What has happened to Wise Transfers lately

Using Wise, I transferred some money  from my  bank  six days ago.. They assured me it would arrive in a few days. It has yet to arrive. I called my Thai bank and they have yet to receive it. I went onto the Wise website. and it said that my transaction is pending. What changed I wonder. It wasn't pending when I made the initial  transaction. I was then told to go to my mobile phone and open an email they sent me. I then had to follow a set of instructions. I followed the instructions and nothing happened. Then a notice appeared stating that they were sorry and having problems and should try again. I wonder where my 5000 is. It's not in my bank in Canada or in Thailand. This is beginning to worry me. Maybe it's unwise to use Wise. A few month back I go my money in about 20 minutes. What has happened.

I sent a message to Wise and they actually called me back. They told me there is an updated verification process that I have to complete before I can make a transfer. They told me that they would email me the procedures. It entails selfies and photos of a drivers license or passport. This was not necessary for my previous transfers. I ask him where my money is now and he  said they have it. I actually cancelled the transfer before he called. He told me the money would be sent back to my bank in a few days. 

Maybe it's related to that mysterious data breach at their (former) US partner bank?

There’s been a data breach at Evolve Bank & Trust.
Evolve Bank & Trust is a regulated bank that we worked with from 2020 until 2023 to provide your old USD account details. They’ve recently been affected by a data breach and some of your personal information may have been involved.

I got this email but seems I am not affected, expecting money (EUR -> THB) tomorrow afternoon.

The mail also warns about possible pishing mails with personal details and that I should check transactions carefully.

https://wise.com/de/help/articles/1Tyvn34K9tp08aZ0y0Hqe0/data-breach-at-evolve-bank-trust-in-the-us

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, khaepmu said:

Using Wise, I transferred some money  from my  bank  six days ago.. They assured me it would arrive in a few days. It has yet to arrive. I called my Thai bank and they have yet to receive it. I went onto the Wise website. and it said that my transaction is pending. What changed I wonder. It wasn't pending when I made the initial  transaction. I was then told to go to my mobile phone and open an email they sent me. I then had to follow a set of instructions. I followed the instructions and nothing happened. Then a notice appeared stating that they were sorry and having problems and should try again. I wonder where my 5000 is. It's not in my bank in Canada or in Thailand. This is beginning to worry me. Maybe it's unwise to use Wise. A few month back I go my money in about 20 minutes. What has happened.

No need to worry. It will turn up in your bank account eventually.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, khaepmu said:

Have you changed your bank or account recently at the Canada end?    

10 minutes ago, Everyman said:

I’ve had no problems with Wise. Just sent 20k and it arrived in seconds. 

I did a transfer on Friday evening from the UK to Bangkok Bank from my Borderless account and it should be there around 3 minutes past 2 pm tomorrow, as usual. I have only had 1 problem with Wise about 5 years ago and that was sorted when Wise tagged my BKK account, I have had no problems since.

8 hours ago, khaepmu said:

I sent a message to Wise and they actually called me back. They told me there is an updated verification process that I have to complete before I can make a transfer. They told me that they would email me the procedures. It entails selfies and photos of a drivers license or passport. This was not necessary for my previous transfers. I ask him where my money is now and he  said they have it. I actually cancelled the transfer before he called. He told me the money would be sent back to my bank in a few days. 

Sounds to me like you've been using the Wise app to initiate your transfers. Once your money ends up back in your Canadian bank why not try initiating an online internet transfer instead? I've personally dumped their app in view of the cumbersome verification nonsense they now seem to be insisting on. In my experience the verification process involved in initiating online internet transfers merely involves you re-entering your password every now and then!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

10 hours ago, OJAS said:

Sounds to me like you've been using the Wise app to initiate your transfers. Once your money ends up back in your Canadian bank why not try initiating an online internet transfer instead? I've personally dumped their app in view of the cumbersome verification nonsense they now seem to be insisting on. In my experience the verification process involved in initiating online internet transfers merely involves you re-entering your password every now and then!

Interesting. I use the Wise app for all my transfers and there is no extra verification process for me. I enter my pin/fingerprint once to log into the app and that's it. When I first opened the account, I had to provide selfies with passport to verify my identity, but nothing like that since then.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Many years of using Wise have taught me some simple lessons.

1. Unless you have to, do not use the  'Funds for long term stay' option. That always introduces a delay.

2. The earlier in the day you initiate your transfer request, the more chance you have of getting an instant payout into your Thai bank account. Almost all of my transfers are initiated at just after 6am. (7am when the UK move their clocks back) and they invariably arrive instantly.

If I delay my request, as I have done this morning, I have to wait awhile. They've just just quoted 2 hours, but I'm not holding my breath. Fortunately I'm in no hurry for it. I'm attributing this delay to the simple fact that I've probably joined a queue, which I would otherwise have avoided.

I did mine at 6.30am this morning.  But I suppose at this time of the month, numerous transfers were going through.

No rush, I was merely surprised at using the same reason, produced a different time frame this time around.

• Thumbs Up 1

What is the cutoff amount between an ACH and a wire transfer? After one of my recent transfers (US bank to BBL) Wise sent me a message: "you would have saved $xx.xx by using a wire transfer instead of an ACH transfer. I imagine the magic number is between $2500 and $7000.