Bile Duct stone operation, unsatisfactory results

In a Chonburi province hospital (I don’t want to bring revenge my way), I spoke to a doctor about me waking up every 5-8 days with a very painful sensation at the top of my stomach. My stomach felt rigid. After a few hours the pain went away but it shook me up for a day or so.. This happened 5 or 6 times before I went to the hospital. There was a lot of probing, scanning, with a preliminary diagnosis that i had a bile duct stone.

After an MRI and two days wait they operated on me. A tube with tools was put down my throat. Result: some small stones were removed/excreted but the large one which was causing the problem was too hard to break. A plastic stent was put around the stone; the stent is expected to last 2 months, the tube was removed.

The surgeon told me he’d had cases where they did the procedure one or two additional times. If those didn’t work there would either be an incision in the stomach; there could also be micro surgery. He said the latter options weren’t for me given the state of my heart. 79 years old, afib controlled by drugs, diabetes and lots more. When my heart guy was giving me a post op ekg he whacked me on the chest. My heart had stopped for 3 seconds.

in addition, one of the doctors was quite jovial grabbing the flesh down the middle of my stomach. - he said hiatus heria and laughed.

Back home.just now I feel shaky and my wife is pulling, lifting, half carrying around. The insurance bill of 370,000 was just approved.

Please Sheryl and others experienced let me have your thoughts.

Cheers

Hernia of course. I was given two week supply of GraCEvit(Sitafloxacin) 50 mg and Ursolin cap 250 mg.

big ps, i was supposed tofly to Canada for 2 months; I’ll try to change that to 7 weeks and stay home for a while.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, NewGuy said:

No, I didn’t have any gallbladder removal.)

Did they tell you if you have any stones in your gallbladder? I had mine removed a couple of months ago, it is a very minor operation. I would have thought they'd consider it to prevent any further issue.

Edited by Ben Zioner

Thank you Sheryl. A lot to take in as I’m going half-speed. To clarify. I we went to the hospital this past Friday, they went down my throat on Sunday, I was released Tuesday (yesterday late) and posted that same evening. I have had the stent for 4 days now. I will make those calls this morning and update this thread.

How urgent is my situation? Should I get the operation in the next six weeks or so? If it is safe for me to get it only on my return from Toronto 8 weeks hence; the trip is a nice-to-do, not essential. 

Cheers

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Not clear what the reason is for all the dissatisfaction. Did you expect instant results? Seems the doc knows what he's doing.

Normally results would be immediate. 

Unfortunately in his case, one of the obstructing stones was huge and could not be removed without additional equipment most hospitals lack. The doctors did the correct thing in that situation by inserting a stent  but failed to inform him that there are non-surgical options in at least one Bangkok hospital for getting the stone out. 

So understandably described as an unsatisfactory result.  His bile duct is still blocked by a large stone  with just a temporary fix in place. 

Also unfortunately in his case, he suffered some (hopefully temporary) cardiac complications  from the stress of the procedure and, possibly, the anesthetic if one was used. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, NewGuy said:

Hernia of course. I was given two week supply of GraCEvit(Sitafloxacin) 50 mg and Ursolin cap 250 mg.

Neither of these meds relate to your hiatal hernia.

The Sitafloxacin is an antibiotic.  The Ursolin is a drug to dissolve bile stones. This drug,  if it works at all    takes months to years to do so. It is highly unlikely to do anything for the large stone obstructing your bile duct but may help prevent new stone formation in the gall bladder. 

For hiatal hernia, best management  is weight loss, sleeping with head elevated, and no food for 2-3 hours before bedtime. 

• Thanks 1

P S. I neglected to mention, and not clear  if doctors told you  but bile duct stents canmot remain in long. Even if they don't clog/fail before then,  they have to be replaced after 3 months to avoid serious complications.

Much better to just get the stone out so that no stent needed. 

Both stent replacement and lithotropic stone removal entail similar procedure. But the latter, combined with gallbladder removal later on, are a definitive cure. Stents are just a stop gap measure. 

• Thanks 1

As you requested Sheryl, I called the four hospitals mentioned.

1. Bangkok Hospital (Bangkok Branch):023 103 000

I was told by the operator that they do have the ERCP capacity and recommended Dr. Aron Siripon

2. MedPark: 020 233 333

Their operator said they have the ERCP capacity and recommended Dr. Santi Kulpatcharapang as well as Dr. Panipa Piyachapturrwat. That last name due to my old ears is probaby mispelled.

3. Bumrungrad: 020 668 888

Their operator said they’ve the equipment and recommends Dr. Yubstan Satpawat, Dr. Tarrat Mekarowkamor, and Dr. Tessatol Kerbbsiricharat.

4. Samitivej (Sukhumvit Branch): 020 222 222

Their operator said equipment available, recommended Dr. Rewat Boonanuwat, Dr. Pathipat Deuboronponykase, and Dr. Suppawat Jiraphairont.

Everything very  professionally done. Bangkok Hospital’s computer system could bring up 18 years of data from Pattaya, I haven’t gone to Bumrungrad for 6 years and haven’t been to either of the remaining hospitals.

i hope this helps.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, NewGuy said:

As you requested Sheryl, I called the four hospitals mentioned.

1. Bangkok Hospital (Bangkok Branch):023 103 000

I was told by the operator that they do have the ERCP capacity and recommended Dr. Aron Siripon

2. MedPark: 020 233 333

Their operator said they have the ERCP capacity and recommended Dr. Santi Kulpatcharapang as well as Dr. Panipa Piyachapturrwat. That last name due to my old ears is probaby mispelled.

3. Bumrungrad: 020 668 888

Their operator said they’ve the equipment and recommends Dr. Yubstan Satpawat, Dr. Tarrat Mekarowkamor, and Dr. Tessatol Kerbbsiricharat.

4. Samitivej (Sukhumvit Branch): 020 222 222

Their operator said equipment available, recommended Dr. Rewat Boonanuwat, Dr. Pathipat Deuboronponykase, and Dr. Suppawat Jiraphairont.

Everything very  professionally done. Bangkok Hospital’s computer system could bring up 18 years of data from Pattaya, I haven’t gone to Bumrungrad for 6 years and haven’t been to either of the remaining hospitals.

i hope this helps.

Thanks.

Every place can do ERCP. Did you specify ERCP with lithotropy?

Both of thd doctors mentioned at Med Park have experience removing large stones with lithotropy.  and have published about it.  They are

https://www.medparkhospital.com/en-US/doctors/dr-panida-piyachaturawat

https://www.medparkhospital.com/en-US/doctors/dr-santi-kulpatcharapong

Assuming Med Park has the  equipment, you should be fine with  them.

• Thanks 1

I used the “capacity to do ERCP with mechanical lithotripsy” phrase on each call, sometimes spelling it out.  I will try to get a consultation with a MedPark doctor next week and then start the insurance outpatient procedures. MedPark will tell me when I should have the procedure, I guess.

Thank you so much.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 weeks later...