In Thailand, queue jumping is common everywhere not only in the post offices. This is one of the many "dislikes" I have to endure in Thailand. Not satisfying with the misdeeds, some even look at those in the queue as "one up on you lot" after their successful act.

I was in line at a small food court at a shopping center near Nana in Bangkok. I had waited my turn. Now I was half an inch from the counter. The words were beggining to come out of my mouth for my order. This Thai male stepped more like pushed his way in front of me. I then by putting my arm out and going side ways to the counter got in front of him to make my order. This was acknowledged by sounds of "oi oi" from other people seated and eating. I heard one Thai lady say, "that is if you do it so will I". She was describing what I did to a friend. The Thai man who tried to shove me out of the way said nothing. I said to him that is rude any where in the world. I don't know if he understood what I said.

I have seen this behavior before. What is up with that?

Some people have told me it is because this man thought that he was of a higher class than myself. Others tell me that some Thai people automatically think that they are of a higher class simply because they are Thai and you are not. Is this true? is this normal behavior?

Edited by philliphn

It's usually nice to let someone in a hurry go ahead if they are Thai. After all, it is their country and I'm just a very grateful guest. If it's a self-centered farang I do get miffed though. It's just something we are all going to have to deal with as the farang population continues to explode with no sign of abatement. The tourist farangs are the worst with the resident farangs not far behind. Oh well... entitlement and assertiveness and outrage are just kind of bred into the farang gene pool and there is nothing we can do about it.

It's usually nice to let someone in a hurry go ahead if they are Thai. After all, it is their country and I'm just a very grateful guest. If it's a self-centered farang I do get miffed though. It's just something we are all going to have to deal with as the farang population continues to explode with no sign of abatement. The tourist farangs are the worst with the resident farangs not far behind. Oh well... entitlement and assertiveness and outrage are just kind of bred into the farang gene pool and there is nothing we can do about it.

Excuse me! If some one is in such a hurry more so than myself they should say something. Or at least make some gesture of explanation. I don't think that Thais that come to the USA let an American ahead of them because this is an American's country.

I for one have been taught to show my best manners to guests!

How do you know that it is a "self centered Farang". Is it by the way they look?

I think that I should be shown good manners. I myself try hard to show good manners and respect for and to Thai people. I appreciate being a guest in their country.

Why is it only good manners to let a Thai person go ahead of you? I have on occassion most recently in the local grocery store offered to let a young woman with a baby in her arrms ahead of me. I did not have more shopping than she did. Nationality did not come into my thinking.

Good manners should go both ways.

Would you rather be right or be happy?

Stop should-ing on yourself and others!

Relax and enjoy...

I would rather be happy.

However, I also subscribe to the unpopular belief in fairness.

As for relaxing, if you had my job this would be a challenge.

After all, it is their country and I'm just a very grateful guest

this has nothing to do with the self centredness and assertiveness of westerners , but all to do with decency and good manners in a crowded environment , something the thais are usually very good at.

there is a world of difference between inviting someone buying a single item go in front of you and your fully laden shopping cart , and that person pushing in front of you uninvited .

but lying down weakly in complete surrender and allowing people to walk over you only encourages the proliferation of the bad manners that we see everywhere these days , in every country and from people of every colour , creed and background.

would you let a falang in a hurry push in front of you , of course not , you would accuse them of being assertive and demanding , and just another falang who arrived in the country after you , i.e. one of the "too many" , whom you think should be back in manchester , michigan or moscow getting more tattoos and not invading your space here.

some people take the " its their country and we are so grateful and thankful to be allowed to breathe the same air , " philosophy to ridiculous extremes........queue jumping , as described in the posts here , is rude and ill mannered , and no body should have to put up with it... no point in being so generously allowed to live here and share the air if we are to be walked over at every opportunity. might as well be an aboriginee in australia , or jewish in syria as a falang in thailand.

it annoys thais in the queue as much as it does falangs in the queue , and i have seen thais get mad when it's done to them.

its bad manners pure and simple , and should not be tolerated.

shop staff should be trained to ignore them , but the class system here ( worse by far than the old british system) precludes that , although i do sense a slow change in society here.

