Milk Bottle Steaming?

nikster

That's the one we got as well, I think. after 9 weeks, we have used it a grant total of zero times :D but that's because we are breast-feeding and everything is going OK with it and no need for bottles. Certainly the most elegant solution to the problem :o:D

It is good to have the bottles clean. Desinfected? How you desinfect mother's breasts? Do mothers do it before breast feeding?

We did nothing other than washing the bottles in plain BKK tap water, same as washing our dishes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the one we got as well, I think. after 9 weeks, we have used it a grant total of zero times :D but that's because we are breast-feeding and everything is going OK with it and no need for bottles. Certainly the most elegant solution to the problem :o:D

It is good to have the bottles clean. Desinfected? How you desinfect mother's breasts? Do mothers do it before breast feeding?

We did nothing other than washing the bottles in plain BKK tap water, same as washing our dishes.

I will agree that there does seem to be some overkill with cleanliness surrounding babies (who are often then dumped on a dirty carpet or floor !) and whilst I think the risks of something material are probably miniscule, you just eliminate what you can, or more correctly what you are told / taught you can !

I am a firm believer that the modern child is overly protected. From foodstuffs to not climbing trees to breaking the odd bone here and there and getting dirty whilst playing, kids are wrapped in cotton wool and they don't experrience the bugs and "bad" things we did in our day (40 years ago) and thus I believe the immune system to be somewhat deficient today compared to yesteryear whilst Play Station skills and obesity are definately on the up !

Edited by torrenova

We used an old rice cooker, it has a plastic steamer tray. Just fill a little water in the bottom and let it do it's thing.

Lot cheaper than 2000 baht for a steamer that only steams baby bottles.

(And to another poster: Also when breast feeding you will find the need to collect some milk and/or water in bottles which then have to be cleaned)

We do the same... a rice cooker works fine. I think its just stupid to buy another device you will never use unless you are planning to have alot of kids then maybe the purchase might make sense.

• 4 weeks later...
We used an old rice cooker, it has a plastic steamer tray. Just fill a little water in the bottom and let it do it's thing.

Lot cheaper than 2000 baht for a steamer that only steams baby bottles.

(And to another poster: Also when breast feeding you will find the need to collect some milk and/or water in bottles which then have to be cleaned)

We do the same... a rice cooker works fine. I think its just stupid to buy another device you will never use unless you are planning to have alot of kids then maybe the purchase might make sense.

We were determined to just use what we had.

So it was boiling in a pot on the stove, until I came home for a meeting late one night to find the place full of smoke. The wife had fallen asleep while sterilising the bottles, :D the fire I put out in the kitchen and subsequent repainting was not fun. :D The place stank for days. :D

We bought the microwave version after that. :o

Believe it or not, mom does take care to keep her nipples clean. Whether that's overkill or not - I don't know. But I figure it can't hurt, I choose my battles... :D

I tend to agree that some exposure to dirt and germs is a good thing that is the really tough chemicals to wipe out every last germ are probably more unhealthy than the germs themselves. But keep in mind that babies don't really develop an immune system until they are 6 months old. They do get a nice immune system boost from mom's milk though.

• 2 months later...

1200baht a steriliser costs from Tesco or Big C. Wouldn't be without it saves loads of time just swill the bottles, nipples, caps clean, put them all on the rack, fill the steriliser with water to the mark, stick the rack in, put the top on, press the button - 15 minutes later all perfectly clean and bug free.

The other life line which we got sent over from the UK was a decent set of baby monitors - don't constantly have to be watching the baby or listening out for any cries. Which is very important when you have a big house . . .

• 3 months later...

