‘Deeply Disturbing’ Remarks About Women Birmingham Election Candidate Apologises

Social Media

image.png.2eab6da53f6595c3d3ff117fc5f98629.png

Birmingham election candidate Akhmed Yakoob has issued an apology and vowed to "fight misogyny" after facing backlash over comments he made on a podcast earlier this year. Yakoob, who is running as an independent candidate in Birmingham Ladywood, had previously come third in the West Midlands mayoral election in May.

The controversy stems from remarks Yakoob made during an episode of the Minted Minds podcast, where he stated that "70% of hell is going to be women" and made inappropriate comments regarding domestic violence. During a discussion, a fellow guest suggested giving his wife a "backhander" if she made money dancing on TikTok. Yakoob, a criminal defense lawyer, responded, "Brother, are you saying if she comes up in your personal space, you will defend yourself?"

These comments were met with condemnation from the Muslim Women’s Network UK (MWN), which described them as "deeply disturbing" and questioned Yakoob's judgment and values. In response to the outcry, Yakoob expressed remorse, stating, "I am mortified to listen back to this recording. While banter in an informal setting can often be crude, I should have refused to take part, since the tone of that discussion represents everything I stand against."

Yakoob further emphasized his commitment to addressing misogyny, saying, "Voters in Ladywood will not fall for attempts to distract them from the tens of thousands of civilian women who have been killed in Gaza. But I have learned lessons from this and wish to wholeheartedly apologise. My promise to the women of Ladywood is that, in fighting misogyny, they will always have an ally in me."

Yakoob's campaign focuses significantly on support for Palestine, with campaign posters urging voters to "lend Gaza your vote." The Minted Minds podcast episode, initially advertised as an "emergency meeting" to discuss Palestine, veered into topics concerning women and masculinity. Yakoob's comments included stating that "70% of hell will be women" in response to another guest's remarks about "empowered" women being followers of Dajjaal, a false Messiah or liar in Islam.

During a discussion on how men should behave around women, Yakoob commented, "How much can you lower your gaze? […] It’s natural for men to be attracted to females, so keep our queens at home." The MWN found Yakoob's comments, along with his support for Andrew Tate—who is awaiting trial in Romania on charges of human trafficking and rape—alarming.

"We strongly encourage all women to closely examine candidates’ positions on crucial issues such as violence against women and girls and equality," the MWN stated.

Credit: The Guardian 2024-06-26

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

2 hours ago, Social Media said:

Yakoob's campaign focuses significantly on support for Palestine, with campaign posters urging voters to "lend Gaza your vote."

What does that have to do with Birmingham?

The guy looks like a thug!

• Like 1