I have seen this behavior before. What is up with that?

Some people have told me it is because this man thought that he was of a higher class than myself. Others tell me that some Thai people automatically think that they are of a higher class simply because they are Thai and you are not. Is this true? is this normal behavior?

No, not so. To the eyes of most Thais, this type of high-class is always viewed as despicable. High class has dwindled a lot since the uprising on 14 October 1973 (students' revolt) when sense of equality has become a norm.It is not the question of nationalism. They just push their ways through and see how far they can get away with. They are all taught in a classroom on the importance of queueing but once they are out of school, everyone is for themselves in boarding a bus.

Yet, when waiting for a motor cycle at a soi, one can always see an orderly queue of passengers and motor cycles. There has not been any announcement on the rules of queueing for a transportation, it is only a question of survival in each environment in this unruly country.

After all, it is their country and I'm just a very grateful guest

this has nothing to do with the self centredness and assertiveness of westerners , but all to do with decency and good manners in a crowded environment , something the thais are usually very good at.

there is a world of difference between inviting someone buying a single item go in front of you and your fully laden shopping cart , and that person pushing in front of you uninvited .

but lying down weakly in complete surrender and allowing people to walk over you only encourages the proliferation of the bad manners that we see everywhere these days , in every country and from people of every colour , creed and background.

would you let a falang in a hurry push in front of you , of course not , you would accuse them of being assertive and demanding , and just another falang who arrived in the country after you , i.e. one of the "too many" , whom you think should be back in manchester , michigan or moscow getting more tattoos and not invading your space here.

some people take the " its their country and we are so grateful and thankful to be allowed to breathe the same air , " philosophy to ridiculous extremes........queue jumping , as described in the posts here , is rude and ill mannered , and no body should have to put up with it... no point in being so generously allowed to live here and share the air if we are to be walked over at every opportunity. might as well be an aboriginee in australia , or jewish in syria as a falang in thailand.

it annoys thais in the queue as much as it does falangs in the queue , and i have seen thais get mad when it's done to them.

its bad manners pure and simple , and should not be tolerated.

shop staff should be trained to ignore them , but the class system here ( worse by far than the old british system) precludes that , although i do sense a slow change in society here.

taxexile,

An excellent response to mdeland. I could not believe reading mdeland's meekness of host and guest relationship. Good manner is good manner whether you are a host or a guest.

However, I don't think class system here is that predominant as the british. Unlike a certain neighbouring country, most Thais are not that protective of their original race otherwise you would not have many Chinese Thais sitting in the cabinet. The society is ruled more by money than your pedigree. It used to be worse than the brits before 14 October 1973 until a group of students without realising it broke the tradition of high class and military rule.

What an absolute load of rubbish. In my 10 years of living here i have never had a farang (tourist or expat) jump the que or push in. My local 7-11 has a good mix of locals and expats and daily i am reminded of this local trait of pure bad manners. I just push my way back in and smile.

Shout "mai dtong reeb" and make a joke about it. "bo dtong faaao" in Isarn.

As mdeland says, better to be happy than right. If you're in a rush yourself, there's something wrong with your life.

Same as on the roads - let those big, bad, black vigos driver out. You won't get any acknowledgement but smile and say, "there but for the grace of God go I"

I don't think queue jumpers should be hung... what I like to do is BODY SLAM them, as hard as I can, will full force... and I don't care if it's an old lady, farang, Thai, a kid, a handicapped person... doesn't make any difference to me.

Queue jumping is theft. These people are STEALING TIME for those who wait their turn patiently.

Irene,

What's up with the; british, Thais and Chinese. This is outragously rude. Was it subconscously or directly communicated?

Not to worry, I'll take it as a simple typo.

I agree with you and taxexile on the points in this thread. Deliberate rudeness in social situations should be actively discouraged.

