What happened to you, Thailand?

bob smith

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The only spin to add here Bob, is that you're blinded to such a degree by your own negative bias that you suck the oxygen out of every single encounter that has the potentail not to be negative. 

And while no generalisation is true, some of your comments are partially true, but only for a minority of Thai's, not the sweeping generalisations you unintelligently fall into...

The flaw in nearly every comment you make is relying on bias and upscaling these experiences to tar a whole nation..

... Do some Thai's dislike foreigners ?... of course.

... Do all Thai's dislike foreigners ?... of course not.

The simple logic of this seems so completely lost on you that your critical balance and sanity has to be questioned...

...it's hard to be sane in an insane world!

bob.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The eighties and nineties in Thailand were great in so many ways. Then 911 in 2001 changed the world, including Thailand. Everything has been on a different trajectory since then. The smiles are still there, but they aren't the same. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NJHOUSE said:

I hate to agree with Bob but I do. Thais generally aren't worth knowing and are best avoided. Most of them have very few redeeming qualities. Seriously. They are not dependable, they shun responsibilities, they care nothing for your safety on the road or otherwise, they know zero about the world making conversation lasting more than 2 minutes, in any language, a waste of time. Anything they said is unreliable. They are also totally inconsiderate, throw garbage all over the place, go back on their word most of the time, etc etc.. The list goes on and on.

very well said, NJ.

Pleasure to meet you!

bob.

6 minutes ago, NJHOUSE said:

I hate to agree with Bob but I do. Thais generally aren't worth knowing and are best avoided. Most of them have very few redeeming qualities. Seriously. They are not dependable, they shun responsibilities, they care nothing for your safety on the road or otherwise, they know zero about the world making conversation lasting more than 2 minutes, in any language, a waste of time. Anything they said is unreliable. They are also totally inconsiderate, throw garbage all over the place, go back on their word most of the time, etc etc.. The list goes on and on.

But at least they did invent mango and sticky rice. And don't forget the elephants, the beaches, tuk-tuks, the temples, markets and massages. It's all there!

17 minutes ago, NJHOUSE said:

I hate to agree with Bob but I do. Thais generally aren't worth knowing and are best avoided. Most of them have very few redeeming qualities. Seriously. They are not dependable, they shun responsibilities, they care nothing for your safety on the road or otherwise, they know zero about the world making conversation lasting more than 2 minutes, in any language, a waste of time. Pretty much anything they say is unreliable. Most are lazy, living in their parents house because they are losers not because they actually want to be there. They are also totally inconsiderate, throw garbage all over the place, go back on their word most of the time, etc etc.. The list goes on and on. But I must emphasize that I'm speaking in general and not painting them all with the same brush. 

So you moved to love amongst losers.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Haven't read through the thread so maybe repeating stuff. I am in a kind of retirement or practice for retirement in the touristy Jomtiem. I have limited experience of this area but everyone seems the same as my experiences back from 2003 - friendly, a bit shy, generally nice. Haven't seen a bad side yet. Some staff at the night market a bit abrupt but that's reasonable when dealing with annoying tourists all day. Changed a bit from 1985 when it was a bit more exotic. I think you may be just sick of it and that sends out an energy to those around you. Could be time to go home.

Haven't you been retired the last 40 years

Retirement from a Australian Government job lol...your having a laff 

Edited by georgegeorgia

So can not reason why some feel like Bob do? 

Why is not Bob feeling like a hunch anymore, where everyone greeting him like a superstar, and treat him like an Royal? 

Some expect to much out of ordinary Thais in deleted jobs given minimal wages for long days dealing with unhappy bobs

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bob smith said:

Most thais on the street completely avoid eye contact when they see a farang walking without their mask on.

some even cross over to the other side of the road, or at the least move as far away from them as possible.

Frankly, I would do the same, maybe even alert the media, if I saw you walking towards me with two of your brutish ladyboys in tow. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

I think the headliane of this topic is all out of place. It would be much better with "What happened to you, Bob, during the years?"

How about "From baller to letcher, my true life story" by BS bob smith. 

Thailand has changed! Been here, minus a handful of years, since 1998.  Tourism grew at least 10x, no parking spaces, Thais have much more money, and we are not too interesting anymore. If we are around, they deal with us and if we aren't it is probably better in many Thais opinions.  Still my preferred place to live but I do miss the good ole days.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, susanlea said:

You either adopt new hobbies as you age or you turn to drinking and complaining. Bob made his choice.

From his various posts, add to that blaming others for his own dissatisfaction, plus a high level of pessimism, stubbornness, resistance to change and resentment. 

1 hour ago, atpeace said:

Thailand has changed! Been here, minus a handful of years, since 1998.  Tourism grew at least 10x, no parking spaces, Thais have much more money, and we are not too interesting anymore. If we are around, they deal with us and if we aren't it is probably better in many Thais opinions.  Still my preferred place to live but I do miss the good ole days.

Thats the best analysis of the situation  have ever seen.

Plus we are older and fatter.

• Thumbs Up 1