Sterilizing baby bottles is a better idea here than in the US or UK. If the water you are washing the bottles in isn't safe drinking water for an infant, then I'd definitely advise a sterilizer just to be safe. If you aren't washing the bottles in hot water, I'd again advise a sterilizer. Sterilizing bottles was a necessary thing back when mothers made an entire day of formula at one time and kept it in the refrigerator. If you only make and use one bottle at a time, it's not such a big issue (except for the safe water issues previously noted). The milk isn't in the bottle long enough for bacteria to multiply excessively. Just be careful not to leave a bottle out in the warm very long. Milk goes bad in as little as 4 hours at 72/21 degrees; it takes a fraction of that time at 88/31 degrees.

So, what's the cost of a sterilizer versus the cost of a hot water heater for the kitchen (assuming safe drinking water, like a reverse osmosis filter, for washing the dishes) for the total benefit you get from each?

don't need it really just a detergent that is anti bacterial is enough. Unless of course you have too much time on your hands now with the new rugrat and all... :o

So we are shopping for lots of baby stuff to prepare for the birth of our first. Yesterday we bought milk bottles. My wife told me we need a milk bottle steamer to sterilize the bottles. It's a machine for about 2000 baht which can do one thing only: Steam-clean baby bottles.

Ignorant skeptic that I am I didn't buy this very specialized contraption - do we really need that? It's not so much the price, I am just trying to avoid collecting useless and never-used-again kitchen equipment.

So - what is it for and why do I need it?

Heh. 10 months on and we have never used a milk bottle - wife thinks it's better to just breastfeed.

The milk bottle steamer, however, is in action every day cleaning all sorts of baby stuff like chewing toys when he was teething, and dishes and spoons and cups now he's eating and drinking. If you're going to go all anti-bacterial, I like this solution much more than chemicals. So I guess it's worked out very well and pro-steamer.

Here in Thailand it's not simply a matter of bacteria. All too often the water here is a good source of parasites like the previously mentioned giardia, or cryptosporidium. Boiling it for 10 minutes is an option, of course. Steaming/sterilizing does the job faster and more effectively, though. A sterilizer is a good "better safe than sorry" investment. Infants dehydrate to a dangerous point extremely quickly from simple diarrhea; it's the worldwide leading cause of infant mortality.

• 2 weeks later...

We have an Avent iQ-24 (I think that's the name) and have used it from day one. Wouldn't live without it just in case. Our boy is now 9 months old and can also keep other things sterilised such as spoons, sippy cups, toothbrush, anything you want really. They are a little more expensive than other ones, but they keep everything sterilised for 24 hours.

• 3 months later...

Hi!

I think it is important to steralise the bottles if you do NOT breastfeed your baby.

The baby gets a lot of infection-resistance from the mother by the breastmilk but for those who cannot/will not breastfeed their babys i think it is important to steralise the bottles at least for the first 4 months.

Also the local water is different in Thailand depending on where you are.

If you choose not to steralize your baby bottles and have your own tank, they have filters to buy in Home pro that will cleanse away most alga from the water. I think they have solutions like some sort of filter for the watertap, if you live in a condo too.

Do what you feel is best for you and your family. :o

Take care!

/comehome

• 8 months later...

Though my wife is predominately breastfeeding (we believe its better for baby and mom!) we do, however use AVENT bottles to give her...with breast milk. We started by boiling water to clean bottles and breast pump, but found this to be too laborious!

We opted for the expensive, but timesaving, Phillips AVENT IQ24 Steamer/Sterilizer for about 5,800baht. Let me tell you this is a livesaver!! Sterilizes in only six minutes! And no back-breaking standing at the stove anymore!

If you can afford it, buy it. On sale at Central Bang Na....not sure where else. Sale ends tomorrow, I think, but check. They also make a less expensive version.

Just my TCW.

• 8 months later...
Though my wife is predominately breastfeeding (we believe its better for baby and mom!) we do, however use AVENT bottles to give her...with breast milk. We started by boiling water to clean bottles and breast pump, but found this to be too laborious!

We opted for the expensive, but timesaving, Phillips AVENT IQ24 Steamer/Sterilizer for about 5,800baht. Let me tell you this is a livesaver!! Sterilizes in only six minutes! And no back-breaking standing at the stove anymore!