Mdeland has a nice point, which may be appropriate in the countryside but when it comes to Uni students pushing old ladies out of the way to get the last seat on the bus, it's just plain wrong. This is going on all day every day in Bangkok, and it's our responsibility as adults to stop it when we are there. And yes, the Thais do appreciate it.

(Mdeland, I know that I've changed the example, and I'm not suggesting that you'd support this type of bahaviour.)

If you think its bad here then try: Cambodia, Hong Kong then China, in that order it will allow you to get ready for the Chinese ……………….No manners whatsoever.

What I do and have for many years is; if someone does push in and gets served I say in Thai “that my money is no good here, as you don’t want it so goodbye”…and never go back to that store, gas station, bank branch or whatever

Pattaya is by and far the worst place I’ve been for absolutely no respect for others (In Thailand) followed very closely by Patong

:o

Education is the key

If you think its bad here then try: Cambodia, Hong Kong then China, in that order it will allow you to get ready for the Chinese ……………….No manners whatsoever.

What I do and have for many years is; if someone does push in and gets served I say in Thai “that my money is no good here, as you don’t want it so goodbye”…and never go back to that store, gas station, bank branch or whatever

Pattaya is by and far the worst place I’ve been for absolutely no respect for others (In Thailand) followed very closely by Patong

:o

Education is the key

Have to disagree with you about China, i have worked there many a time and they are far more aware of others around them than the Thai with regards to manners.

My (Thai) wife says that most of the queue-jumpers are Chinese-Thai. To her they stand out a mile, same as bar-girls who might look normal to us but are obviously night-workers to the Thais.

I have been jumped in front of several times. My reaction is to shout "Hey" and push them aside. It seems to embarress them by drawing attention to their behaviour and then I almost always get served first by the assistant who might not otherwise have known how to deal with the situation.

I have also sometimes been ignored by the assistant at a busy counter which had no formal queue. If I was cynical I could say it was racist, but it's probably that they were too nervous to deal with a foreigner. The thing is, you wouldn't get that reaction outside of Asia, would you? Is a German afraid to serve an African? Is an American afraid to serve an Indian? Sometimes the backwardness of this country amazes me.

Thais are pikers when it comes to queue jumping. For a world-class experience you must visit India. I think the queue jumping issue is getting better here. Most banks and a lot of Post Offices now have a number system, and in my experience it seems to work pretty well. More than a few times I have had a cashier behave like the OP's in ignoring the jumper. On the few occasions where people, usually men, blatantly push in and start ordering or whatever ever I just gently but firmly edge them out, look the cashier or whoever in the eye, and talk over the jumper as if they are not there. No need to even address their existence, and I think tends to reduce any potential for confrontation.

I was at a rural train station last Friday, waiting to buy my ticket. The French tourist in front was verrrry slow, which was OK, she's on holiday, has a language barrier and it was thirty minutes before the next train. I didn't mind waiting.

Just as she had finished a young guy jumped in front of me, thrust his money under the counter and made his order. The ticket lady told him to go to the back of the queue. The look on his face made me burst out laughing (I know that it's culturally insensitive, I didn't do it deliberately and would try to avoid doing so in future.), which made him slide away in complete embarassment. He didn't buy a ticket.

I've noticed that most Thais are improving in this area and it's good to see.

Edited by jasreeve17

queue jumping drives me nuts. there is no excuse for it at all. the only time i would excuse it is if i were in the emergency ward at the hospital and someone more ill than me came in.

i usually push back (not literally usually, but i have been known to do so) and tell them that i was here first and to get to the back of the bloody line!

rude. just plain rude.

My Thai colleagues say that they fume when people jump the queue both for the fact that they are cheated out of their place and for that fact that they stand there and take it. In Villa it was an Indian lady who jumped the queue but on every other occasion it has been a Thai, and strangely enough (it seems), rarely Chinese-Thais. Maybe it's the fact that I wear a tie everyday?