Negative Stereotypes About Thai Women in Relationships with Foreigners

Alpha84

7 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Understand that most Thai women in Thailand are with Thai men and are pretty happy.

Really? Why would you assume, just because they are in a relationship with their own race, that they're pretty happy? Do you think that's the same in most other Asian countries too?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

49 minutes ago, Alpha84 said:

Something that's been on my mind a lot is all the negative stereotypes Iv'e read in AN forum posts surrounding relationships with Thai women. I wonder how true they are or if there are a lot of misconceptions and false statements being made. 

One exhausting stereotype I read over and over again is the idea that Thai women are only interested in Western men for financial security. While I know that money can be a factor in any relationship, is it fair to paint so many Thai women with the same brush? They can't all be looking for just one superficial thing. 

I've also seen firsthand a few long-term relationships between foreigners and Thai women that seem to be based on genuine love and mutual respect, but I can't be sure because it's very easy for people to act a certain way in public amongst groups of friends versus when they are alone together in private. 

Another stereotype is that Thai women are submissive or passive in relationships. Hard to imagine that is true across the board either. Thai society appears fairly diverse so I assume that so are many of the Thai women as well. I'll bet there are plenty who are assertive, independent, and equal partners in their relationships. In fact, I've also read stereotypes about Thai women saying the complete opposite and that they're aggressive, sometimes even violent, and emotionally immature and unstable. So I've seen two stereotypes that contradict each other. I assume both have some degree of accuracy, but I'm wondering which is the more dominant stereotype in daily reality. 

Local media doesn't help though with its added amount of sensationalized stories often reinforcing these stereotypes. It's like they're wanting to always paint this one-dimensional picture of Thai women that probably doesn't do justice to the real complexities of an actual romantic relationship.

What really matters in any relationship I think are things like shared interests, an emotional connection, and a degree of mutual understanding and willingness to compromise at times when needed. Those are the things that make a relationship work it seems, regardless of cultural backgrounds.

I wonder if others have encountered these stereotypes in their own real life experiences or if in reality it's something completely different in the real world than what I've observed so heavily written about here online. 

Those who have something positive to say about Thai women is:

Either stupid or Blind

Or both in combination

• Confused 1
  • Sad 7

1 minute ago, Berkshire said:

Funny you should mention "baseless assumptions."  Isn't that what you're all about?  I'm in Chiang Mai and I see normal Thai couples all over the place.  If you're in Pattaya, you will see something completely different.  Believe what you want, doesn't really matter to me.

You seem obsessed with Pattaya. Maybe you go move there.

But more on topic, I don't know what seeing normal Thai couples all over the place means. I assume that means you have no deep firsthand knowledge of local Thai relationships and are basing your assumption that they are happy based on how you see them walking around together at one of the big Central malls in CM on the weekend.

So, this is going nowhere. I thought there might be some basis for your statements. Seemingly not. 

• Haha 1

Thai women are not submissive. I don't know how that myth got started. Only thing I can think of is it comes from the "up to you" rejoinder you often hear from bar girls. Most of the time that's said out of apathy or in an effort to feign compatibility. If you want to understand the true nature and temperament of Thai women observe how they behave in their relationships with Thai men. 

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

Perhaps you are showing up your own lack of education or ability to read English text 🙂

Oh wow, you've really nailed it. How did you become so insightful? That's definitely something I deeply struggle with!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, theblether said:

Will you please stop posting digital litter. Are you that lonely? 

Digital litter. Not bad. Gave me a giggle.

How about another 500 word essay from you that I can't even be arsed to read because it starts out like a slow toilet leak. 

Lonely? In Thailand? Is that even possible? Would take too much effort, I can't be bothered. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Thai women are not submissive. I don't know how that myth got started. Only thing I can think of is it comes from the "up to you" rejoinder you often hear from bar girls. Most of the time that's said out of apathy or in an effort to feign compatibility. If you want to understand the true nature and temperament of Thai women observe how they behave in their relationships with Thai men. 

But "Thai man no good!!!" 

Any farang that genuinely believes that should just make their way to the airport and eff off. 

No one knows Thai women better than Thai men. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, theblether said:

But "Thai man no good!!!" 

Any farang that genuinely believes that should just make their way to the airport and eff off. 

No one knows Thai women better than Thai men. 

How many Thai men are you friends with that act like well adjusted, mature adults? 

1 minute ago, RSD1 said:

Digital litter. Not bad. Gave me a giggle.

How about another 500 word essay from you that I can't even be arsed to read because it starts out like a slow toilet leak. 

Lonely? In Thailand? Is that even possible? Would take too much effort, I can't be bothered. 

Dunning-Kruger strikes again.