If you can afford it, buy it. On sale at Central Bang Na....not sure where else. Sale ends tomorrow, I think, but check. They also make a less expensive version.

Just my TCW.

huh? back-breaking? i use a pot full of boiling water, its easy! just routine now once a day, we have about 10+ bottles to clean per day.

with no previous experience, we first washed the baby bottles with baby detergent liquid and rinsed, than put them into boiling water.

we was told the bottles only needed to be in the boiling water for a few minutes, having to do this almost everyday. we decided to buy a sterilizer,

which was 2000 baht, and well worth buying, saving time and hassle. i also think sterilizing the bottles is a good idea,

to prevent tummy upsets e.g reading this thread seems everyone thinks different.

Edited by patong

• 1 month later...
with no previous experience, we first washed the baby bottles with baby detergent liquid and rinsed, than put them into boiling water.

we was told the bottles only needed to be in the boiling water for a few minutes, having to do this almost everyday. we decided to buy a sterilizer,

which was 2000 baht, and well worth buying, saving time and hassle. i also think sterilizing the bottles is a good idea,

to prevent tummy upsets e.g reading this thread seems everyone thinks different.

I've sterilized bottles for first 9-10 months. First in boiling water, then I got sterilizer

from neighbour :) Now we just wash it with warm water and baby detergent liquid.

• 1 month later...

still do the boiling water thingy, baby hasnt had any tummy upsets )

Today I visited a thai family and the girl had a 3 month old baby. She cleans the bottle with detergant and then rinses in the Thai village water!!! (from the hose in ground) No boiling, sterilising or steaming. Yuk and I thought Thais would be super onto hygene like stuff, i guess not all.

I wonder if this is connected to the fact this baby spends nearly all day crying.

• 6 months later...

Now that our twins are 6 months old, I was curious as to what age it was appropriate to stop sterilizing the bottles. When I called home to speak to my mother for Christmas, I was lucky enough to catch her with an old friend who was a pediatrician. I posed the question to her, and she thought I was silly for sterilizing at all. When I additionally explained that we boiled the bottled water before using it, she said I was completely over the top.

Current advice in the US is not to sterilize bottles at all nor boil water for formula unless you have reason to believe there is something wrong with your water supply. She said given I was using a municipal water supply for washing and bottled drinking water I was probably doing more harm than good to my children. Her advice was that the very, very small level of bacteria and contaminants in modern water actually help to stimulate the immune system in small babies. Obviously, too much is not a good thing, but she said there was absolutely no way that our situation qualified, and she recommended we stop immediately unless we found a problem with our supply that demanded it.

In truth, I can see it is kind of stupid to be worrying about a small amount of bacteria in the water. My son and daughter are touching and everything and anything in sight these days and shoving whole hands into their mouths after wards. If they can withstand this, they are clearly capable of handling bottled drinking water for their formula without boiling it first, and just washing their bottles with soap and water is more than enough to lower the bacteria count below what can be considered harmful.

Just thought I would pass this along. If you are thinking about spending a huge amount on a bottle sterilizer, you may wish to do more research first and think again. Also, several websites make the argument that boiling bottles may cause the cancerous agents in the plastic to leach into the formula faster than if you did not boil at all. If you are in the village and worried about your water there may be valid reasons to sterilize. If you are in a city though, it seems that according to modern advice you may be better off saving your money and your time and simply doing as you would for any other member of your family.

For now, we have stopped sterilizing the bottles after use, and while I won't feed them tap water despite the fact that it is supposed to be drinkable in Bangkok, we now use bottled water without any preparation at all.

I still stirilize the bottles after more than 2 years. Tap water is dirty and even if it does not change much, 1 less diarrhea in the year caused by dirty water = 5 less dirty diapers. You are saving yourself from massive poop AND saving mother nature by not wasting 5 diapers.

Very good investment for very little $ at tesco.

It's a little like softener, its not mandatory, but if you can afford it you'll feel a lot better.

Also whatever immune system bugs babies need, they will get from the times you make their milk with cold bottles water in a hurry or from the floor/food/garbage burning next door.

• 2 months later...

ok too late but I have a fairly large rice cooker that I never used before having my baby ( 5 days ago )

I have been using this rice cooker to boil water for his baths, pre-soak his dirty cloth diapers before wash ( machine ) , and yes sterilizing his milk bottles too, works for me.

i just click on cook and let it keep boiling ( keep warm ) until i need it ( usually 10 mins or so )

BREAST IS BEST !!! really it is. only thing I deal with is going braless sometimes, ok back home ( Singapore ) nobody really cares but here .................... hubby cringed when a buddy of his saw me breastfeed my baby at the hospital !!laugh.gif In Cambodia they go topless when breastfeeding, everybody understands ohmy.gif

ok too late but I have a fairly large rice cooker that I never used before having my baby ( 5 days ago )

I have been using this rice cooker to boil water for his baths, pre-soak his dirty cloth diapers before wash ( machine ) , and yes sterilizing his milk bottles too, works for me.

i just click on cook and let it keep boiling ( keep warm ) until i need it ( usually 10 mins or so )

BREAST IS BEST !!! really it is. only thing I deal with is going braless sometimes, ok back home ( Singapore ) nobody really cares but here .................... hubby cringed when a buddy of his saw me breastfeed my baby at the hospital !!laugh.gif In Cambodia they go topless when breastfeeding, everybody understands ohmy.gif

Congratulations on your new baby. I have a 8 week old now. I can't believe that you use the same rice cooker to pre-soak dirty nappies and sterilize your bottles? That can't be a good idea........ I actually invested in the Phillips avent iq24. I have to say that it works just perfectly. All the bottles, breast pump etc go in there, stay sterilised for 24 hours, really no hassle at all. Small price to pay for peace of mind and ease. We too breast feed 90% of the time, but if we are out and it is inapropriate to get the breast out, we use pumped breast milk in bottles. Good luck.

• Like 2

Congratulations on your new baby. I have a 8 week old now. I can't believe that you use the same rice cooker to pre-soak dirty nappies and sterilize your bottles? That can't be a good idea........ I actually invested in the Phillips avent iq24. I have to say that it works just perfectly. All the bottles, breast pump etc go in there, stay sterilised for 24 hours, really no hassle at all. Small price to pay for peace of mind and ease. We too breast feed 90% of the time, but if we are out and it is inapropriate to get the breast out, we use pumped breast milk in bottles. Good luck.

LMAO i only use the cooker to boil the water , after it's boiled I transfer the boiling water into a pail - THEN add the dirty diapers into the pail

by the way is your baby on the formula ? i have to wean him off the breast soon and so far he has been rejecting the formula, or should I just pump and store breast milk ?

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2,000 bath seems a lot. I am sure we paid less than 1,000 in Tesco/Lotus a few weeks back.

We bought ours for 500 baht, used it for 15 months and it has been passed on to my wife's niece.. A cheap thai copy works just as well as the expensive brand names.

I hope your not sterilising his bottles in with the dirty nappies.whistling.gif

• 3 months later...
That's the one we got as well, I think. after 9 weeks, we have used it a grant total of zero times smile.gif but that's because we are breast-feeding and everything is going OK with it and no need for bottles. Certainly the most elegant solution to the problem wink.gifbiggrin.gif

I just read your posts on this thread think too mut and do the complete opposite.

Makes me feel better.

As they say in Thailand....'up to you'

Edited by krisb

The electric advent steamers are great but as people have said expensive.

"You get a microwaveable sterilizer which is great. 200ml of water and 4 mins in the micro."

We used one of these. Cheap to buy and perfectly good for the job.

Advent bottles are expensive as heck. Here in Oz they are approx $25 a bottlew00t.gif